Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Lizzie Bennet Diaries Vlog- Whaaaaat!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yay! No more hiatus!

Ep 25: http://youtu.be/DEGm1jRLZiE

I still can't see what anyone could possibly be complaining about. They are nailing this.

Comment

• That was amazing! I loved all the "broken" synonyms.
      sigpic

Comment

• New episode!
        sigpic

Comment

• Ep 27: http://youtu.be/nJm1aj5nZ5k

Kind of a filler episode, but we got some snarky Knightley and some real character progression with Emma.

Comment

• Ep 29: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5j0...9mEmur&index=1

More sister stuff, no Alex.

Comment

• I really, really like Izzie! I like how they portray that the sisters actually love each other. I have no idea what's going on! I'm kind of ready for Jane Fairfax to arrive.
              sigpic

Comment

• ep 30: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFwt9...VB4xalJTiO6eqQ

So . . . . hmmmm. . . .

The Alex stuff was great, but I don't remember John being this big of an asshole in the book? I mean yeah, Emma went about this the wrong way, but then Emma has never actually been in a marriage so of course she doesn't know how to manage prickly situations where partners aren't communicating. 'Surprises' always backfire and this one was clearly going to. That said, Izzy and John's marriage just sounds sucky right now and they need a trained person to help them, not Emma.

. . . which is a problem? I get that Emma makes mistake after mistake in the book as well, but I'd like to see her win something. Emma is supposed to be humbled by events, but this feels a little like a pile on.

Comment

• Ep 31: http://youtu.be/AGtTzDcUgaI

Ah, this made everything right again! Great Alex and Emma stuff (why are they not kissing yet why why why why), and really great sister stuff. Not ashamed to say I got sniffly during the sister stuff.

And Emma got a checkmark in the win column!

Comment

• I kind of expected that she'll win this. It will make her confident enough to try to match Frank with Harriet. I'm soooo loving Emma and Alex.
                    sigpic

Comment

• They needed to turn the heat up just slightly on Emma and Alex to make Emma's upcoming flirtation with Frank have actual impact. I hope they dial it up even more in Ep32.

This adaptation is still nailing it so well, all down the line.

Already starting to wonder what they should tackle next. Sense and Sensibility, perhaps? Would have to really rework it so it doesn't come across prudish and judge-y in today's society, though. Nobody would bat an eye at Marianne's behavior with Willoughby nowadays, and it would hardy lead to any kind of major tragedy requiring her to marry an Colonel. They can't exactly tread the same path they took with Lydia and Wickham in TLBD, either. Hmmm . . .

I don't know. S&S seems like a harder one in some ways, because it's so tied up in the mores of the time. Nowadays you can't be ruined by showing too much affection to somebody unsuitable to marry you, and guys are definitely not trapped into engagements they can't break.

Maybe a gender switch? 'Marianne' could become Elinor's younger brother "Mark', and maybe Mark is a teen who makes a fool of himself over a much older woman who leads him on. Perhaps even a teacher, and he ends up getting her fired and himself suspended or something. That would avoid any direct Lydia/Wickham comparisons . . . however, it doesn't sound like much fun to watch.

I don't know what Edward Ferrars' excuse could be, to keep him from being with Elinor. You'd pretty much have to make him married, (or his fiancee pregnant?), and that's kind of an ickier situation.

Perhaps they should skip S&S and just look at Northanger Abbey instead. A non-haunted house! That could be fun.
                      Last edited by ophy; 02-24-2014, 02:17 PM.

Comment

• Ophy! You opened a can of worms. I have this idea for a modern SS for ages and now, all I want is for this team to make it happen but alas! it never will.

So, more than SS being too dependent on the moralities of the time, it also lacks some of the dry sense of humor of the other books for me. BUT, it can be done and add some sense of humor.

Basically. Willougby is a rock-star. Marianne’s and Willoughby’s story goes as it goes in the book, only the whole world knows about them. So, Willougby really falls for Marianne as much as a narcissistic asshole can, but at the same time tries to get out of a paternity lawsuit, even though he knows the kid is probably his. At the end, it doesn’t have to be that he marries someone else, rather he sleeps with someone else, and he generally doesn’t want to get married. Now, if Marianne is an emotional young person, it’s much more realistic that she’d take it hard, being noticed / loved and then rejected by her rock-star idol.

Now, Elinor and Edward. She thinks he’s gay! (I haven’t really reached that much detail in my head as to why she’d think that, but it can happen.) So, he’s engaged, so he tries to control his attraction to Elinor because he thinks she sees him just as a friend and she tries to control her attraction to him because she thinks he’s gay, after she gets over her initial instinct to dislike him because he’s the brother of her sister-in-law. (Also, Edward is the kind of “behind-the-times” dork that doesn’t have a twitter etc so it’s not too weird he’s the only one who doesn’t watch the videos). His personal life is a mystery just as it is in the books until Elinor meets his fiancée and realizes her mistake but by then he’s abroad somewhere.

Colonel Brandon is, of course, the legal guardian of the girl of the paternity suit. He falls for Marianne. I don’t think that should change.

I think it could work. Marianne is the one with the videos but Elinor appears to every-one of them because she kind of likes the idea. Their financial situation can be that they’re poorish, the way Lizzie Bennet was.

However, I think I’d prefer a funnier book, like Northanger Abbey! I’d love that. Persuassion is, I think, the hardest to do, because it relies on Anne not telling anyone what she thinks.
                        sigpic

Comment

• ep 32: http://youtu.be/ISn2k3F-eoM

Yep, they turned the heat UP.

So!

I do like Willoughby as a rock star. Maybe Elinor is a documentarian following his band for some reason, and Marianne tags along? That could explain the cameras, I guess. Perhaps Col Brandon could be the girl's much older *brother* instead of the girl's legal guardian. Really icky if the girl is a teen.

Still not sure what to do with Elinor and Edward. I mean, it's so hard to play the 'she thinks he's gay' without making a bad misstep there, you know? Hard to find the right tone so it doesn't come off campy or tawdry or exploitative of LGBT identity. And also, hard to sustain as long as they like to play out these adaptations.

Comment

• And my heart grew three sizes today.

Harriet coming in with the ukulele!

NOT NOW HARRIET.

Comment

• Ep 33: http://youtu.be/Gl_hI4O7ArE

Very Alex and Emma intensive, woot!

Comment

• Alex Knightley Q/A: http://emmaapproved.tumblr.com/post/...r-questions-in

I've been seeing him in commercials lately, and it's always so weird.

Comment

Working...
                                X