X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• isadora
    started a topic The Facebook

The Facebook

This is a thread where you can post the things you *wish* you could say on Facebook.

Thing that irritates me today: People who post cryptic things and then will not respond to direct questions about the cryptic thing. This happens almost daily on my flist!

• LaaLaa
    replied
    Hah! What I super hate are requests from the friends of friends! I keep asking "Have I ever met this person? Was I drunk?" and the answer is always "Never! I went to high school with her."

I'm sure the product is fine, but if you're working your pitch into a post of your kid's 9th birthday party...

Leave a comment:

• isadora
    replied
    My friend just yesterday was telling me her friend that sells Rodan & Fields is like a before and after picture and she's thinking of using their products! Haha!

But, yeah, this is mostly true for me:

Leave a comment:

• LaaLaa
    replied
    Ugh. First my feed was full of Plexus and now it's Rodan and Fields. I get that they gotta hustle, but yeah, how about giving the spiel in person so I can shut it down just once?

Leave a comment:

• vanessa
    replied
    Two separate people (who do not know each other) on my Facebook friends list are selling Rodan + Fields. I can't even with that pyramid scheme; I think I'd rather they were pushing their love of Donald Trump on me.

Leave a comment:

• emmaleigh
    replied
    One of my friends got diagnosed with a super rare condition and the people she's found through a closed FB support group have changed her whole outlook for the better.
    This is good to know, Laa.

If it's not making you feel more hopeful, you can always ditch.
    I think joining the group could be really helpful. Like Laa said, you can always ditch if it's not your cup of tea, but it's better than nothing.
    Very true. I can opt out whenever I want. My initial motivation wasn't even so much for support since I plan on lurking but to familiarize myself with the procedure and recovery.

Usually there will be people in the group who make everything worst case scenario and drag me down (I need positive thinking). And I find it makes me fixate on something even more than I ordinarily would (which is saying something, because I can be a little obsessive when something is worrying me).
    This is the only thing giving me pause. I tend to be fairly neurotic to begin with so sometimes I wonder if it's putting stuff in my head that wouldn't occur to me otherwise. Or it's more like, I feel like this has come to define some of the women participating and I don't want to ever be there so I don't want to expose myself to that way of thinking.

Oy. I'm clearly overthinking the effing FB group itself. You all make excellent points.

Leave a comment:

• isadora
    replied
    I wish one of my friends would announce their separation by talking about their new boy/girlfriend. That sounds amazing.

Leave a comment:

• vanessa
    replied
    I appreciate the posts where people tell me what's going on with their lives, and usually do not think of it as sympathy trolling. Unless of course it's about something so ridiculously small ("I broke my favorite cup. Pray for me.") or it's announcing your marital separation by talking about the person you left your spouse for (actual thing that I saw announced on FB once).

Mostly I think support groups are good, but there are a few things that don't work for me. Usually there will be people in the group who make everything worst case scenario and drag me down (I need positive thinking). And I find it makes me fixate on something even more than I ordinarily would (which is saying something, because I can be a little obsessive when something is worrying me).

Leave a comment:

• isadora
    replied
    Yeah, an old friend of mine has a history of heart problems. She's in the hospital a lot and just had open heart surgery and was on a breathing tube. Happily, she's pulled through (so far) but without Facebook I wouldn't know these things. It's a great way to keep people up to date who would not normally be alerted. But she never acts cagey or uses it as attention grabbing, if that makes sense, because she gives actual information about her health and her boyfriend posts updates on her page so her friends and co-workers all over the country can keep up with her and send notes of support.

Leave a comment:

• roly
    replied
    Originally posted by emmaleigh View Post
    One of my genuine concerns is being looked at as a sympathy troll on FB (or anywhere, really.) I feel like it's such a fine line.

I totally agree a hospital check-in with no context is a bullshit move.

I joined a closed support group on FB and I can't tell if it was a good or bad idea yet. On the one hand, I feel I'm a little obsessive but these people are like *obsessive* obsessive. I think it might not be healthy (pun not intended.)
    It is a fine line, but there's still a huge difference between letting people know what's going on with you and what my friend did, which was drop a deliberately vague post to prompt people to ask her what was going on. For hours. The former, I think, is perfectly fine. The latter is annoying.

I think joining the group could be really helpful. Like Laa said, you can always ditch if it's not your cup of tea, but it's better than nothing.

Leave a comment:

• SW1237
    replied
    I hate when someone announces their pregnacy or engagement on facebook.and there are those people who just have to say oh girl so glad I don't have to keep it a secret anyomore just to let everybody know they knew first.

Leave a comment:

• LaaLaa
    replied
    One of my friends got diagnosed with a super rare condition and the people she's found through a closed FB support group have changed her whole outlook for the better. If it's not making you feel more hopeful, you can always ditch.
    Last edited by LaaLaa; 11-13-2014, 12:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• emmaleigh
    replied
    One of my genuine concerns is being looked at as a sympathy troll on FB (or anywhere, really.) I feel like it's such a fine line.

I totally agree a hospital check-in with no context is a bullshit move.

I joined a closed support group on FB and I can't tell if it was a good or bad idea yet. On the one hand, I feel I'm a little obsessive but these people are like *obsessive* obsessive. I think it might not be healthy (pun not intended.)

Leave a comment:

• roly
    replied
    Because of the App always defaulting to "most popular stories" instead of "most recent" (which drives me bananz, incidentally), every time I've checked today the top post is one of my friends at home with a 1-year old who instead of posting what was going on, just checked in at the local children's hospital. The kid's running a fever but is apparently ok, but of course she's getting eleventy-million "OMG, what's wrong with the baby?!?" posts and while the concern is obviously appreciated, I'm kind of blown away that she posted it in the first place. I never thought she was the type to sympathy troll like that. I mean, I'm pretty sure if my kid was sick enough to take to the ER I wouldn't stop to check in on fucking FB. And if I was doing it to let important people know what was going on...well, I'd have texted or called them, not told them on FB.

Some days, I hate social media and what it's done to all of us.

Leave a comment:

• ophy
    replied
    I never defriend anyone! Mostly because I don't want to deal with the personal politics of that ever.
    Me, too! The whole idea makes me shudder.

I have muted some people, but that's mostly because of political reasons. I have no idea if anyone has de-friended me or not. I once thought maybe an ex-bf from high school had de-friended me -- but when I checked, it was just that he hadn't posted anything in forever. I'm bad at Facebook navigation, though. It could be that hordes of people have blocked me, and I don't even know it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X