• Show
Clear All

• isadora
    started a topic You Should Read This

You Should Read This

This is HILARIOUS:

http://the-toast.net/2015/02/04/chan...tum-boyfriend/

If Channing Tatum Were Your Boyfriend

2. If Channing Tatum were your boyfriend, he would think you were so smart. “Babe, you are so smart,” he would say, while welding at you.
    4. If Channing Tatum were your boyfriend, all your ex-boyfriends would be suuuuuch snide assholes about it, but they would also be filled with despair and self-loathing.

7. If Channing Tatum were your boyfriend, he could probably do that thing you’ve seen in movies where he lifts you up and holds you effortlessly against a wall during sex.

• ophy
    replied
    I don't mean to be posting all The Toast stuff on here, and I feel like we've talked about this very topic on here somewhere before, but this essay on consent is just so IMPORTANT.

http://the-toast.net/2015/11/09/cons...onsent-trauma/

These are discussions that women/people should be having! And as my daughter races toward puberty (just ordered a My First Period kit for her to have on hand just in case she's an earlyish bloomer), I've been thinking a lot about how you talk about all this gray area around consent and complicity to young women. I might save this one for her to read when she's sixteen.

Leave a comment:

• ophy
    replied
    For those of us that like quirky sites like The Toast, this was an interesting Storify:

https://storify.com/petersterne/nico...on-indie-media

I honestly hadn't thought about their revenue stream but yeah, this makes sense. Either you have corporate overlords, or you have an Eccentric Millionaire in your back pocket, or you *are* an Eccentric Millionaire. Otherwise, you are shit outta luck.

(so thank you very much Nicole Cliffe's Rich Husband.)

Leave a comment:

• LaaLaa
    replied
    I thought it was aight for muzak, but my guy friends that were like, "Whoa! Those songs are good now!"...

Leave a comment:

• roly
    replied
    I heard his version of Blank Space drifting out of a restaurant last night and it was tired bullshit. Those reviewers can go fuck themselves.

Leave a comment:

• isadora
    replied
    OMG THIS ENRAGES ME.

I gave a listen to his shitpile cover album on Spotify and it's TERRIBLE. It's so boring and every song sounds EXACTLY the same and it's just so tedious! I hated it SO MUCH.

Leave a comment:

• vanessa
    replied
    I can't agree with that enough. Everything I have read about his 1989 says the same thing. I love the original 1989 in a completely non-ironic way, and this is just pissing me off.

Leave a comment:

• LaaLaa
    replied
    This isn't funny, but a pal posted this on FB and it's so full of yes.

Ryan Adams’'s 1989 and the mansplaining of Taylor Swift.

Leave a comment:

• roly
    replied
    I maintain that this is just the whole hipster thing taken to an extreme, driven by some underlying psychology. Like, I think she's got about five different personality disorders going on, and her husband is clearly some whackadoodle enabler.

Leave a comment:

• isadora
    replied
    Did everybody spend the last week eye rolling that lady on Vox who "lives in the Victorian era"?

I almost can't believe she's real.

To catch up on my hatred of her you have to read her horrific XO Jane piece and this AMAZING blog post where everybody is nice to her all day, one middle-aged lady touches her hem, she SLAPS the lady's hand and acts like she was assaulted. She writes like a 14-year-old girl who just read a bunch of Victorian romance novels.

That said, she seems to be suffering from a weird mix of narcissism and paranoia.

Leave a comment:

• dada_teacher
    replied
    Ha! I loved these.

Leave a comment:

• ophy
    replied
    YES!! That's basically it. That's the show.

Leave a comment:

• LaaLaa
    replied
    Itís really good when a man could hurt you and maybe spends a lot of time hurting other people but makes an exception in his hurting-people schedule for at least one woman he doesnít hurt, but he could if he wanted to, only he doesnít, so it would be great if he murdered everybody except for you and didnít murder you even a little bit
    That's how I see every couple in TVD, based on the nono thread! Lusty little breaks from murder because of special snowflakes.

Leave a comment:

• emmaleigh
    replied
    Hee. The Robin Hood thing reminds me of one of the best AKends interview clips:

https://youtu.be/2PPkQoQQn-M

ETA: Meh. Can't embed.

Leave a comment:

• roly
    replied
    Oh, that's brilliant. The fox Robin Hood thing is so true it hurts. It also works for Justin the rat from The Secret of NIMH. And I love this one too:
    If a man is calm 100% of the time, like so calm that heís mostly dead, and he only gets boners for his job, because he loves his job so much and heís always sitting at a desk or standing with a phone doing his job, but then all of a sudden he canít stop getting boners for one specific woman and heís mad at her from how much sheís distracting him from his job, which has never happened before, because heís literally never been attracted to even a single woman in the history of being alive in his own body until right now and heís going to straight up murder you with sex because it turns out all that sedate studiousness he thought was his personality was actually the calm before the dick storm
    ​"Calm before the dick storm" is my new favorite phrase.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X