No announcement yet.

The Study of Swiftology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is why Joe is interesting, because he just seems unfazed.

Right? I don't understand how he manages not to be constantly freaking out.

Yes, v! the Lover music video! was so freaking cute!

A dollhouse! Inside a snow globe!

I like this theory, that each room represents an album:

The love interest was played by Christian, one of her friends who was a dancer from the 1989 and Rep tours:

I like that better than using a random pretty boy model or actor, for sure.

No sleep for Taylor!

She's probably wishing for the quiet days of the rep launch, where she did no press and no promo.

She's spending a lot of time on tumblr while she waits on album reactions . . .

https://taylorswift.tumblr.com/post/187200106475/this-is-important-this-was-the-point-thank-you

Okay, so here are Lover lounge livestream link:

https://youtu.be/dDO6HnY7h24

highlights:

- she read very embarrassing diary entries from the deluxe versions (but not the original All Too Well lyrics, darn it.)

- “I thought Daylight was going to be the title but then I wrote Lover and I thought, that’s the album title!” - Taylor about how she decides album titles. This is justification for the many fans who were absolutely sure she was calling TS7 'Daylight'. Well, it would have been a pretty good name.

-What song was the hardest to write? “Soon You’ll Get Better, it was hard to write and it was a family decision. We as a family decided to put this on the album. It’s something really hard, I can’t sing it, I can’t emotionally deal with that song.” Gah, that one is going to KILLLLLL me.

- She and Stella chatted about the new merch and did a tour of their pop-up shop in NYC. I kinda like the water bottles!

And she said this to a fan during the meet/greet portion:

“WHAT WAS INTERESTING ABOUT THE GAME OF THRONES FINALE WAS THAT IT WAS A REALLY ACCURATE REPRESENTATION OF HOW SOCIETY TREATS SUCCESSFUL WOMEN LIKE DAENERYS. WE WANT TO SEE WOMEN GAIN POWER BUT NEVER LET THEM MAINTAIN IT FOR LONG“ - TAYLOR FUCKING SWIFT TO ME

Issie! The best thing about the live stream was this acoustic performance of The Archer:

https://youtu.be/1qwxqyac0Z8

So yes, the album did leak* and now that so many have heard it and the kays can no longer pretend it's anything but SUPER DUPER HETERO instead they are pretending they didn't think she was coming out this time anyway.

IT'S OKAY, WE'LL GET THE GAY ONE NEXT TIME.

This is just weirdly disturbing:

Speaking of dumb things, here is Scott B. bringing the absolute dumbest argument to the table:

That's real stupid.

* I have heard it** and I LFUHREAKING LOVE IT ALL*** and there are NO SKIPS but that is all I am going to say at this time. I AM OBSESSED WITH IT THOUGH.

** disclaimer: I have already paid for my digital pre-order AND bought a deluxe album for Target for the ogirl's birthday so my listening to a leak took no money out of Taylor's pocket and will not deprive Meredith, Olivia, or Benjamin Buttons of their favorite cat treats.

*** to be fair, I'm pretty easy going when it comes to Taylor's stuff and generally like 98.9% of everything she does so that's something to take into account. But still!!! OBSESSED.

Last edited by ophy; 08-22-2019, 09:03 PM.

Comment

• I have a very busy day and waiting to listen to it all is TOO MUCH. That said, I sneaked in a listen to Soon and I think I can’t listen to that again. Because even though I am mostly at peace with my dead mom, I also miss my mommy.

Comment

• First listen reactions:

Cruel Summer should have been the 1st single released. It's the perfect song for the end of the season, it's one of the best songs on the album, and it feels more representative of the album than ME!

That song about friends at the end was not great (it was bad y'all, like Blake Lively's kid wrote it) and feels out of place.

London Boy and I Think He Knows like OMGHAHAHAHAHAHA BYE Kaylors. But for real, I know a big part of their loyalty to this ship is their belief that the girls are being threatened by the Kushners, but how do they explain that Taylor has publicly taken on Apple, called out a powerful music producer, and advocated for Democratic candidates in TENNESSEE, but she's too scared of Josh Kushner who is part of a family that gets clowned on Twitter and the press by a bunch of nobodies on a daily basis to tell the world she's gay?

ANYWAY, the song about her mom understandably had a lot of build up because of the topic and the collab, but it's just ok? The Chicks didn't even do much on it based on my first listen.

The DiCaprio shade on The Man was A++++++++++++++++.

Comment

• I agree on the Mom song - it’s not the best, but it still made me cry.

Who is Forgot You Existed about? I am hoping Karlie just cause.

Comment

• I can't articulate a legitimate opinion right now. If I were to do a review of the whole album, it would just be a high pitched screeching noise and then AHHHHHHHHHHHHH for 56 minutes.

So far, pretty good critical reviews for the album itself:

I think that's her highest release day Metacritic score? So that bodes pretty well.

This is the kind of thing critics are saying:

Lover does not sound like the work of someone desperate to command the pop zeitgeist and yet is all the more likely to do so. Instead of trying to be all things to all audiences, it plays to the strengths of a witty songwriter in love, eager to tell anyone who will listen exactly how she feels.

Neil McCormack - The Telegraph - Lover review - 4 stars

More than either 1989 or Reputation, Lover seems fully realized and mature: Swift is embracing all aspects of her personality, from the hopeful dreamer to the coolly controlled craftsman, resulting in a record that’s simultaneously familiar and surprising.

Stephen Thomas Erlewine - All Music - Lover review - 4 star

As a start-to-finish dive into Swift’s world, Lover is her best effort since Red, the album that transitioned her from teen phenom to grown-up superstar. “Old Town Road” is no longer at the top of the charts, but it’s still a tough climate for pop, and Lover probably won’t score as many top 10 hits as its smash predecessors. But Swift is still forging a strong path for herself, and the record might even be a thesis statement for what pop music ought to be. “I wanna be defined by the things that I love / Not the things I hate,” she says at the end of the closing track, “Daylight.” “Not the things that I’m afraid of / the things that haunt me in the middle of night / I just think that you are what you love.” In an era where so much feels terrible, it’s nice to have a cultural figure who can say that, mean it, and continue to hope that you’ll agree with her.

Kevin Mazur - Vanity Fair - Lover review - Taylor Swift’s Lover Could Hold the Key to Pop Music’s Survival

Lover is a whole lot of album to process, but it’s not exhausting, per se. Rather, it’s musically and lyrically rich, fulfilling in the same way that staying up all night and having a heart-to-heart conversation with an old friend is. Swift sounds comfortable enough in her own skin to invite listeners into her orbit more than ever. She proves once and for all she’s a lover, not a fighter.

Bryan Rolli - Forbes - Lover review - First Listen: Taylor Swift’s ‘Lover’ Is A Masterful, Heartfelt Pop Spectacle

Taylor Swift is no stranger to dropping truth-bombs in her songs. She’s been releasing culture-shifting lyrical missiles for more than a decade, and her seventh studio album, Lover, is no exception. About ten minutes into an hourlong collection of expertly-crafted pop ear candy, Swift serves up what is, in my opinion, the most important song she’s ever written. It’s called “The Man,” and it’s a brilliant portrayal of the subtle and not-so-subtle sexism women face every day. I’ve never wanted so badly for any song on any album to be released as a radio single. “The Man” is a song that literally everyone needs to hear.

Brittany Hodack - Forbes Magazine - Why ‘Lover’ Track 'The Man’ Is The Most Important Song Taylor Swift Has Ever Written

Okay, bits and pieces:

Spotify Storyline:

“With the first song I wanted to bring us out of the reputation era. reputation for me was about grieving the loss of your reputation. This song closes the book on reputation in resolving that whole conflict with a shrug.” — Taylor’s
            @Spotify Storyline for ‘I Forgot You Existed’

“I wrote this song with two people I’m a huge fan of, Jack Antonoff and Annie Clark of St. Vincent. I wanted this song to feel like a desperate summer love that might be doomed from the start.” — Taylor for Cruel Summer’[email protected]

Elvis Duran interview:

"I'm glad that this has shed light on it cause it's sort of an insidious part of our business. I'm happy to take full ownership of this album. The person who bought my art has never made any art in his life so he could never understand that personal connection." - #TaylorOnElvis

“Death by a Thousand Cuts was inspired by the Netflix movie Someone Great. I cried watching the movie and so for about week I started waking up from dreams that I’m living out that scenario. I woke up and was like omg I’m writing a breakup song." - Taylor #TaylorOnElvis

"Benjamin is my new cat and he's phenomenal. But he's a lot. He wants to pounce on cats, he wants to play, he wants to chase cats. He has a new best friend every few days. Some days it's Meredith, some days it's Olivia."
            — Taylor via Elvis Duran Show

"It's a sad bop. Breakups are an important part of the story to tell, and that's when I started to really imagine the scope of #Lover
            . That it's not just about flowers and sunshine, because that's not it at all." — Taylor on Death By A Thousand Cuts #TaylorOnElvis

“It’s about the things that took place and the memories that took place on that street… all the nostalgia. Sometimes we bond our memories to the places that they happen. I wrote it alone and it ended up being one of my favorite songs.” - Taylor on Cornelia Street #TaylorOnElvis

Taylor just said that @treepaine's favorite song on #Lover is 'The Man' #TaylorOnElvis

IT COULD HAVE BEEN YOUR FIRST SINGLE JUST SAYIN'.

Brain Mansfield's take:

For what it's worth, I read that line differently . . . that she's now read all the books by his bed because she's spent so much time there, in his bed, just chilling.

Talking about Joe's ability to handle all of this reminds me of that interview Taylor did of Pattie Boyd in Harper's Bazaar last year about being a muse:

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/cultur...s-pattie-boyd/

PB: But you must do that too. You must be inspired by a few moments or something, the way your boyfriend turns or says something to you or a little bit of a smile or “Is he thinking this or that?,” and that would inspire you. Can you write it the moment it’s happening?

TS: There are definitely moments when it’s like this cloud of an idea comes and just lands in front of your face, and you reach up and grab it. A lot of songwriting is things you learn, structure, and cultivating that skill, and knowing how to craft a song. But there are mystical, magical moments, inexplicable moments when an idea that is fully formed just pops into your head. And that’s the purest part of my job. It can get complicated on every other level, but the songwriting is still the same uncomplicated process it was when I was 12 years old writing songs in my room.

PB: Right, right…

TS: I don’t know what it is that makes some people really creatively inspiring. There have been people I’ve spent a lot of time with who I just couldn’t write about.

PB: Yes, now what is that?

TS: I don’t know. It’s just that some people come into your life and they have this effect on you. It’s really interesting because in your case you inspired that creative output from two iconic musicians. That just blows my mind. It’s very rare!

PB: Well, the more you say it to me, the more it’s blowing my mind.
            TS: You met George Harrison at 19 on the set of A Hard Day’s Night. All of a sudden your life was changed forever because you fell in love with someone who the world was obsessed with. There was no band as big as the Beatles. Did anyone prepare you for the attention?

PB: No. Nobody took on that role. Nobody thought that role would be significant for a start. I remember a journalist coming to our house one day and saying to George, “In all seriousness, when do you think the bubble is going to burst? When are the Beatles going to be finished?”

The fact that she even wanted to do this interview suggested that Taylor had really had to think about this, about what her fame means for her partner, and what it's like to be the person written about.

Ha.

Sessioners are starting to spill deets:

Death By A Thousand Cuts:

she wrote the song inspired by the film Someone Great and it’s about a breakup and the emotions you feels, like painful cuts all over your body. When she dropped the name of the film on Ellen, the screenwriter called taylor saying that she was inspired by Clean when she broke up and wrote Someone Great!! so it’s like clean>someone great>death by a thousand cuts

From the creator of Someone Great (which is honestly a good movie and made me cry too):

It's Nice To Have a Friend:

it’s nice to have a friend? It’s inspired by the film 8th grade and the fact that as soon as she made a best friend, she couldn’t stop talking about her and annoyed andrea so much AHAHAH

Miss Americana:

https://alisonsmouth.tumblr.com/post/187207720898/tshifty-alrightyyyyy-were-gonna-break-down

This song just so PERFECTLY encapsulates the dread we all feel waking up in this hellscape each day. Taylor told the sessioners that she hasn't hung up an American flag or celebrated Taymerica in three years because of Trump. I hear ya, girl!

I think they are going to release some of the secret session audio during her Sirius XM event today, which might give even more insight on individual tracks.

More bits:

Original ATW lyrics from one of the deluxe editions:

‘I walked through the door with you. The air was cold. Pictures on the fireplace, you’re showing me around.’ - the original ‘All Too Well’ opening lines.

‘There we are again when you blew the candle out. Took this blazing love, steered it right into the ground. Running scared, I was there.’ - original ‘All Too Well’ lyrics

‘There we are again, you’re crying on the phone. Realized you lost the one real thing you’ve ever known.’ - the original ‘All Too Well’ bridge

‘You’ll mail back my things in a box with no note. Except for that scarf from the very first week. Yeah, you keep it in your drawer ‘cause it smells like me.’ - original ‘All Too Well’ lyrics

I think she made all the right editing calls here.

What she said about Kanye in the deluxe edition:

https://hashbrownswift.tumblr.com/post/187214161430/billboard-spoke-to-the-producers-reporters-and

Taylor actually liked that theory about the dollhouse, and the expansion of it:

https://rainstorms-and-houses-of-cards.tumblr.com/post/187201630276/guys-her-mind-fucking-yes-yes-yes-yes-wait-it

Which makes sense, because she said this in that interview:

and she also liked this one:

GUYS WAIT.. IN THE BEGINNING OF THE ME! VIDEO WHEN TAYLOR AND BRENDON ARE FIGHTING BY THE CHRISTMAS TREE WITH THE CATS ON THE COUCH… TAYLOR GOES “AND IN FRONT OF OUR YOUNG DAUGHTERS”… AND NOW THE LOVER MV ENDS WITH TAYLOR AND CHRISTIAN.. ON CHRISTMAS.. ON THE COUCH.. WITH THEIR YOUNG DAUGHTER

I have no idea how her brain can hold so many freaking ideas at once and to be able to plan it all out like that? I forgot to even eat breakfast this morning, just sayin'.

Oh, Kooter.

Scott B. is also trying it today:

Taylor's only response was tweet a suggestion that people listen to The Man. ha!

From her interview with CBS (airing on Sunday):

There's also going to be an interview coming out with The Guardian where Taylor calls Trump an autocrat, so that will be fun!

The media kays are at it again:

She was renting the place on Cornelia Street when she met Joe! Not when she met Karlie! You know who else was seen going into Taylor's rental? Cara D. (many times because she stayed there for a few weeks after her break-up with St. Vincent), Martha, GiGi, Ed, and Tom Fucking Hiddleston. Maybe the song is about ALL OF THEM. This is so fucking frustrating, you are SUPPOSED to be professionals but y'all look like klowwwwns.

More from the non-profesh kays:

. . . ??

They are also claiming this pic from the deluxe is Karlie:

That pic is Karlie because I know her neck size and frame you and your minions keep laughing but we know

I KNOW HER NECK SIZE BUT LIKE< NOT IN A CREEPY VAMPIRE WAY OR ANYTHING WEIRD LIKE THAT.

. . . but it's not her, duh:

Not sure how they are going to deal with these diary pages, though:

Jan 3, 2017: “I get all scared about the future because so much has changed in the last year of my life. I mean this time last year I was living in LA, getting ready for the Grammys and now I’m essentially based in London, hiding out trying to protect us from the nasty world that just wants to ruin things. We have been together and so far no one has found out for 3 months now. I want it to stay that way because I don’t want anything to change or become too complicated or intruded upon. But it’s senseless to worry about someday not being happy when I am happy now. Ok. Breathe.”

That . . . seems hard to spin as about Karlie, gotta say. Can't just slap a beard on her and claim she was in London from Nov - Jan of '16, because she really wasn't.

Or how! BabyTay was counting the days since she last got to kiss a boy!

​​​​​​​

This whole album is such a rebuke of the g/kaylors and yet they are too blinded by delusion to even see it.

Comment

• It takes me a while to warm up to songs, so I am not ready to declare whether I LOVE it yet.

That said, I have some opinions:

I find London Boy kinda embarrassing
              The Man is giving me life
              I like Cornelia Street
              I get the technical goodness of Cruel Summer, but I haven’t warmed up to it yet.
              Agree with Issie, Daylight is not good
              Miss Americana is awesome
              Paper Rings sounds like 15 year old Taylor
              Still love The Archer; it’s just brilliant

This whole album is such a rebuke of the g/kaylors
              For realz, if you think this album is about Karlie (other than the first song), you are just not right in the head. This is a woman in LOVE!!!!! With a British boy, all over an entire album.

I have listened to Soon again and again and I cried all three times. I don’t even know how she made it through singing it to record.

Comment

• After more listens, it seems like I Forgot That You Existed is more about Calvin Harris than Karlie. And I like Daylight ok! I actually like it more with subsequent listens. If I have a complaint about it, it's that it hits a little too close to Halo and maybe Taylor should stay away from anything that draws comparisons to one of Queen B's most popular singles. It's Nice to Have a Friend is the one I find cringey. Soon still isn't doing much for me and maybe it's because I have too much work exposure to this stuff? Also, how are you gonna have Natalie Maines sing on your song and not give her a solo verse? Come on, Taylor. I love Cruel Summer so much. I think it might actually top Archer as my favorite song from the album. We are huge St. Vincent fans in our house and I'm already prepped to love anything that Annie Clark works on so I fully admit my bias.

Comment

• After more listens, it seems like I Forgot That You Existed is more about Calvin Harris than Karlie.

The sessioners seemed to think it was directed more at EVERYONE/THING she left behind in 2016, but I agree that there is lot that points to CH. She used the word 'magical' which harkens back to when she called their relationship that in an awards speech(? or an interview? can't remember) and she also used it in Better Man -- which I realize was more likely to have been written about Jake originally, but the timing of when she passed it off to be released means she was aiming it at CH's head because My Way came out the month before and pissed her off. Of everyone who jerked her around in 2016, I'd think she would be the angriest and most hurt by him. It seemed like a pretty copacetic break-up before he went off script on twitter all of a sudden. Like, she probably thought they could be civil like she is with Harry and Joe Jonas, and still go to each other's shows and stuff, but he switched sides real damn quick.

So the ogirl has been playing the album absolutely non-stop, and it's all getting jumbled inside my head. My brain is like:

lyrical smile indigo eyes hand on my thigh and it's newwwww the shape of your body it's bluuuuue you play stupid games you win stupid prizes Just like Leo in St. Tropez HE LOOKS UP GRINNING LIKE A DEVIL he's got my heartbeat skipping down sixteenth avenue darling I fancy you I don't wanna look at anything else now that I saw you

. . . on a loop 24/7, so I'm basically going mad.

I like this album as much as 1989 or rep. Maybe more? Because duh, The Archer exists. So yeah, I might like it more.

I'm terrible at ranking or picking faves, but I will say that when she asked me to make a playlist for the car, I left off I Forgot That You Existed, Soon You'll Get Better, False God, It's Nice To Have a Friend, and both of the first two singles. I just wanted to listen to the others more, but I don't dislike those songs . . . in fact, I think Soon You'll Get Better is amazing, but as soon as she gets to 'holy orange bottles', I am flat on the floor sobbing like crazy. Yesterday, I was for sure thinking Cornelia St was my fave, but today it's Death By A Thousand Cuts and who knows what it'll be tomorrow.

But gah, this BRIDGE:

My heart, my hips, my body, my love
                  Trying to find a part of me that you didn't touch
                  Gave up on me like I was a bad drug
                  Now I'm searching for signs in a haunted club
                  Our songs, our films, UNITED WE STAND
                  Our country, guess it was a lawless land
                  Quiet my fears with the touch of your hand
                  Paper cut stings from our paper thin plans
                  My time, my wine, my spirit, my trust
                  Trying to find a part of me you didn't take up
                  Gave you too much but it wasn't enough
                  . . . But I'll be all right, it's just a thousand cuts

But I mean, there's a not a bad bridge on the whole damn album.

Y'all want scans of all the diary entries? I KNOW YOU DO:

https://tsdscans.tumblr.com/

Such great stuff in there.

Oooops . . . . Daft Punk says hello.

So this isn't really an album that requires much 'speculation' per se . . the love songs are all about Joe, duh, and there aren't many ambiguous songs. But for the ones (other than IFTYE and DBATC, which we've already discussed) that are being hotly dibated on tumblr, here are the things Swifties have worked out based on session and interview info:

Miss Americana: Already posted about how it's a political metaphor set in high school, but it's not just that -- sessioners say Joe is in there too, because he's the one she runs away with, the only one who helps her deal with the noise of the world. So that makes it a love song, also.

It's Nice to Have a Friend: About a different person in each verse (with Joe's verses at the end), just a meditation on the value of friendship in general, and about how good it is to find that person who makes you feel the way you did when you met your first best friend, and then how good it feels to finally marry your last best friend.

Cornelia Street is also being hotly debated, but that's just because the kays are so desperate for any possible kay krumb on this extremely Joe-centric album. I assume they have latched onto this one so tightly because it's one of the gender neutral ones, but! It's also one of the songs that debunks the album being about Karlie. You can't make it fit her at all, b/c it's so clearly about a new relationship starting up during the few months Taylor lived there, and the kay timeline asserts that Karlie and Taylor were already engaged/sekrit marrieds by that point. Taylor wouldn't have needed to tell HER WIFE that 'oh, by the way, I rent a place on Cornelia Street, ya wanna come over?' in the backseat of a car, right? It makes no sense.

Pretty much all of this from journalist Brian Mansfield:

Tonight, Taylor opens the VMAs and I'm hearing conflicting rumors. It's most likely going to be The Man or Cruel Summer, but! I saw some chatter that she might do two songs, in which case one of those as well as Lover, maybe?

I think she's gotta do The Man because it's the tenth anniversary of THIS:

Kanye would NEVER have done that to a man. Never.

These Lover numbers! Holy hell.

If Lover doesn't win AOTY at the Grammys this time, y'all . . .

Oh, and something new to look forward to on Oct 5 . . .

Taylor (maybe) in a skit with PWB??? PWB on SNL when Taylor performs The Man?? TAYLOR DRESSED LIKE A PRIEST IN A SKIT WITH PWB.

We've got two new high profile interviews with loooots of content. Taylor sat down with The Guardian a couple of weeks ago in Nashville:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...mes-gladiators

If anyone's interested in dream house decor . . .:

Taylor Swift’s Nashville apartment is an Etsy fever dream, a 365-days-a-year Christmas shop, pure teenage girl id. You enter through a vestibule clad in blue velvet and covered in gilt frames bursting with fake flowers. The ceiling is painted like the night sky. Above a koi pond in the living area, a narrow staircase spirals six feet up towards a giant, pillow-lagged birdcage that probably has the best view in the city. Later, Swift will tell me she needs metaphors “to understand anything that happens to me”, and the birdcage defies you not to interpret it as a pointed comment on the contradictions of stardom.

Swift, wearing pale jeans and dip-dyed shirt, her sandy hair tied in a blue scrunchie, leads the way up the staircase to show me the view. The decor hasn’t changed since she bought this place in 2009, when she was 19. “All of these high rises are new since then,” she says, gesturing at the squat glass structures and cranes. Meanwhile her oven is still covered in stickers, more teenage diary than adult appliance.

Now 29, she has spent much of the past three years living quietly in London with her boyfriend, actor Joe Alwyn, making the penthouse a kind of time capsule, a monument to youthful naivety given an unlimited budget – the years when she sang about Romeo and Juliet and wore ballgowns to awards shows; before she moved to New York and honed her slick, self-mythologising pop.

She ain't gonna talk about Joe:

Her new album, Lover, her seventh, was released yesterday. It’s much lighter than Reputation: Swift likens writing it to feeling like “I could take a full deep breath again”. Much of it is about Alwyn: the Galway Girl-ish track London Boy lists their favourite city haunts and her newfound appreciation of watching rugby in the pub with his uni mates; on the ruminative Afterglow, she asks him to forgive her anxious tendency to assume the worst.

While she has always written about relationships, they were either teenage fantasy or a postmortem on a high-profile breakup, with exes such as Jake Gyllenhaal and Harry Styles. But she and Alwyn have seldom been pictured together, and their relationship is the only other thing she won’t talk about. “I’ve learned that if I do, people think it’s up for discussion, and our relationship isn’t up for discussion,” she says, laughing after I attempt a stealthy angle. “If you and I were having a glass of wine right now, we’d be talking about it – but it’s just that it goes out into the world. That’s where the boundary is, and that’s where my life has become manageable. I really want to keep it feeling manageable.”

How does writing about her personal life work if she’s setting clearer boundaries? “It actually made me feel more free,” she says. “I’ve always had this habit of never really going into detail about exactly what situation inspired what thing, but even more so now.” This is only half true: in the past, Swift wasn’t shy of a level of detail that invited fans to figure out specific truths about her relationships. And when I tell her that Lover feels a more emotionally guarded album, she bristles. “I know the difference between making art and living your life like a reality star,” she says. “And then even if it’s hard for other people to grasp, my definition is really clear.”

(That really echoes almost exactly what Joe has said in interviews, so this is well coordinated betwee them.)

STOP @ING ME SWIFT:

As a teenager, Swift was obsessed with VH1’s Behind The Music, the series devoted to the rise and fall of great musicians. She would forensically rewatch episodes, trying to pinpoint the moment a career went wrong. I ask her to imagine she’s watching the episode about herself and do the same thing: where was her misstep? “Oh my God,” she says, drawing a deep breath and letting her lips vibrate as she exhales. “I mean, that’s so depressing!” She thinks back and tries to deflect. “What I remember is that [the show] was always like, ‘Then we started fighting in the tour bus and then the drummer quit and the guitarist was like, “You’re not paying me enough.”’’’

But that’s not what she used to say. In interviews into her early 20s, Swift often observed that an artist fails when they lose their self-awareness, as if repeating the fact would work like an insurance against succumbing to the same fate. But did she make that mistake herself? She squeezes her nose and blows to clear a ringing in her ears before answering. “I definitely think that sometimes you don’t realise how you’re being perceived,” she says. “Pop music can feel like it’s The Hunger Games, and like we’re gladiators. And you can really lose focus of the fact that that’s how it feels because that’s how a lot of stan [fan] Twitter and tabloids and blogs make it seem – the overanalysing of everything makes it feel really intense.”

She describes the way she burned bridges in 2016 as a kind of obliviousness. “I didn’t realise it was like a classic overthrow of someone in power – where you didn’t realise the whispers behind your back, you didn’t realise the chain reaction of events that was going to make everything fall apart at the exact, perfect time for it to fall apart.”

The bit about things falling apart in 'the band' b/c of money might be why Taylor is the only one who pays her tour band a salary all year around every year even when they aren't touring, ha.

I can't excerpt the whole article and I swear that I'm not doing so (it's long!), but I can't stop:

Swift says she stopped trying to explain herself, even though she “definitely” could have. As she worked on Reputation, she was also writing “a think-piece a day that I knew I would never publish: the stuff I would say, and the different facets of the situation that nobody knew”. If she could exonerate herself, why didn’t she? She leans forward. “Here’s why,” she says conspiratorially. “Because when people are in a hate frenzy and they find something to mutually hate together, it bonds them. And anything you say is in an echo chamber of mockery.”

She compares that year to being hit by a tidal wave. “You can either stand there and let the wave crash into you, and you can try as hard as you can to fight something that’s more powerful and bigger than you,” she says. “Or you can dive under the water, hold your breath, wait for it to pass and while you’re down there, try to learn something. Why was I in that part of the ocean? There were clearly signs that said: Rip tide! Undertow! Don’t swim! There are no lifeguards!” She’s on a roll. “Why was I there? Why was I trusting people I trusted? Why was I letting people into my life the way I was letting them in? What was I doing that caused this?”

After the incident with Minaj, her critics started pointing out a narrative of “white victimhood” in Swift’s career. Speaking slowly and carefully, she says she came to understand “a lot about how my privilege allowed me to not have to learn about white privilege. I didn’t know about it as a kid, and that is privilege itself, you know? And that’s something that I’m still trying to educate myself on every day. How can I see where people are coming from, and understand the pain that comes with the history of our world?”

She also accepts some responsibility for her overexposure, and for some of the tabloid drama. If she didn’t wish a friend happy birthday on Instagram, there would be reports about severed friendships, even if they had celebrated together. “Because we didn’t post about it, it didn’t happen – and I realised I had done that,” she says. “I created an expectation that everything in my life that happened, people would see.”

But she also says she couldn’t win. “I’m kinda used to being gaslit by now,” she drawls wearily. “And I think it happens to women so often that, as we get older and see how the world works, we’re able to see through what is gaslighting. So I’m able to look at 1989 and go – KITTIES!” She breaks off as an assistant walks in with Swift’s three beloved cats, stars of her Instagram feed, back from the vet before they fly to England this week. Benjamin, Olivia and Meredith haughtily circle our feet (they are scared of the koi) as Swift resumes her train of thought, back to the release of 1989 and the subsequent fallout. “Oh my God, they were mad at me for smiling a lot and quote-unquote acting fake. And then they were mad at me that I was upset and bitter and kicking back.” The rules kept changing.

Her sex assault case:

“Having dealt with a few of them, narcissists basically subscribe to a belief system that they should be able to do and say whatever the hell they want, whenever the hell they want to,” Swift says now, talking at full pelt. “And if we – as anyone else in the world, but specifically women – react to that, well, we’re not allowed to. We’re not allowed to have a reaction to their actions.”

She has THOUGHTS about politics:

It was the assault trial, and watching the rights of LGBTQ friends be eroded, that finally politicised her, Swift says. “The things that happen to you in your life are what develop your political opinions. I was living in this Obama eight-year paradise of, you go, you cast your vote, the person you vote for wins, everyone’s happy!” she says. “This whole thing, the last three, four years, it completely blindsided a lot of us, me included.”

She recently said she was “dismayed” when a friend pointed out that her position on gay rights wasn’t obvious (what if she had a gay son, he asked), hence this summer’s course correction with the single You Need To Calm Down (“You’re comin’ at my friends like a missile/Why are you mad?/When you could be GLAAD?”).

Didn’t she feel equally dismayed that her politics weren’t clear? “I did,” she insists, “and I hate to admit this, but I felt that I wasn’t educated enough on it. Because I hadn’t actively tried to learn about politics in a way that I felt was necessary for me, making statements that go out to hundreds of millions of people.”

She explains her inner conflict. “I come from country music. The number one thing they absolutely drill into you as a country artist, and you can ask any other country artist this, is ‘Don’t be like the Dixie Chicks!’” In 2003, the Texan country trio denounced the Iraq war, saying they were “ashamed” to share a home state with George W Bush. There was a boycott, and an event where a bulldozer crushed their CDs. “I watched country music snuff that candle out. The most amazing group we had, just because they talked about politics. And they were getting death threats. They were made such an example that basically every country artist that came after that, every label tells you, ‘Just do not get involved, no matter what.’

“And then, you know, if there was a time for me to get involved…” Swift pauses. “The worst part of the timing of what happened in 2016 was I felt completely voiceless. I just felt like, oh God, who would want me? Honestly.” She would otherwise have endorsed Hillary Clinton? “Of course,” she says sincerely. “I just felt completely, ugh, just useless. And maybe even like a hindrance.”

No more Taymerica until Pres. Warren is in office!

Swift was once known for throwing extravagant 4 July parties at her Rhode Island mansion. The Instagram posts from these star-studded events – at which guests wore matching stars-and-stripes bikinis and onesies – probably supported a significant chunk of the celebrity news industry GDP. But in 2017, they stopped. “The horror!” wrote Cosmopolitan, citing “reasons that remain a mystery” for their disappearance. It wasn’t “squad” strife or the unavailability of matching cozzies that brought the parties to an end, but Swift’s disillusionment with her country, she says.

This is the stuff getting her pilloried on twitter right now by the MAGAts:

As an ambitious 11-year-old, she worked out that singing the national anthem at sports games was the quickest way to get in front of a large audience. When did she start feeling conflicted about what America stands for? She gives another emphatic ugh. “It was the fact that all the dirtiest tricks in the book were used and it worked,” she says. “The thing I can’t get over right now is gaslighting the American public into being like” – she adopts a sanctimonious tone – “‘If you hate the president, you hate America.’ We’re a democracy – at least, we’re supposed to be – where you’re allowed to disagree, dissent, debate.” She doesn’t use Trump’s name. “I really think that he thinks this is an autocracy.”

As we speak, Tennessee lawmakers are trying to impose a near-total ban on abortion. Swift has staunchly defended her “Tennessee values” in recent months. What’s her position? “I mean, obviously, I’m pro-choice, and I just can’t believe this is happening,” she says. She looks close to tears. “I can’t believe we’re here. It’s really shocking and awful. And I just wanna do everything I can for 2020. I wanna figure out exactly how I can help, what are the most effective ways to help. ’Cause this is just…” She sighs again. “This is not it.”

Most importantly! The interviewer gives us a Benji growth update:

We also got a sit down in Nashville with CBS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7o6TEZwmes

They went behind the scenes at the Lover video, too. Swifties think this is might be Joe in the background with Andrea:

Totes possible, dunno.

The interview itself had some highlights:

No fucks were given that day.

Her FACE when she talks about destroying a man's $300 million asset!

SHE CANNOT WAIT TO BURN DOWN KOOTER'S WORLD.

Kooter has already run to TMZ:

He also keeps DMing the Swifties who go after him on twitter (I mean seriously he's done this nearly every day for the past couple of weeks -- doesn't he have actual BIZNESS to do?).

Just begging to be mocked, really.

As far as her re-record plans go, she did say this in a radio interview today:

How are there-recorded albums going to sound?

“I have a whole year to figure it out and put it together and I’m really stoked about it, because I love my music. When I was younger my vocal chords were still developing and everything. It’s really sick that I get to go back in and sing that stuff now, so cool.”

YAAAAS. SO EXCITED.

If she keeps up the hype for these new re-recordings, she might be able to actually END Kooter. He had to get investors to help him do this deal, and there's no way they aren't making him sweat now.

Londoners have been giving Taylor and Joe such shit for their bougie taste in London spots:

Doesn't matter what they say now, the first time London Boy is played at Wembley Stadium during the Lover Tour, that place is going to be on FIRE. They'll be able to hear "BUT GOD I LOVE THE ENGLISH" all the way to the Orkney Islands.

The writer/director of Someone Great still seems a bit in shock over Death By A Thousand Cuts (which is a FUCKING GOOD SONG so she should be!):

That's sweet.

Based on only this gif from the enhanced album on spotify:

Swifties were able to identify which house Taylor rented on the British Virgin Islands this past 4th of July:

https://leftussilent.tumblr.com/post...gin-islands-if

. . . I mean, the FBI could NEVAH.

Speaking of a case for the FBI, this morning on radio, Taylor said:

I really don’t know. I probably wouldn’t say even if I did know. I just really want to see this album release through until I really decided what was next, cause sometimes my life can feel sort of like being on a constant treadmill of like, oh, if we want to plan a tour, we have to book it 1.5 years in advance cause of stadiums. It can be very claustrophobic when I just got off of a stadium tour. I’m trying to think of how I want to perform the album live.

Taylor on when the ‘Lover’ tour announcement will be (The Morning Mash Up)

That's got everyone buzzing because normally she KNOWS and can speak to the parameters of a tour by now. It's making folks wonder if she's planning on smaller venues like arenas? or maybe she's got something else going on that makes her reluctant to commit to dates? Maybe an upcoming movie role? Maybe a WEDDING TO PLAN?? MAYBE A BABY????? (probably not a baby).

On to kay nonsense!

One of the worst of the Media kays has been getting draaaaggged for being mean about Joe (she called him a cup of plain oat milk and said she refused to believe he could be anyone's muse, and also called him "a stack of dimples in a trench coat pretending to be a human boy”). Funny! But super mean coming from someone who thinks Taylor has been involved in a six year long charade of lies based on . . . uh . . . nothing except how badly she wants to fetishize two blonde white women.

But really, does she HONESTLY think Karlie is that much more interesting? REALLY. Other than connections to shady billionaires and Russian oligarchs, what does Karlie have that Joe doesn't? SHE DOESN'T EVEN HAVE AN ENGLIGH ACCENT SO . . .

The other kays are dealing with this roll out and album drop in various ways:

I know we're not entitled to Taylor's CO, and I hate feeling upset about any of this because I know that we're not entitled to it. But does she really not understand that the optics of this aren't good? She's made things so ambiguous, she's used LGBT imagery, she's included herself in our community (YNTCD video), and now we're taking so many steps back. At this point, it's hard to support her and this. I want the best for her, but I feel used. We're real people, not blank checks to profit from.

At this point, she 100% deserves to be accused of queerbaiting because to go from that to this? Yikes. My serious question to her would be what the hell was the point of the last 2 years?? Specifically the last 6 months? Sure seems like a lot of build up for absolutely nothing.

The typical butthurtness of people not seeing their made up fantasies realized.

And this is how they are dealing with that 2017 diary page about London:

So basically they are going with Taylor Swift Is A Lying Liar Who Lies as their defense as per usual.

And how they are handling the "haven't kissed a boy' page:

So I saw this photo on twitter and I thought it was interesting….. I do not know the full context behind this photo but I find it funny that she is pointing out how well her life is going…. and then talks about not kissing a boy in 209 days, like that doesn’t line up with “good” or what she was writing about before …. unless u think about it in the fact that she hasn’t had to beard/ publicly kiss a man in a long time, which is something that means her life is going well

Okay, sure that makes sense. She's totally going to include a page from her diary ABOUT BEARDING to be released to millions of people around the world.

This is how far out they are moving the goalposts again:

You know, I’m really not so mad about all the no homo'ing and pronouns anymore. Because if you observe the album, it really seems to allude to 2 people and 2 different relationships - One with a London guy and the other with an NYC lover. This very bold and impossible to miss. Let’s keep in mind for the very loud ‘London Boy’, we have ‘Cornelia Street’ and loud, loud declarations of NYC being the site of their love story. What does that imply? She had 2 diff lovers, one in NYC and the other in London? Did one break up? Given the narrative in the album, some songs (Death by a thousand cuts, afterglow) suggest one broke up. Given the lyrics, it would be strange and dissonant for ALL songs to be about one person. This is interesting esp since Joe has clearly stated that he prefers London to NYC. But even the GP knows how much Kaylor hung out in NYC, they were papped all the time.

So given the album, here’s what I think the CO strategy is -

1) Karlie splits with Jerk at the start of Lover album release period. Articles may indicate that Taylor is being a good friend and helping her deal with 'heartache.’

2) Taylor and Joe actually dated, were in love for many years. But somewhere, in the middle of/end of Lover era, Taylor reveals sadly that they broke up. Very sad thing to happens, but given the turbulent, near break-up songs, she can suggest that it was coming. GP will probably sympathise with her, given that The Man is a very vocal criticism of the double standards she faced in the past.

She may or may not appear heartbroken over this. But given her 1989 era vibe, she could shrug it off with a smile.

3) More articles about Kaylor bonding. They reconnect publicly as friends.

4) End of Lover era and tour - Taylor reveals through a post that she’s bisexual, has only come to this conclusion recently. Thanks her lgbt friends for the support. May touch upon pressures of entertainment industry. Basically, she’s decided to step into the daylight, and give her 'new relationship with Karlie’ a shot. Karlie may do something similar.

5) After the lover era and CO, she takes another hiatus and break from the public eye. Kaylor are out, but remain very private.

Welp, #1 already didn't happen!

I also love the fact that they seem to think Joe is apparently not allowed to leave London and come to NYC ever, even though we've seen him and Taylor in NYC many, many, many times in three years, and it seems pretty obvious their relationship began there and they spend a lot of time there together.

How they are reacting to the line about painting your brother's wall:

Out of curiosity the line in paper rings “to the color we painted your brothers wall” how in anyway could that be related to kaylor when Karlie does not have a brother? Thoughts?

I actually heard that line and kinda was like huh? If we take everything that has lead to us to believe the girls are at most engaged then Taylor could’ve been talking about her brother but now Karlie’s brother. My brother just got married this summer and his wife always calls me “ sister” and vv so I get it.

We LITERALLY have pics of Taylor painting Patrick's wall, with a food wrapper next to her (from a shop near Joe's folk's house in London) AND you can see THAT SAME BLUE WALL in some of Patrick's instagram stories, but okay. It's all about how Austin is now Karlie's brother, uh huh. It's so obvious, how could I have been so blind.

INTAF is the other 'kaylor' song they are clinging to:

Since we're on the topic of "It's Nice to Have a Friend", I wanna throw in my theory on it. I think each verse correlates to each girl she's dated in order. First is for Emily, second is for Dianna, and third is for Karlie. And it's easy for people to take "friend" literally because they have been some of her closest female friends, but paired with the longing tone of the song, it's almost like a play on the gal pals thing as that other anon said. Idk, there's just something about that song.

Why aren’t we discussing the song sequence more? It’s literally False God -> YNTCD -> Afterglow -> ME -> INTHAF -> Daylight. It is all gay. There is no way to rationalize this song order to end Lover.

No way to . . . what? I hope it's fun there in your alternate universe.

Honestly I find it so frustrating she’s bringing him into the era, I’ve listened to the album 20 times and there’s no convincing way it could in anyway be about him but like why bring him into it?

If you listened to it 20 times and know it’s clearly not about him then I don’t know why you’re trippin about it? It’s not like they even remotely interact with one another. It could be a lot worse than it is so just chill.

I want Talyor Swift to walk on Cornelia Street right after the break up with toe just to drive in the point that the song isn’t about him

Y'all have been waiting for this break up for THREE FUCKING YEARS. Step into the daylight and let it go!

Apparently, men don't have a 'shape' they are just an amorphous blob, I suppose.

Another argument the kays are using against London Boy being a non-satirical love letter to Joe is that they say he doesn't have dimples. Um . . .

The kays: bad at math, bad at reading comprehension, and bad at observing anatomical reality.

But hey, good news! Karlie was at Taylor and Jack's release party! based on toe evidence!

Kaylor rises!!!! . . . . except that she was actually in California that night, ooops.

Yep, right when her wife is going through release weekend, Karlie decides to go to Big Sur . . . with her husband.

THIS IS A TRAGEDY HOW DARE THEY SPOIL THE PURITY OF THE KAYLOR HOLY GROUND WITH THEIR DIRTAY LIES.

i really try not to talk about j*sh a whole lot because he deserves zero attention, but it’s just infuriating because he’s to blame for like… a good chunk of the issues Taylor talks about on the album. if he wasn’t around there wouldn’t be nearly as much pressure on them, and honestly i’ll never forgive his nasty ass for that. i posted months ago about how selfish he is and how he’ll suck the life out of Karlie before it’s all said and done and i believe that more than anything still.

When were they last together? Feels like ages and now Karlie is taking pic in Big Sur with bottom are you sure they’re still together? I’m starting to doubt

cannot state how irrelevant j*sh is and how actually it is a mark in our favor that he’s desperately posting pics of karlie where she looks disinterested and he’s tagging them in b*g sur…. like genuinely y’all he’s just grabbing for attention as he fades out of the picture, so just don’t spare him a thought.

the last time we saw karlie and taylor publicly together was during rep tour where she was with her sisters and taylor’s lifelong best friend so!! think about the message they chose to send with that one!

. . . that they only saw each other that one time in three years? Is that the message? Did I answer the question right? Do I win a prize?

Anyway, this album is chockfull of tidbits of autobiography and I have some thoughts on how to revise the Taylor and Joe timeline kicking around my head, so I might post about lyrical analysis and whatnot later this week. I'm thinking that the whole CH/Tom H/Joe/Taylor sitch was waaaaay messier during summer of '16 than we originally speculated.

Last edited by ophy; 08-26-2019, 01:31 PM.

Comment

• Wonderful update, O!

I'm thinking that the whole CH/Tom H/Joe/Taylor sitch was waaaaay messier during summer of '16 than we originally speculated.
                    Gorgeous always made me think that something was going on even when she was with CH. I will be interested in your math, because it feels like there was a thing brewing even before she dumped CH and ran around the world doing Hiddleswift.

Comment

• because it feels like there was a thing brewing even before she dumped CH and ran around the world doing Hiddleswift.

VERY POSSIBLE.

Anyway, quick note to kaylorfails - I sent you an ask on anon! I'd rather not have this site linked anywhere or given any shout outs on tumblr or twitter, but thank you for asking!

Comment

• My husband is obsessed with Paper Rings, walks around singing it constantly, sang it to me for the duration of our just-ended vacation! LOL.

Taylor sang a deep cut on a morning show or something -- is this to further the idea she's doing mega-remixes of earlier albums with bonus content, etc?
                        It’s just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• I am loving Paper Rings on repeated listening too! The only one I really don’t like is the one with the kids. The rest of them are growing on me.

Comment

• Our family has been consumed by baseball playoffs so I just watched Taylor's SNL performances today. If this is setting up how the tour is supposed to feel, it's way different than the last 2. I preferred the way she did Lover over how she performed False God, but it's because watching Taylor dance without any backup dancers to distract me will always make me cringe. She's... it's not what she's good at. And that's ok. And even though she sat at the piano for Lover, I kinda felt like False God would have been better as a sitting song too. I did like her Lasik vid on Fallon. The world needs more DrunkTaylor and PostAnesthesiaTaylor.

I know she's wanting to try a more festival style tour which would mean smaller venues/audiences. I hope she still comes to Texas. I mean, I def want to go see her, but I feel like this time I'm gonna have to make a big deal out of it by recruiting friends for a girls' trip in Nashville or something. Hopefully, she'll at least come to Dallas so I won't have to make as much of an effort.

Comment

• I don't care for False God, so yeah, that performance didn't change my mind. I LOVED the piano only version of Lover. Perfect.

Comment

Working...
                              X