No announcement yet.

And the Oscar goes to...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• While scavenging for JenLaw news in the wake of the Oscars, I stumbled across this gem. Poor Leo, he'll get his one day, but these memes made me laugh and laugh.

My fave:

Comment

• Poor Leo!

I really no opinion on him whatsoever. But poor Leo!

JLaw relaxing in Hawaii with wine, a joint, and a friend: http://www.popsugar.com/Jennifer-Law...tures-28338709

Oh, yes. She and Kristen should definitely become buddies.

Comment

• Even her flaws are flawless.

Comment

• NY Mag examines why we hate AH and love Jlaw: http://nymag.com/thecut/2013/02/why-...-lawrence.html

At first blush, though, the two actresses have much in common. They’re both incredibly driven, making several films a year, and knew from a young age they wanted to be actresses. Much of what we love about Lawrence should also translate to love for Hathaway. When David Letterman asked Hathaway how she lost 25 pounds for her Les Miz role, she replied, “You don’t want to know. It would just make you worry.” J.Law drew props for confessing “I’m starving!” on the red carpet, but Hathaway has also described how she and Devil Wears Prada co-star Emily Blunt “would clutch at each other and cry because we were so hungry." Are these really that different?

Comment

• For me, it breaks down to the fact that Anne embodies the main traits I find annoying in everyone. Eagerness with a desperate need to be liked and appreciated. I really can't with people like that. And actually, I think that says way more about me and what a shitty person I am than it does about anyone who actually possesses any of those characteristics in their personality. Conversely, JLaw's image is all about being a sarcastic, self-deprecating goofball, all three of which feel much closer to my own way of relating to the world.

Comment

• Yeah, I think those NY Mag comparisons are weird. They have a lot in common because they both are actresses who get hungry when they don't eat? It seems like an arbitrary thing for them to have in common, or at least something that a lot of actresses would have in common.

I really liked AH up until very recently. It just feels like she tries too hard and it comes across like she is an actress trying to emulate a likeable human being. JLaw seems more genuine where AH seems contrived. Like, I believe that when JLaw says something awkward that she is just a normal person who says awkward things sometimes. And if AH were to say something similar, I would believe that she practiced it in front of the mirror for hours beforehand in order to come across as a normal person who says awkward things sometimes.

Comment

• ITA and ITA. The main difference is JenLaw's sense of humor. She respects her Hollywood peers, but she has an innate ability to not give a fuck in the best possible ways, at the best possible times.

Comment

• I am torn on Hathaway. I don't hate her. I liked when she took apart icky Matt Lauer when he was all in her biz over a crotch shot that. She handled that brilliantly and I wonder how rehearsed she was in that moment.

Howevs, "It came true!" is too much. Her weird turns of phrase put me off. I can't remember what she said at the Globes offhand but it was totes bizarre! She does seem like an actress trying to emulate a human being who does not understand the human condition--super extra weird in that she is actually a pretty good actress in actual movies.

Playing yourself is the hardest part, I guess.
                  Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• See I find JLaw to be *just* as rehearsed as Anne, she's just a better at concealing it. A friend and I were discussing on Oscar night that the absolute genius of JLaw (and her team) is that she humps harder for this Hollywood ish than anyone and yet no one notices her doing it.

I can't with the JLaw/Kristen double standard. It makes me stabby.

Comment

• AH reminds me of a girl in my grade 6 class. She was kinda cute, kinda dorky, super smart and EVERYONE had a crush on her because she was just so adorbs. Until you displeased her - then that beyotch would cut you.
                      JLaw is your best friend's less dorky other best friend, more likely to call you on your b.s. rather than throw you under a bus.
                      KStew is a combo of both - but because her eyes look so mean you're scared she'll cut you when the worst she'd ever do is roll her eyes and diss your shite.

eta: when she tripped I immediately thought it was staged. If that were me? I'd broken something, ripped the dress, flashed nip, and had Hugh Jackman running the other way. She looked almost gracefull when she tripped. But considering that shite is going to be dragged out for the rest of her life - nah, total klutz.

eta 2: remembered I wanted to say something about Jennk's post.
                      It just feels like she tries too hard and it comes across like she is an actress trying to emulate a likeable human being.
                      JLaw seems more genuine where AH seems contrived. Like, I believe that when JLaw says something awkward that she is just a normal person who says awkward things sometimes. And if AH were to say something similar, I would believe that she practiced it in front of the mirror for hours beforehand in order to come across as a normal person who says awkward things sometimes.

1st - makes AH sound like a female Dexter.
                      2 - rehearsing being awkward. When Reese won for Ring of Fire - remember we were saying she's so Type A that she rehearsed her off the cuff speech

that is all. I swear.
                      Last edited by Res; 03-01-2013, 12:27 AM.

Comment

• What's the double standard? Edumacate me!

If AH is as off-the-cuff (or just as rehearsed) as JenLaw, maybe it is just AH's phrasing and the rattled energy she gives off that makes it seem as though she's asking you to please, please love her. I don't know. The backlash to the backlash now assumes that if you criticize AH, it means you're a sexist, and I find that kinda infuriating. How she presents herself in certain situations genuinely makes me uncomf. It has nothing to do with her success. Hey, proud of you, Princess of Genovia! AH is clearly an obscenely nice person and I appreciate that she's a feminist, but I can still say "It came true" made me cringe and her dress looked like a satin BBQ apron, okay, Lena Dunham?

As for JenLaw's trip- I think it looked so graceful because that's what happens when you sink into a parachute!

Comment

• The big difference between JLaw and AH/KS is that Jen comes off as more comfortable in her own skin. She says goofy stuff and holds court. I get her because I can be like that. My "on" for social events is wackier than my everyday self. She also knows what to say to ingratiate herself to others while also maintaining her personality. She has high EQ!

AH is so posed and therefore so guarded that she comes off as inauthentic. The weirdly worded speeches and staring at your Oscar like its your dream baby is just insane behavior. She seems like the worst parody of an actress when she does cray shit like that.

KS makes people angry because she comes off as authentic but ungrateful (and she propbably is up to a point because she grew up in the business; it's not a magical place of money and wonder, it's her backyard) because her uncomfortable face comes off as surly. But I think she looks uncomfortable and like she is tryng to swallow her tongue unless Rob is next to her, then she seems to chill. He should always walk the carpet with her, I do not care how secret squirrel they want to be. It's not selling out because everybody knows and couples go to events with each other. Just be a normal couple already! What if one were nommed? Would the other stay home? Nonsense.
                          Last edited by isadora; 03-01-2013, 11:01 AM.
                          Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• He should always walk the carpet with her, I do not care how secret squirrel they want to be.
                            Yeah.

Comment

• I had someone tell me that the difference between KS's and JLaw's awkwardness in terms of being palatable to the public is that KS is an introvert and JLaw is an extrovert and it's actually her introvertedness that makes me people uncomfortable, not just that she's awkward because lots of people are awkward. Which makes total sense. And I guess because she's an extrovert- swearing in interviews and flipping off cameras looks like fun-loving, anti-establishment but in a harmless way behavior for JLaw whereas when Kristen does it, people assume she's angry (and surly and ungrateful). JLaw is caught with weed and she's a relaxed, hippie chick - Kristen is caught with weed and she's a barely functional stoner. JLaw can tell EW that acting is stupid and she's patted on the back for not taking it too seriously but Kristen is the one who doesn't give a shit about her profession as evidenced by... no interview ever. It's super cute that they're RL friends and says a lot about both of them but the media narrative is effing exhausting.

And BIG YES Is, Kristen should always be with Rob because she is a different person when he's around. BUT I don't think she recognizes she's a different person or at least feels like she needs to try to be able to do stuff on her own. No one remembers but Kristen got a ration of shit from the blogosphere the last time she presented at the Oscars in 2010 for... clearing her throat w/ a cough. She wore the gown, had the fancy updo, read her intro serviceably and was lambasted online for disrespecting the institution by coughing. She was on Leno shortly thereafter and he brought up the criticism she received for her appearance and she said, this is going to surprise people but I was actually really proud of myself. Because that's how hard it is for her to do these kinds of appearances (by herself). It was the same situation as this year - Rob was out of town filming. And frankly, when she doesn't look nervous and *is* comfortable in her own skin... that's a red flag. Also, it goes both ways- I think he looks totally disengaged from whatever he's doing unless she's around.

So basically, any time she ever does anything super public like an awards show, she's going to eff it up somehow because that's what people expect of her even if she really doesn't do anything offensive or inappropriate. I've read so many comments about how the least she could do is smile when she's onstage and like... this is what she looks like smiling. See also: smiling.

But anyway, one of the crucial differences between JLaw and KS is their teams. JLaw thanked her CAA team and her publicity team and like... yeah. Kristen has the worst publicist ever if her client who is a petite 22 year old girl w/ industry respect seriously injured herself and turns up to the Oscars anyway to soldier on and she gets criticism instead of sympathy. I'm not saying she wants sympathy but a better publicist would know how to spin that shit in her client's favor.

/tl;dr stan post

Comment

• I've long said KS's people are The Worst. I mean, if you have a gal who is awkward and has a hard time with public appearances then WORK WITH HER and MAKE HER BETTER if only so she can have some victories to improve her confidence. And you can spin things to make her more sympathetic! And they should actually be dropping great stories about her (that are approrpriately bland but nice--I mean, if Christian Bale can scream at a stage hand and then go viral by simply showing and talking to sick kids then anything is possible) and improving her public image. WTF. It's basic PR for the love of Pat Kingsley. And it would not require her super duper buy-in so she's not all high-strung about it.

In other news, like Laa I'm TIRED of seeing stories defending Anne Hathaway and basically saying that any dislike of her is rooted in sexism. I saw another two just today! Anne Hathaway's acceptance speeches were CRAZY. And it's okay to say that. I don't get just irrational hatred of her across the board (though who am I to judge? I still hate Gloria Estefan for reasons I don't understand).

Comment

Working...
                                X