No announcement yet.

The Study of Swiftology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's gonna be a real moment of grief when Baby Kush doesn't get the embroidered blanket from Aunt Tay that Katy Perry's and Gigi's babies got.

Comment

• https://prettyswift.tumblr.com/post/633352017805524992/nineteeneightyninetour-karlies-kid-in-preschool

Let's get some Taylor administrative stuff out of the way . . .

Taylor donated Only The Young for the new Dem ad:

https://youtu.be/1VO2_KG6g-Q

That one had me bawling this morning. RBG! baby girls at protests! Joe hugging people!

And Taylor is at 13% of people influenced by her for voting:

“The change we need most is to elect a president who recognizes that people of color deserve to feel safe and represented, that women deserve the right to choose what happens to their bodies, and that the LGBTQIA+ community deserves to be acknowledged and included. Everyone deserves a government that takes global health risks seriously and puts the lives of its people first. The only way we can begin to make things better is to choose leaders who are willing to face these issues and find ways to work through them.

“I will proudly vote for Joe Biden and Kamala Harris in this year’s presidential election. Under their leadership, I believe America has a chance to start the healing process it so desperately needs.”

(Joe liked her post pretty quickly again.)

(pic was taken in her mom's kitchen in Nashville earlier this month.)

(h/t leftussilent)

From Biden's social media director:

Also!

Making it real hard for the Grammys to snub folklore this year, although I'm sure they will try their best.

We did get some Taylor vids for a couple of awards shows:

lover thank you vid:

https://youtu.be/0kjNssu1TPk?t=62

“Hey guys, it's Taylor. I just wanted to say Thank you so much for including me on the 'Songs I Wish I'd Written' list. It's very cool to be on it with the song Lover. This song is really special to me because, you know, I wrote this song alone when I couldn't sleep one night in my Nashville apartment and I just wandered over to the piano, I had this melody that was just kind of keeping me awake, I couldn't really get past it, and it ended up being the chorus melody for Lover. And with the lyric I really just wanted, I really wanted the bridge to sound like when people write their own vows and they kind of change certain traditional parts of the vows to fit them or their relationship or their life or something. I think my favorite line is 'ladies and gentlemen will you please stand/with every guitar string scar on my hand/I take this magnetic force of a man to be my lover' which obviously I have a lot of guitar string scars on my hand from tuning and changing strings on my hands over the years, but there's also the symbolic part of it which is like, I've written a lot of breakup songs and songs about letdowns and bad times and stuff, so you kind of hope that if someone's going to choose you, they're going to choose you along with all the things that have hurt you in the past and all the damage and if you're going to choose someone, you're going to do the same for them.

And then the rest of the song, I just wanted to paint a picture of two people who were learning to live together for the first time, realizing you can make your own traditions, you can stay up as late as you want, you can keep the Christmas lights up as late as you want, you can let your friends stay over if the night goes too long, because this is your life and your family that you're choosing and that's kind of a really beautiful thing that happens when two people decide to spend their time together. And so it's sort of a celebration of taking that very adult step of living with someone and deciding that this is the path forward for you, walking alongside somebody else. So thank you for picking that song, it's really special to me, and I really really appreciate it, and I hope you guys are doing great!”
      (h/t cagesboxesfoxes)

Based on jet movements, it looks like she's been in London for the past couple of weeks. Not much from her to work with, but we did get this:

. . . and those floorboards match the pics we've seen of their latest London place.

And even though the CMT vid gave us no background to parse, Taylor was pretty obvs dressed for London weather (in the 50s) and not Nashville weather (where it was over 80 degrees at the time).

Speaking of London places, This was their first rental in London in Hampstead in 2016:

https://leftussilent.tumblr.com/post...-london-rental
      https://leftussilent.tumblr.com/post...ing-about-this

A tour!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvLH...enhamandReeves

Not anywhere near as big of a house as you might have expected, but this would have been where much of reputation was probably written, and definitely where they threw that NYE party with Joe's friends (including the pool they all jumped into that night, mentioned in Paper Rings).

And speaking of houses, SCANDALE! Celebs sometimes leave dirty dishes out just Like Us!

(Cara D. actually lived in Taylor's Cornelia St rental place for awhile after Taylor went off to hide in London with Joe. Cara was going through a break up with St.Vincent, if I remember correctly, and even talked about Taylor letting her borrow the rental for a bit.)

This is the part that hurts, ouch.

This must be the (tiny) window into the kitchen in question:

Other house news! after suing her and passing specific tax laws to target her and whining about the improvements she made to the property (like repairing the crumbling sea wall- they fought her on that, but then had to admit she made it much better), it's takes some nerve for Rhode Island to be invoking Taylor's name to promote tourism:

But yes, somebody is/was in residence earlier this month:

It looks like she hung out with fam up there before heading back to London, which makes sense.

Before we get to BABYGATE!! wanted to note that Karlie's (not?) bunny robot has been sort of explained (?):

View this post on Instagram

Does this answer your questions?

A post shared by Karlie Kloss (@karliekloss) on

That's not as exciting as a billionaire robot army to counter the revolution, but okay.

Also, October had already been disappointing for the kays, who had been promised a divorce announcement this month, but NOPE. Unless this is how JKush announces a divorce and the ending of a KONtrakt? With a pic on their anniversary from BIG SUR?

And Karlie posted a vid of them dancing at their wedding (the staging for this fake wedding/photoshoot for Brazilian Vogue just keeps getting more and more elaborate!) with this caption: karliekloss: I fall more in love with you every day ️ Happy 2nd anniversary @joshuakushner

You can IMAGINE how kayfolx reacted!

We are gonna know where we're headed in just 2 days. If we see any post/like/story even from one of them about their anniversary, we will have to assume that a divorce realistically isn't in sight. Also note that the day after that (on the 19th!) she's joining an event for the democrat gubernatorial candidate of MO. Don't know whether this is a good sign or just a random but convenient (for potential damage control) date...

ikeepyouwarm said:

Even if there is a post, they can still split a week after. I know plenty couples seeming extra sweet, wearing matching outfits and acting all happy right before they announce a break up. Just saying

Maybe it was always Karlie’s intention to stay “married” to Jerk for this election and use her status as his ‘wife’ to promote the democrats? She wouldn’t have as much impact campaigning for Democrats if she wasn’t affiliated with the Kushners. Her connection to the Kushners gives her a wider base to include Trump voters and maybe persuade a few people to vote democrat instead.

SURE WHY NOT.

So! Karlie's fans have been noting how often she's been hiding her midsection in pics lately:

So pregnancy rumors have been flying for at least a month or so.

karlie in the future: you’re grounded, you can’t go anywhere for the next week

karlie’s kid: NoT EvEn DiNnEr wiTh ThE KuShnEr’s?!

I did not need to wait any time at all before the HOT TAEKS started flying. No need to let it marinate, I suppose!

First! Let's check in with how twitter is handling things . . . :

. . . not great apparently!

Ok just because somebody is pregnant doesn't mean they had sex. Or Joshlie is bisexual or the Kushners are assholes but either way it does not negate her past or the fact that Kaylor was real.
      Thinking of how Dianna and Karlie headed in different directions

— allmyelegiesdemoniseme (@folkloverrrep) October 30, 2020

This sums it up best:

As for the kween and her kaydom, keep in mind she very recently said this:

OKAY, now on to the kween and her kourt's reactions:

I really really thought we’d avoid this

ttb: Me too. But, either it is the last bomb before the split or she is in it for the long run. If it is the latter we can stop talking about her. If it is the former, he is out soon. I think he is out very soon.

Her own magazine post it so it's a 100%true

ttb: Do you honestly think she is carrying a Kushner child? Honestly? She is not stupid.

Why are we laughing at the fact that it's an obvious pr rollout? We already know this. Regardless, a child will be born in a few months, no matter who the parents are, and a whole pregnancy and human will be used as props.

ttb: Who said there is a child? Why don’t you wait and see. Karlie has not confirmed anything. I suspect you also think Joe and Sophie had a child because they did lots of pap walks ‘looking’ pregnant. Not everything is as celebrities show. Do you believe Karlie is married to him? If not, why do you immediately believe this PR rollout on the eve of the election?

WHO SAID THERE IS A CHILD.

i mean, coming from the 1d/larrie fandom i guess i'm not too shocked. another babygate

ttb: Except this one involves a criminal.

ok but if she's not actually pregnant, how is she gonna spin this one? like... people and w mag is pretty legit, imo. it's not like hollywood life or some random as media outlet like the ones who write about taylor and joe

ttb: I have no idea. I think everyone needs to take a deep breath and see how this plays out over the next week. There is no denying this was purposely timed, and that it was an orchestrated PR release.

Kurt Kloss liked a tweet congratulating Karlie

taytaysbeard answered:
      He is one of the biggest players in all of this. He always has been. Don’t buy the b.s. he is selling. He posted about the fake engagement, too. He was all over his facebook with cringeworthy posts about the fake wedding. I expect nohing less from him. The Kloss family has all been knee deep in this crap.

Just thinking out loud here... Possible timeline:

Source says Karlie is pregnant
      Taylor/Joe break up
      Karlie debunks pregnancy rumors

Could this be what’s happening?

(BUT WHY.)

I mean, I’m still in shock. But my mind races to “Peace”...

“Give you my wild, give you a child...”

The song theorized to be from from Karlie’s perspective?

Anonymous said:

give you my wild, give you a child - ts

ttb: I truly hope Taylor would not bring a child into this world under the public perception that he is a Kushner. She could use Toe for that. He would surely take the payday.

It's all about the election!

an anon:

Firstly I truly believe that this is a stunt and Karlie is NOT pregnant, I saw a number of posts speculating that she might do the miscarriage scenario (I just don’t see that) if it later came out that this was all a stunt she would be done and not just on SM.

Also this doesn’t help trump get votes but does distract the media from writing about the Kushner family troubles, there has been a fair amount of negative press on the family. This pregnancy BS changes the negative coverage too a positive one.

The last thing I will say is that is all speculation right now anyway as non of this has been confirmed by either camp, but let’s do some speculation of our own. Let’s speculate that this gets attributed to jerkle and then Karlie calls bullshit on the story and uses that to bail on the relationship.

It would certainly be the distraction the kushner’s need to get them past the election and it provides Karlie with an out from the family right before criminal charges start getting filed. For all we know something like this scenario could have been written into the contract.

We just need to calm down and let the story develop, who knows where it will end up. Maybe if the fates align that invisible string tying the girls together will become visible.

Anyone else thinking that Karlie & Taylor are the ones actually having this baby together?

ttb: I don’t for the reason that I don’t think Taylor would tie herself publicly for the long term perception that a Kushner is the father of said child.

I honestly do not think she is pregnant at all. Let’s see how the next week plays out. They posted it at the end of the week, right before the election, for a reason.

I think it all sets up for a wonderful reunion for Kaylor, provided Trump loses. I'm not out yet.

PR babies happen in Hollywood. What about it.

God Mommy Tay from a distance-cause she won't be seen with jerk.

I pray Karlie bugged the Kush estates when she paid a visit, or was wired with FBI equipment. The paps were actually agents who took the photos as a cover to get intelligence to bring down Trump/Kush.

I am spiraling... I want them arrested so bad!

I mean, none of the pundits and pollsters had KARLIE KLOSS' BABY on their October Surprise 2020 Bingo Card. THIS COULD CHANGE EVERYTHING ( nothing).

And all of this is so unfair to poor faithful Taylor!

Nooooo!! Say it isn’t soooo!! Whether it’s real or fake, T does not deserve this. This isn’t fair. Proposal, marriage, pregnancy, and babies are such magical events in ones life and I can’t believe all 3 of those are gone from T&K’s love story, and to be used for PR. I. Dont. Get. It! PR is so strange and unfair for me to understand.

ttb: I feel for Taylor a lot. She will not even walk with a beard on the red carpet, and Karlie goes this far. I really thought her ‘marriage’ was a terrible publicity stunt, and the culmination of bad decision-making earlier in her career.

UNLESS!!!! This is ALL ABOUT Taylor's masters!

i was thinking. we know that scooter had a finger in those fake wedding photos leak as a way to keep karlie stuck with josh and blackmail taylor who wanted to come out etc. we also know that taylor can re-record her albums in november. so what if scooter has something to do with this false pregnancy rumour? another way to try to hit taylor and karlie, since he no longer has control over them and he is/was josh's manager. tbh i wouldn't be surprised. what do you guys think?

ttb: I think the masters could be part of this negotiating ploy. Karlie you do this, and I will sell Taylor her masters. But, I don’t think Karlie was sabotaged with this story. She played into the narrative the last couple of weeks. So did Kimby. They baited pregnancy rumors.
      hello! this is such an interesting situation and I was reading through your posts and you mentioned karlie getting out of the contract and Taylor getting her masters so i was interested in seeing how you think that would work? Do you think it would be like a trade off so everyone can get out of this mess and leave each other alone? Thank you!!

ttb: That is just speculation based on the timing. Could Scooter and Jerk have proposed to Karlie and Taylor a scenario where … if Karlie agrees to this pregnancy stunt, I will sell Taylor her masters? Because she can start re-recording in November the timing is . So yes a trade off of sorts. Karlie’s contract was up in August. So why are we still dealing with this b.s., and why would Karlie stoop so low to fake a pregnancy (or at least have her PR team fake one)? Taylor’s masters is one thing that is very important to her/them.

I don’t think this will be a drawn out thing. I think it will play out quickly. But, I am just speculating.

It's okay regardless because it's the END:

So bottomline, the kween does NOT think there is a baby at all, period, end of story, ain't happening.

As an addendum, this of course, is the worst take of them all (tw: pregnancy loss):

Hey TTB, what do you think of this mess possibly being used a "Broke the camels back" scenario, as in, they spin a story about how actually one of them has "fertility issues" and that it negatively affected their 'marriage' to the point where they got 'legally' sperated, and this 'disrespectful' article in which the journalist didn't even bother to contact them both before running it is "the last straw" that made them decide that filling for a no fault divorce on November 18th is the right choice for them?

ttb: It could play out like that. I also think that the miscarriage scenario is in play for this reason …

Jerk is trying really hard to sell this phony marriage to his family and community and colleagues. His immediate family knows the drill, but others do not. Hence why Karlie had to go to Kushner family events on the down low. So a miscarriage storyline, and the relationship complications that they say resulted from it, give him an easy out … people will refrain from asking questions as it is too personal. I don’t like it, but I can see it happening. Your theory is plausible too.

But SOMEHOW not a bridge too far for you to speculate about?

Enough with the kween, y'all remember Jill G.,that journo kay?:

Oh, BUT she's totes kidding y'all.

(the sheer amount (SO MUCH so so so much) she has written about kaylor in the past suggests otherwise, but okay! Just jokes, yo.)

I mean, THIS:

And some others are also now pulling the Jill G. trick of handwaving away their hardkore kaylorism as a 'joke':

. . . and of course, here come the angry flouncers, which we see every time reality conks them in the noggin:

Hi TTB, First of all thank you SO much for everything you do. I’ve been a silent lurker for almost 3 years now which feels crazy. This latest stunt has really put me over the edge. I’ve completely lost faith in Karlie and honestly it is making me feel like all of Hollywood is so dirty behind the scenes. I’ll see how the next few weeks play out but if Karlie embraces the narrative she’s pregnant with a Kushner I’m SO done. like you said I just hope Taylor isn’t complicit in this as well.
      This last stunt was my cue to stop supporting both of them as a Kaylor. Yes kaylor is real, yes i believe they r together. So? We r always the butt of the joke for the whole fandom that only keep us around by baiting us both for when they need the gay rumours floating around that suits their narrative regarding a future come out. Meanwhile, we get humiliated every time we talk about them and the moment we "win" smtg they blast us with "stunting galore". No ty. Wish them the best but im so done!

Good things to come, though, because in the midst of ALL THIS, the kween KONVENIENTLY gets a new source (because of course she does):

Anything to keep the suckers on a string!

Last edited by ophy; 10-30-2020, 10:50 AM.

Comment

• That anybody even brought up the notion that Karlie could fake a miscarriage is beyond my comprehension. The Kween said it would be a bridge too far, which means in two weeks she'll be suggesting it as a way out.

Kamala asking for the cookie recipe is probably my favorite thing to happen in the 2020 election.

Comment

• Whenever I read kaylor fans' posts I want to bang my head into a wall.
          sigpic

Comment

• I don't know how any of these people are still actually fans of Karlie OR Taylor at this point. It doesn't even seem possible that TTB still believes in the Kaylor narrative, she just likes attention.

Comment

• Oh, totally. TTB doesn't believe ANY of this bullshit anymore. She just likes being Kween!
              It’s just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• Gasp! Taylor made an interview with RS (and Paul McCartney) and refers to the person she's dating as a him!
                sigpic

Comment

• So apparently Scoots recently sold Taylor's masters to an "investment fund" for more than what he paid. Why would a group buy them if everyone knows Taylor can rerecord now? There's got to be more to this and I'mma just sit here and wait until ophy's life opens up enough for her to do a deep dive on these shenanigans.

Comment

• I am no Ophy, but here is her statement for your viewing pleasure.

Comment

• Interesting! I wonder if Scoots conned Shamrock into thinking that Taylor would do business with them because she wanted her masters back no matter what. Or if he thought he could use them as a front to trick her into making him more money?

Comment

• It has to be the latter, doesn’t it? Wouldn’t even a cursory due diligence turn up that the most famous musician in the world would burn them up for even attempting this? I am just dumbfounded at the idiocy that goes into this much money changing hands when she was never going to be fooled, was never going to give in to Scooter, and of course was not bluffing about re-recording all six albums.

Comment

• So I do have other stuff (including from the Paul McCartney interview) that I will clean up and post today (?probably?) but YES . . . the Big News is that Koots sold Taylor's masters! . . .

. . . but not to Taylor, that bastard.

Taylor is seriously OVER dudes telling her to shut up.

People Have Thoughts:

This is me:

errrybuddy asking this:

So! Shamrock is owned by Roy Disney's family:

. . . and they paid $300 mill for her masters . . . even though they knew she might refuse to work with them and might still re-record? Y'all got ripped off, corporate dudes.

I wonder if Scoots conned Shamrock into thinking that Taylor would do business with them because she wanted her masters back no matter what. Or if he thought he could use them as a front to trick her into making him more money?

It's a very good question! The general consensus seems to be that Shamrock had to have been duped somehow, I mean, maybe Koots konvinced them that Taylor's only real issue was the APPEARANCE of being in biz with him, and that once his name was officially 'off' (just buried deep in the fine print) she'd be cool with whatevs that Shamrock wanted. If so, ooops! He obvs did not want them communicating with her beforehand for a very good reason, because she would have set them hella straight on that. Nobody should underestimate the depth of Taylor's loathing for Koots or her just how deep her lawyers will go into the fine print, I mean . . .

I guess they could reach out to her right the fuck now and try to sell them to her before she devalues them in a couple of months, but! if Koots has got them tangled up in there so he still gets a cut that might not be very straightforward.

Some swifties think we could get the first re-recordings as soon as January, but nobody can agree on what order she's going to do them in. I guess they could just be done straightforwardly and in chronological order, but! If she wants to strike at the pocketbooks of the investors first, I'd think she'd either do a compilation of all the singles first, or at least do all of 1989 first. That's the most licensable (other than Rep, which she still can't re-record yet).

But YES, I'm excited that she's re-recording because we will get GOODIES and SURPRISES and maybe? maybe? a documentary of the process for Netflix if we are lucky?

Last edited by ophy; 03-11-2021, 09:50 AM.

Comment

• All of this is super interesting! You would think that a company with a reputation for hostile takeovers would not be easily duped nor would they be comfortable with agreeing on a huge sale with a weird stipulation like "You can't talk to the person whose work you're buying until after you buy it." Like why would they agree to that unless there's some other benefit for them we don't know about yet? And why is Scooter the one dictating everything when he would be the sucker left holding devalued goods if none of these people agreed to his unreasonable terms? AND he was still gonna profit if Taylor and her team had not read the fine print?! None of this makes Shamrock seem very good at businessing.

Comment

• You would think that a company with a reputation for hostile takeovers would not be easily duped nor would they be comfortable with agreeing on a huge sale with a weird stipulation like "You can't talk to the person whose work you're buying until after you buy it." Like why would they agree to that unless there's some other benefit for them we don't know about yet?

Agreed! I find the whole thing very confuzzeling for sure. Almost like trickery is afoot, like Koots coerced them into with something else as leverage or some kind of behind the scenes chicanery or! nobody could really believe that Taylor would spend the $$$$ it's going to cost to re-record when she could just sit back and let cash roll in from the existing ones. Maybe biz peeps just don't get the depths of her feelings over this, dunno.

First post-election round-up post!

Oh hai, Cruel Summer at a Biden Harris street dance party:

I'll bet Taylor is THRILLED she no longer has to be so embarrassed at being American in front of all of Joe's cool British friends anymore.

MAYBE TAYLOR CAN DO TAYMERICA AGAIN YAAAAS. Crossing my fingers for 7/4/2021!

The Rolling Stone interview between Taylor and Paul McCartney was very sweet! They are basically the same person, weirdly enough.

The rumors were of a song collab (which is still possible), which Paul kicked off thusly:

It almost feels like he let Taylor log into his account for those 13 dice.

There was also this deuxmoi blind about a collab:

(would be funny if that's how they refer to Sir Paul McCartney.)

Anyway, Paul's daughter did Taylor's clothes and Paul's other daughter did the photos.

link to interview: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...cians-1089058/

Some excerpts:

Swift listened to McCartney III as she prepared for today’s conversation; McCartney delved into Folkore. Before the photo shoot, Swift caught up with his daughters Mary (who would be photographing them) and Stella (who designed Swift’s clothes; the two are close friends).

“I’ve met Paul a few times, mostly onstage at parties, but we’ll get to that later,” Swift writes. “Soon he walks in with his wife, Nancy. They’re a sunny and playful pair, and I immediately feel like this will be a good day. During the shoot, Paul dances and takes almost none of it too seriously and sings along to Motown songs playing from the speakers. A few times Mary scolds, ‘Daaad, try to stand still!’ And it feels like a window into a pretty awesome family dynamic. We walk into his office for a chat, and after I make a nervous request, Paul is kind enough to handwrite my favorite lyric of his and sign it. He makes a joke about me selling it, and I laugh because it’s something I know I’ll cherish for the rest of my life. That’s around the time when we start talking about music.”

“McCartney: What about yours? You’re playing guitar and piano on yours.

Swift: Yeah, on some of it, but a lot of it was made with Aaron Dessner, who’s in a band called the National that I really love. And I had met him at a concert a year before, and I had a conversation with him, asking him how he writes. It’s my favorite thing to ask people who I’m a fan of. And he had an interesting answer. He said, “All the band members live in different parts of the world. So I make tracks. And I send them to our lead singer, Matt, and he writes the top line.” I just remember thinking, “That is really efficient.” And I kind of stored it in my brain as a future idea for a project. You know, how you have these ideas… “Maybe one day I’ll do this.” I always had in my head: “Maybe one day I’ll work with Aaron Dessner.”

So when lockdown happened, I was in L.A., and we kind of got stuck there. It’s not a terrible place to be stuck. We were there for four months maybe, and during that time, I sent an email to Aaron Dessner and I said, “Do you think you would want to work during this time? Because my brain is all scrambled, and I need to make something, even if we’re just kind of making songs that we don’t know what will happen…and it turned out he had been writing instrumental tracks to keep from absolutely going crazy during the pandemic as well, so he sends me this file of probably 30 instrumentals, and the first one I opened ended up being a song called ‘Cardigan,’ and it really happened rapid-fire like that. He’d send me a track; he’d make new tracks, add to the folder; I would write the entire top line for a song, and he wouldn’t know what the song would be about, what it was going to be called, where I was going to put the chorus. I had originally thought, “Maybe I’ll make an album in the next year, and put it out in January or something,” but it ended up being done and we put it out in July. And I just thought there are no rules anymore, because I used to put all these parameters on myself, like, “How will this song sound in a stadium? How will this song sound on radio?” If you take away all the parameters, what do you make? And I guess the answer is Folklore.

About Nils Sjoberg:

Swift: Yeah, I think, when a pseudonym comes in is when you still have a love for making the work and you don’t want the work to become overshadowed by this thing that’s been built around you, based on what people know about you. And that’s when it’s really fun to create fake names and write under them.

McCartney: Do you ever do that?

Swift: Oh, yeah.

McCartney: Oh, yeah? Oh, well, we didn’t know that! Is that a widely known fact?

Swift: I think it is now, but it wasn’t. I wrote under the name Nils Sjöberg because those are two of the most popular names of Swedish males. I wrote this song called “This Is What You Came For” that Rihanna ended up singing. And nobody knew for a while. I remembered always hearing that when Prince wrote “Manic Monday,” they didn’t reveal it for a couple of months.

. . . ya gotta love how she just excluded Cleetus Hoover right out of the TIWYCF narrative.

kids, family, partners:

Swift: Because when I was making Folklore, I went lyrically in a total direction of escapism and romanticism. And I wrote songs imagining I was, like, a pioneer woman in a forbidden love affair [laughs]. I was completely …

McCartney: Was this “I want to give you a child”? Is that one of the lines?

Swift: Oh, that’s a song called “Peace.”

McCartney: “Peace,” I like that one.

Swift: “Peace” is actually more rooted in my personal life. I know you have done a really excellent job of this in your personal life: carving out a human life within a public life, and how scary that can be when you do fall in love and you meet someone, especially if you’ve met someone who has a very grounded, normal way of living. I, oftentimes, in my anxieties, can control how I am as a person and how normal I act and rationalize things, but I cannot control if there are 20 photographers outside in the bushes and what they do and if they follow our car and if they interrupt our lives. I can’t control if there’s going to be a fake weird headline about us in the news tomorrow.

McCartney: So how does that go? Does your partner sympathize with that and understand?

Swift: Oh, absolutely.

McCartney: They have to, don’t they?

Swift: But I think that in knowing him and being in the relationship I am in now, I have definitely made decisions that have made my life feel more like a real life and less like just a storyline to be commented on in tabloids. Whether that’s deciding where to live, who to hang out with, when to not take a picture — the idea of privacy feels so strange to try to explain, but it’s really just trying to find bits of normalcy. That’s what that song “Peace” is talking about. Like, would it be enough if I could never fully achieve the normalcy that we both crave? Stella always tells me that she had as normal a childhood as she could ever hope for under the circumstances.

McCartney: Yeah, it was very important to us to try and keep their feet on the ground amongst the craziness.

Swift: Did that give you a lot of anxiety when you had kids, when you felt like all this pressure that’s been put on me is spilling over onto them, that they didn’t sign up for it? Was that hard for you?

McCartney: Yeah, a little bit, but it wasn’t like it is now. You know, we were just living a kind of semi-hippie life, where we withdrew from a lot of stuff. The kids would be doing all the ordinary things, and their school friends would be coming up to the house and having parties, and it was just great. I remember one lovely evening when it was Stella’s birthday, and she brought a bunch of school kids up. And, you know, they’d all ignore me. It happens very quickly. At first they’re like, “Oh, yeah, he’s like a famous guy,” and then it’s like [yawns]. I like that.

McCartney: Yeah, ’cause you were writing breakup songs like they were going out of style.

Swift: I was, before my luck changed [laughs]. I still write breakup songs. I love a good breakup song. Because somewhere in the world, I always have a friend going through a breakup, and that will make me write one.

Pandemic magic!

Swift: That is magical. I definitely relate to needing to find magical things in this very not-magical time, needing to read more books and learn to sew, and watch movies that take place hundreds of years ago. In a time where, if you look at the news, you just want to have a panic attack — I really relate to the idea that you are thinking about stars and constellations.

McCartney: Did you do that on Folklore?

Swift: Yes. I was reading so much more than I ever did, and watching so many more films.

McCartney: What stuff were you reading?

Swift: I was reading, you know, books like Rebecca, by Daphne du Maurier, which I highly recommend, and books that dealt with times past, a world that doesn’t exist anymore. I was also using words I always wanted to use — kind of bigger, flowerier, prettier words, like “epiphany,” in songs. I always thought, “Well, that’ll never track on pop radio,” but when I was making this record, I thought, “What tracks? Nothing makes sense anymore. If there’s chaos everywhere, why don’t I just use the damn word I want to use in the song?”

McCartney: Exactly. So you’d see the word in a book and think, “I love that word”?

Swift: Yeah, I have favorite words, like “elegies” and “epiphany” and “divorcée,” and just words that I think sound beautiful, and I have lists and lists of them.

McCartney: How about “marzipan”?

Swift: Love “marzipan.”

MARZIPAN.

Swift: Well, there’s been a bit of a baby boom recently; several of my friends have gotten pregnant.

McCartney: Oh, yeah, you’re at the age.

Swift: And I was just thinking, “I really want to spend time with my hands, making something for their children.” So I made this really cool flying-squirrel stuffed animal that I sent to one of my friends. I sent a teddy bear to another one, and I started making these little silk baby blankets with embroidery. It’s gotten pretty fancy. And I’ve been painting a lot.

McCartney: What do you paint? Watercolors?

Swift: Acrylic or oil. Whenever I do watercolor, all I paint is flowers. When I have oil, I really like to do landscapes. I always kind of return to painting a lonely little cottage on a hill.

London teddy bear for Claire's bb:

Anyway, the whole thing was good and cozy and they are both lovely and you should read it. I feel like a collab between them would be too pure for this world, though.

OH HEY TAYLOR IS (PROBABLY NOT) PREGNANT.

Pregnancy rumors have been rampant in the past week.

The evidence!

1) The past few times she was seen before the Rolling Stone interview were from vids like this one:

(from the Pride of Britain awards) where she's filmed herself chest up in baggy-ish clothes.

2) she seems to not be coloring her hair lately. But . . . neither am I, and I'm certainly not preggers. #pandemic

3) No appearances anywhere. She didn't perform at the CMAs or do anything for the People's Choice Awards (where Only the Young won something) and she canceled a livestream she was supposed to do for her merch store in China (and Taylor never cancels anything).

4) Timing! She said in folklore she wanted to give Joe a child AND this is kinda the perfect time to do it . . . all of her friends are having behbies, she's not going to be touring for a year or so, she's stuck at home anyway, and sadness alert! it might be something she wants to do sooner rather than later because of her mom being sick.

but the number one reason of all was this Capitol One commercial:

https://youtu.be/lf61VOwW-Ck

So the things to note about this very quick ad, there are definitely easter eggs* in it (mostly folklore related, looks like) and there's this one shot that made eyebrows raise:

The belly cupping and the wink! I mean . . . maybe? (nahhh).

That was the one and only thing about all the spec made me also hmmmm, but I'm not sold, really. Some are, though.

Don’t you find it suspicious that we’ve been seeing only Taylor’s face for months through pre-recorded videos and the only time we see her standing up we only see her back but then she turns around and cover her belly with a cardigan... every angle of that commercial are suspicious to me anyways...

I have no strong opinions about this but I will say that it would be WONDROUS if Taylor and Karlie had simultaneous bbgates, just sayin'.

* as for the easter egg stuff, here are links to explain it.

https://people.com/music/taylor-swift-fans-find-many-folklore-easter-eggs-in-her-new-capital-one-commercial/

Buzzfeed found 16: https://www.buzzfeed.com/laurengaraf...capital-one-ad

Nothing earth shattering, though.

kays have their own theories, obvs.

Yes, instead of a closet, she should have just piled the cardigans on the floor or something, I dunno. Y'all kracked it!

So! The fact that Taylor started her re-recordings did not come as a huge surprise to the jet trackers, because they knew something was up!

10/30 Nash - LA - Rhode Island
                              10/31 Rhode Island - London
                              11/1 London - Rhode Island - Nashville
                              11/2 Nash - Austin TX - RI - Nash
                              11/4 Nash - Oxford, Connecticut - Hudson, NY - Nash - Austin, TX - LA - Nash
                              11/5 Nash - Hudson - LA - Nash
                              11/10 Nash - LA - Austin - Nash
                              11/12 Nash - LA - Nash
                              11/13 Nash - London
                              11/14 London - Nash

On 11/4 alone, her jet traveled over 9k miles in one day.

On 10/31, there were cars arriving to her RI house from NYC:

So much spec swirling around this! But yeah, many peeps thought this was probably related to re-recording. During a pandemic, Taylor's not likely to want musicians/producers/etc flying commercial and then coming into studios with her, so the thought is that maybe she has been sending her own jet to pick folks up and take them back.

And if people are just curious about London trips because of shipper reasons:

3/11 from London (when they went into lockdown together in LA)
                              8/19 to London
                              8/20 from London
                              8/26 to London
                              8/30 from London
                              9/13 to London
                              9/14 from London
                              9/27 to London
                              9/28 from London
                              10/11 to London
                              10/12 From London
                              10/31 to London
                              11/1 from London
                              11/13 to London

So for several months they appeared to have been based in the US only, but not since August. Makes me think the visa peeps were right, and Joe is staying in the UK while Taylor goes back and forth every couple of weeks.

This has all been on her newest jet (the one she bought a couple of years ago). Her older jet, which was mostly used by family, has been sitting in a hangar in St.Louis for months. It normally goes there for maintenance, but! it has most likely reached the natural end of its life cycle, according to the jet people. Apparently that kind of jet usually only flies well for 30 yrs, I guess? Taylor had bought it used anyway. Sad! Maybe this means she'll buying something newer and spiff-ier.

In other possible big spendy news, an anon claimed this on tumblr:

Taylor bought a place at Silo Ridge Field Club in Upstate New York. The development is owned by the Discovery Land Company. They own Yellowstone Club in Montana, Bakers Bay in Bahamas etc, all of which have many A-list residents, Bieber, Gisele, Timberlake, MIchael jordan etc..

If true, that would make her near-ish to Aaron Dessner and Blake/Ryan and also explain the Hudson NY flights. But nobody has found anything to corroborate it yet.

And a random tiny bit of goss:

Big drinkers in a fun way!

Not a surprise!

As an aside about Koots, he's already dealing with dramz (with a Real Housewife!) this week.

(Erika just announced her split from her husband like, a week ago). (obvs this person doesn't know Koots never worked for Tay).

Taylor knew the tea!

Also new today, here are some excerpts from the Rolling Stone podcast celebrating Red (#99 on their Greatest Albums of All Time list - it's on Amazon Prime music if anyone's interested):

Taylor: Wow, I didn't know it was in the top 100! That's very exciting news. I was surprised that it was ranked to be honest with you, because Red was the first time I ventured outside of Nashville and was just in full exploration mode. It was like a songwriter apprenticeship, like I wanted to see how every producer I admired worked, and I got to on Red. So I'm really stoked to see that that's the one that's highest on the list

. . .

I’ve always been very aware of my own sort of relevancy and mortality. My career started when I was 16, putting out albums, so by 22, I was already watching newer, cooler artists come out every week, and I was already feeling like, 'You know, shit! I'm on my fourth record. What can I offer people?' And that was sort of when I was like 'You know what? I don't want this to be the part of me that just sort of stays in this one place musically forever and bores people to death. There was an interesting sort of wrestling match with my own fears of remaining stagnant that made Red the kind of joyride that it ended up being.

So we were having these successful songs at pop radio, like We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together and I Knew You Were Trouble, but we also had songs like Begin Again that were absolutely completely and totally country songs. I really felt like I was standing on a state line and I had a foot on either side of the border line and I was just getting to exist in both worlds, which for me at the time was really thrilling.

. . .

I do agree (that everything that's happened since) wouldn't have happened without Red. I felt so proud and still feel so proud of my origins in Nashville, but at a certain point I started to feel like, 'Am I allowed to color outside the lines here?' And it really was amazing on Red to realize I'm allowed in these rooms, I'm accepted in these rooms. That was something that freed me up for a world of change and challenge and innovation and I never would have had the bravery to make the full leap into pop music if I hadn't been able to do what I did with Red, or work with the people that I worked with, and I will always look back on it and think, 'That was really sort of the beginning of everything that I'm doing now.'

. . . .

I love Jackson Pollock and I really do see this album as my splatter paint album, just using all the colors and throwing it at the wall and seeing what sticks. And I really think that when the album came out it had a lot of people that were criticizing it for its - the fans make fun of me for saying this so much over the course of a few years - its lack of being sonically cohesive. It was absolutely not cohesive but it was sort of a metaphor for how messy a real breakup is. I look back on this as my only true break-up albums. Every other albums has flickers of different things, but this was an album I wrote specifically about like, a pure, absolute, to the core heartbreak. And you do a lot of vacillating and changing when you do something like that! So this record actually is an accurate depiction, symbolically, of that.

. . .

The first songs I wrote for the album are the Nashville songs - the ones I did with Nathan Chapman. Songs like State of Grace, Stay Stay Stay, All Too Well. Those are songs that I wrote first, and then I kind of made this journey out to LA and started working with other people. Red was sort of like a wellspring of really important relationships that I carried with me for the rest of my career, like you know, I became best friends with Ed Sheeran, and he's still someone that I talk to every week, and Max Martin, who was the person who taught me more about writing than anyone I can imagine ever meeting. So it's like, this was a really important record for me in terms of the origins of things that I carried with me.

. . . .

“The first song that was written was All Too Well, and it was a day when I was just like a broken human walking into rehearsal just feeling terrible about what was going on in my personal life. And I walked in and I remember we had just hired David Cook, who is my band leader ever since then. But it was, I think it was his first day meeting me, and I think I ended up just playing four chords over and over again and the band started kicking in like Amos Heller on bass and people started playing along with me. I think they could tell I was really going through it. And I just started singing and riffing and sort of ad-libbing this song that basically was All Too Well. And it started with ‘I walked through the door with you, the air was cold’ - like it literally just was that song, but it had probably seven extra verses. And it included the f-word, and I remember my sound guy was like ‘Hey, I burned a CD of that thing you were doing, in case you want it.’ And I was like 'Sure!’ I ended up taking it home and listening to it and I was like, 'I actually really like this, but it definitely is like 10 minutes long and I need to pare it down, so I’m going to call Liz Rose. […] And she came over, I played it for her, and she was like 'Whoa, I love this.’ And so we kind of edited it and pared it down to what it is now, but that was a very serendipitous creation of song.”

. . .

I never imagined that (All Too Well would become such a favorite) because it wasn't a single, and it didn't have a video and all these kinds of ways I was taught music permeated culture, I didn't see that happening with that song. Now, I remember playing it on the Grammys because the fans wanted to hear it a lot, but I truly didn't think it would become something that had the life of a song beyond a lot of the songs I did that had singles, music video kind of assets going on. It really was amazing to watch, and I truly can't believe when I play it now live and everybody in the crowd knows every word. I'm truly astonished by it and I think that's one of the most beautiful things about this album for me, when I look back on it. I'm like, 'Wow, I really didn't pick that one as being one. I thought it was too dark, too sad, too intense, just too many things. You know? It's fun when things surprise you like that.

. . ..

Liz Rose: "She had this long song, story basically that she had put to music. It was pretty awesome to be part of it and help her pull out the pieces that put it all together. Taylor, to me, always when we were writing, Taylor was producing it while she was writing. I honestly believe Taylor writes a lot picturing the whole journey of the song. She doesn't just write a song and say 'Oh, let me go see what someone's going to do with it.' She was writing an emotion into the song as she was writing the song."

. . .

I came in and (Max and Shellback) played a track that they had made in preparation for this, and I wrote something over the track, and then I think after that, I was telling them a story about what I was going through, and then I started just kind of singing 'We are never, ever, ever..' and Max was like 'That's great! We're writing that. We've gotta write that.' And then Johan was like, 'We could be like, 'we-E,' like little kids on a playground.
                              And that was kind of the first time that I realized that these people think in a way that is so mystical and magical and the way you can hear a hook that isn't really musical notes, but like a sound. These kinds of pop wizards, I remember being so, so challenged writing with them.

I remember bringing in this slow, sad thing I had written called I Knew You Were Trouble - I had originally called it Trouble - and I walked in and was like, 'I don't know if we can have some really intense bass drop or something, like dubstep is really awesome.' And they were just like 'Yes, absolutely!' and Shellback was like 'In this verse, let's do this really, really frantic drum beat.' and this was something I would never have thought of, to make the beat of the verse really up-tempo and then sort of make the intensity drop with the chorus and then have it build back up and have production explosion at the end of the chorus. It was so thrilling and I couldn't believe this song started where it started. And their ideas with production ended up starting to seep into my brain and I started thinking the way I would hope they'd think. I would write a verse and Max would be like, 'This is this many syllables. Can you shorten it and be more succinct but convey the same message?' And I would just go off into the corner and felt like I had this amazing assignment. So it was like the challenge of it was so thrilling for me.

Brian Hiatt: "It’s more that she recognized that just as we do, just as anyone can, that those fears (about everything coming crashing down) that she had at that time did come true. It was very close to what she foresaw in some ways. But I was talking to someone who had lived through some of her worst fears and who had moved beyond it. And I also was talking to someone who was a real grown-up. It had been a long time (between the two interviews) . . . it had been eight years, she grew up a lot. She always was a very mature person but she was around 30, and I was talking to someone else who was at least as adult as me - probably more, I would say - but also very much the same. I think something I wrote in the intro that piece, the second piece, is the idea that still - zero poker face. Her emotions are so close to the surface in just her daily existence, and I think that does tie into her songwriting, it ties into why she can be a great screen presence, it ties into what everyone thought was the phony, surprise face thing, which was actually totally real. That’s just what she is."

(h/t to cages-boxes-hunters-foxes for the transcript)

Speaking of lyrical mastery in general, here's a twitter thread that fellow word nerds might enjoy:

https://twitter.com/chrtucci/status/1328405825463873536

I love everything about that, but I think he missed quite a few!

Okay normally I like to end with a bunch of kay nonsense, but I have limited time today so I ain't gonna. But I have some saved up (bbgate!!), and will do a post for that. Suffice it to say, the Kay Klown Kirkus are Still At It, obvs, and we will revisit them soon-ish.

Last edited by ophy; 11-17-2020, 11:32 AM.

Comment

• Here are some interesting musings!

That puts Shamrock's issues into perspective. Taylor has said all along that Koots was over valuing (and over paid) for her catalogue, so it would be very very interesting to know how this deal was structured and for how much exactly. A fire sale sounds way more likely than the 300 million number he is tossing around, right?

But I don't know if the whole thing about Shamrock being willing to wait out their entanglement with Kooter before working with Taylor is right. If she re-records, she will have zero incentive to ever license anything other than her new masters to anyone, even after Koots doesn't benefit anymore.

Maybe they are just taking a really long view with streaming and greatest hits compilations, etc? The Swifties let all of Koots attempts to monetize the older stuff flop because it was him, but maybe they think the fans will consider Shamrock to be more benign and will start streaming and buying stuff they put out again.

I really don't know what their endgame is here, pardon the pun, but it FEELS like they picked this up for a bargain price and so it doesn't matter too much to them what she does, maybe.

Comment

Working...
                                X