No announcement yet.

Generalized Fashion Disorder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ooh, I can answer this one! Yes, there are people who actually buy couture like this lady and her other billionaire oil friends. She organizes and hosts a huge couture ball every year in Paris and it's a BFD to get invited. And I had a couple girlfriends who interned at PaperCity in college when BCT was still involved with the paper and they've both said that her personal couture collection is cray. Not that they ever got to see it, but that everyone at the paper knew she bought at least 2-3 pieces every year and then would display them like art in her home or donate them for display elsewhere. I also have a girlfriend from high school who works as a personal assistant to a different Houston billionaire and her 2 story closet is full of couture. Between Texas oil peeps and China's Crazy Rich Asians, couture sells more than you might think. The celebs are basically like models for couture and never get to keep it, even precious favorites like DK. Karl couldn't afford to give her every 100 thousand dollar dress she wears so while they might alter it to fit her and others, they all have to send it back.

Comment

Becca Cason Thrash is the funniest real name I've ever heard! It sounds like a name from a TV show!

I guess you add in the Middle East oil billionaires and you can sell a lot of over-privileged people all kinds of bullshit sparkly tokens.
      Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

I almost had a cow when I dropped $150 on my daughter's Homecoming dress (which was really pretty), so the idea of spending thousands on a dress that's not even that pretty (seriously, I think both of those dresses up above are plain looking) boggles my mind.

<--still buys clothes because they are *pretty* and probably always will

Comment

Honestly for that kind of cash you could EMPLOY your own seamstress full time to design your own private label crap that was most likely to flatter you personally.
          Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

Right? Just one of those $100k dresses would pay for two years of your own seamstress who does nothing but sew for you every day. FOR TWO YEARS.

That's an awesome idea, actually. I don't know why more rich women don't just do that. You could bring your tailor/seamstress/dressmaker/whomever any pic or design, and they should be able to replicate it.

Comment

I don't know when I saw it, but PBS had a documentary about the making of couture clothes a few years ago and IIRC, it takes something like 100 hours for 20 people to make one dress so unless your hired seamstress was a robot, she'd take a whole year to churn out a dress anyway. If you're gonna buy one, you might as well have the peeps at Chanel worry about it for you. Some vids if you care- 2009 2013

And here's a long ass one from the BBC. This might have been what I watched a few years ago, I'm not sure. I think the one I watched was a couple hours long and had 3-4 parts, but I could be misremembering that.

Anyway, I know I keep harping about it, but JenLaw's style team is committing one party foul after another. She's supposed to be THE girl for these movies, but Elizabeth Banks is taking a crap on her style game at every premiere. Last night she wore Dior panties! I don't understand how Dior thinks they're having a good showing with these choices for their spokesperson, but it's embarrassing at this point. Just what is this?

Comment

I know I'm not the first or only person to say this, but I seriously feel like Dior HATES Jennifer Lawrence. They consistently give her things that are awkward and ill-fitting and meanwhile, Marion Cotillard gets to go around looking like this.

I think JLaw is MUCH better suited to Calvin Klein and wish she would stick with that.

Comment

it takes something like 100 hours for 20 people to make one dress
                  For a sateen bedsheet sprinkled with jimmies? Beeksus. Hey, I watch Project Runway. You should be able to churn out something like that in under 12 hrs from a birdfeeder and some placemats.

NO EXCUSES YOU SLOWASS COUTURE PEOPLE.

Comment

I hated her premiere dress but, weirdly, the pics I've seen of it from a low angle (which nobody would ever really look at it from) made her look cool, like a super hero. Power of photography.

Comment

• Even that Dior on Cotillard looks ill-fitting, though! What is happening up in that house!

Comment

• They are mean to poor 'ol JLaw (I reckon maybe DK could just about get away with that last horror of a dress).

Comment

• Why.

Comment

• All of her choices make me embarrassed for her.

Comment

• Slideshow of PCA dresses. I wasn't sure if they should go here, or in the awards show thread, but since most of them are WHYYYYYY . . . they go here.

http://www.teen.com/2014/01/08/style...-best-dressed/

My Top Three WHYYYYYYs:

I was okay with Sandy Bullock and Jennifer Hudson and meh about Nina Dobrev. Everyone else has puzzled me.

Comment

• Molly! Why! To be fair, Ashley Rickards' choice looked uncomf, T's sporting extensions(?) that overwhelm her whole body, and Val's boobs are taking over the city.

Comment

Working...
                                X