No announcement yet.

And the Oscar goes to...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last year, Steve Martin hosted the show and I think Whoopi did do the one before that. As for Charlize's mom and dad, I've read that he was abusive to her mother and was threatening the same with Charlize so her mom shot and killed him as an act of self-defense. IIRC, Charlize witnessed the shooting and it happened when she was in her early teens. Many of her interviews have covered the subject even though she doesn't talk about it much.

Comment

edited because Issie and I posted at the same time.

Comment

Her dad was a mean drunk and her mom finally took care of bidness when things got too far out of hand.

It's a good story! The Diane Sawyer interview was good shit!

I wish they would come out with DVDs of particularly juicy celeb interviews. Like when Anne Heche discussed her psychotic episodes/lust of Ellen? OMB! Best.interview.evah!
        Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

I love the Charlize's Mom Killed Her Daddy Story!

MURRAY UPSET AT OSCAR RESULT

Actor Bill Murray shocked guests at Sunday night's Academy Awards when he refused to clap as rival nominee Sean Penn was named Best Actor.
          The "Lost in Translation" star looked annoyed when Nicole Kidman announced Penn had won for his performance in "Mystic River."

According to British newspaper the Sun, Murray later shouted at organizers, "If I knew this was going to happen, I wouldn't have bothered coming."

The 53-year-old comedian has made no secret of his dislike of award ceremonies, and didn't show up to collect the Best Actor award at London's BAFTAS last month.

Murray has said, "Awards are meaningless to me, and I have nothing but disdain for anyone who actively campaigns to get one.

"It's a really unattractive sight to see an actor or actress who really wants an Oscar. And you often see it on the show -- you see their faces and the desperation is so ugly."
          That's kinda rude, yo.

Comment

I really don't believe that he was that pissed. Well, that openly pissed. I'm guessing that the "I wouldn't have bothered coming" remark was said jokingly (if it was said at all).

I did hate that Billy Crystal made a big deal out of it right afterwards with his, "Bill, don't leave." Then again, I hated everything Billy Crystal did. Why didn't they get Steve Martin? Or Coney?

Comment

I didn't think he was being serious about it either. He was just sitting there when Billy started up with him, and looked rather confused about why the hell he was messing with him.

You can't make me dislike Bill Murray, yo.

I did think it was a little weird that Sean Penn got the reception he did. I know he's very respected, but he's always, always made such a fuss about how much he hates award shows. The fact that he actually showed up this year for his FOURTH nomination made me think someone must have tipped him off.

I blame Julia Roberts.
              "But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.Ē---Kanye

Comment

I agree that Bill had to be kidding.

The scuttlebut around here is that Sean Penn's publicists waged a campaign to make up for any bad blood academy members may have felt toward him for skipping past ceremonies. Which, is kinda pathetic. I think Sean is a great actor, but that kinda leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

The thing that pissed me off was every time they showed that part of the theater, Mr. Seatfiller was in Penn's seat. If Marcia Gay Harden can sit there 9 months pregant with twins AFTER she already lost and be gracious, he could at least sit for some of the ceremony.

Comment

He was probably off making a drunken phone call to Madonna about winning where she couldn't.

"Remember Shanghai Surprise, bitch? DO YOU!"
                  "But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.Ē---Kanye

Comment

I just had to post to add the Billy hate. OMB. SO LAME. Crystal and Bush. Hated them both.

I want to believe the Bill Murray thing is some sort of joke misinterpreted.

Also, Sean Penn is on my list because of I Am Sam. There's *nothing* that grates my cheese more than actors playing the 'tard card! It's embarrassing. I don't care about Rainman, that was embarrassing, too. Scent of A Woman? Pacino, take a seat, you're making me blush. I've had people tell me we weren't supposed to think he was impaired but I suspect otherwise.
                    Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

Leo in Gilbert Grape? Mel in Tim?

Actually - Leo was astonishing, but then I think he is a great actor anyway - until Titanic at least (not including the atrocity that was The Quick and the Dead).

Comment

A friend of mine mentioned this to me and it cracked me up:
                        To put it in perspective, last night Oscars were awarded to the stars of Shanghai Surprise, The Astronaut's Wife, Howard the Duck and Texas Chainsaw Massacre: A New Generation. Not to mention the director of <I>Meet the Feebles[/i]

Comment

I cracked up when Jackson mentioned Meet the Feebs.

I wish Rene would have thanked the director of TCM!

Comment

I was skimming around Amazon and this review CMSU:
                            Sophia has proven herself as dismal a writer as she was an actress (and who can forget her abysmal performance in "Godfather 3"?)

It is an outrage that she was nominated for best director, particularly since Barbra Streisand had been ignored for "Prince of Tides".

Seriously, Sophia wasn't THAT bad in G3. It's not her fault the movie sucked ass! Also? I think's Streisand's obsession with her own talon-like fingernails kept her from getting a nomination but I could be wrong. It could have been because the movie wasn't that good.

Comment

Allow me to step on a familiar rant-platform:

She BUTCHERED what was a really good read. She made it all about the therapist (her character), a tertiary character, and her soft-focus shots instead of the gritty meat of the novel. The brother and sister are barely mentioned.

Everyone I've ever met that is a Conroy fan has cursed her black heart and acrylic nails for that steaming two-hour pile of poo.

Comment

The brother and sister are barely mentioned.
                                Oh man, that pissed me off. I loved Luke in the book and seeing him reduced to a random red-haired guy with a shotgun made me kerr-azy.

I was reading a vaguely spoiler-y article about The Sopranos (which, oddly, also mentions The Prince of Tides) and saw this at the bottom:
                                Oscar Notes: Murray Didn't Complain

Just going through some Oscar notes, and I see a wire story that Bill Murray threw some kind of tantrum about losing after the show. Ridiculous. When Murray and his wife emerged from the auditorium into the bar area of the Kodak, a huge crowd gathered and gave him an ovation. Murray waved, said something cryptic about his age, and then went to the Governor's Ball. I went up on the elevator with him; he was in good humor.
                                *feels vindicated*

Comment

Working...
                                X