No announcement yet.

And the Oscar goes to...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Golden Globes are tomorrow, but this is one of those years that doesn't really have a frontrunner in all the categories. It should be interesting. My picks-

Picture Drama: The Departed
    Picture Comedy/Musical: Dreamgirls
    Actress Drama: Mirren
    Actor Drama: Leo for The Departed, but he might split his own votes so if that happens, I'm gonna guess O'Toole for the respected older actor vote

*Poor, poor Winslet. What is her deal that she can never seem to win? I want her to win, but I just think the hype over Mirren will influence the vote too much for that to happen. And it'd be cute if the Titanic kids got a pair the same year so many years later.

Actress C/M: Streep
    Actor C/M: This is a hard one. Maybe Depp? The critics love him, but POTC is so campy and the sequel was largely bashed. I'd love for Borat to win just on the off chance that he'll do the acceptance speech in character.

Supporting Actress: Hudson, but I really, really loved Emily Blunt in Prada. Too bad it opened so early, plus I don't think anyone knows enough about her to vote for her.

Supporting Actor: Murphy
    Director: I wanna say Scorsese, but he's up against Eastwood
    again! But Eastwood is nominated twice so he may split his own votes.

Those are the only categories I care about. Oh and animated, but I liked all three of the nominees. I'm gonna guess Happy Feet, just because it opened the latest and is still fresh for a lot of people.

Comment

• I think Borat's a lock!

Doesn't it always split the vote when you have an actor nominated in two slots/categories? Seems that way to me.

I like the Globes because the odds of people being drunk while presenting/accepting is quite high.
      Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• America Ferrara's acceptance speech makes me bawl. I'm such a baby about that kind of thing! Young girls tell her Ugly Betty makes them feel worthy! Awww! That makes me want to watch it.

And I liked Jennifer Hudson's speech, too! Yay for all the old and fat ladies winning! By "Fat" I mean "Hollywood Fat"! Hee!
        Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• I liked AF's speech, too and I loved that she really seemed to move everyone in the room with her sincerity. So nice to know that all those folks aren't completely desensitized to stuff like that yet.

My favorite speeches were the Brits'. It cracked me up that they were cleaning up awards left and right because their speeches are always the best and they're always the ones who seem largely unemotional. Hugh Laurie, Jeremy Irons (is he British?) and Sascha Baron Cohen made the night for me.
          Last edited by IssieCol; 01-17-2007, 01:16 PM.

Comment

• Jeremy Irons (yup, he's a Brit) was awesome. When he won, he stopped at the Entourage table and shook hands with the red-haired dude, who had to point Jeremy Piven out to him, like, "I think you wanted to shake hands with him." that he has no idea who anyone is.

AF made me cry too. I wanted to smack the chick who interviewed her when she got off stage.

I loved how Annette Bening was knocking back champagne every time the camera went to her. I'd drink a lot too if I was married to boring ass Beatty. Did you know they had to cut the Little Children clips out of the show because he talked for so long? Jackass.

Comment

• I didn't watch but I laughed when I heard that Dreamgirls won everything except in Beyonce's category!
              "But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.Ē---Kanye

Comment

• Noms are out. I'm happy about Alan Arkin (even if I did think Little Miss Sunshine was overrated) and the continued snubbing of Beyonce, but other than that, meh. I'll only be tuning in for the dresses and Ellen.

Comment

• So Mirren won the Bafta, as did Forrest Whittaker. I'm distraught that Greengrass won best director for what is largely a work of exploitative, sentimental fiction (of course, that's me not having seen it), which means you just KNOW he's going to get the oscar too.

Gah.

Comment

• Actually, I think most folks who've seen the movies say the Oliver Stone flick is a sentimental fiction while Greengrass's film is painfully specific in its recreation. As specific as possible, given what we know about the doomed flights.

That said? I have no interest in either of the 9/11 flicks. No matter how respectful, they sort of ick me out.

Also? Hollywood so does not care about the BAFTA awards. Hee!

Comment

• That Olly Stone has been sentimental doesn't shock me at all, but I just don't believe that we do know enough about what went on on that flight. Don't get me wrong, I think a lot of what we think happened actually did, but really? It's all a guess. An educated one, but a guess nonetheless.

Oh - and America (or Hollywood - whatev.) not giving a shit about anything happening outside its borders? Really - I'm stunned.

Comment

• We saw the Oliver Stone one this past weekend via Netflix, and it honestly just bored us. It wasn't all that interesting of a movie, nor did it make me all sniffly (and I'm an easy target).

Comment

• I was reluctant to see both films initially (particularly United 93 since I also thought it seemed extremely exploitative,) but they could not be more different.

United 93 is breathtaking and beautifully filmed. I was engaged from the minute it opened and spent the last act, crying and hiding in my sweatshirt. It helps that the entire cast is virtually unrecognizable (save for Abel Koontz.)I also feared it would be heavily jingoistic but it was much more character-driven and not so focused on The Day.

World Trade Center , on the other hand, is embarrassingly bad. The Port Authority workers deserved a much stronger film telling their story. The main problem is that the film is almost entirely dialogue, but the script is so stilted and over the top cheesy. Not even Maggie Gyllenhahl and Maria Bello (both of whom I normally love) could save it. It also suffered from serious editing glitches as Frank Whaley's character gets a meaningful resolution scene even though we never saw any of his storyline and he has about 3 min. of screentime total. So not only was it boring, it's also lazy filmmaking.

I'm not that excited about the show this year mainly because the same four actors have won their respective categories at every awards show so far. But this is the first time in a long time where I don't favor any Best Picture nominee over the others and I don't think any of the noms qualify as best picture of 2006.
                          Last edited by emmaleigh; 02-13-2007, 01:36 PM.

Comment

• Hmm... I may check out United 93 then.
                            "But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.Ē---Kanye

Comment

• This was a very Euro Oscars, wasn't it? Seemed like every other winner or presenter had a sexay accent. And Javier Bardem's speech in Spanish to his mama!!!

Best moment was when Jon Stewart let the little Czech girl come back to say her thank yous. Worst moment was that ridiculously bad Disney song (the last one) with the fake Amy Adams and Patrick Dempsey awkwardly twirling about.

Fashion-wise, it didn't look like anyone had a smash hit onstage (haven't checked out the red carpet yet). Nobody to even touch MW's divine yellow in 2006. From what I saw, Helen Mirren was stunning and I her dress the best. I'd like to do my wedding over and wear that. Gorgeous. And Daniel Day Lewis' wife had the most inexplicable dress on. Kept itching to tear those bizarre red ribbons?straps? off of it. *shudder*

Um . . . .can't have an opinion on the movies since I haven't seen any of them.

Oh, and George Clooney's girlfriend looked crazy vacant, didn't she? He sure does like'em dumb.

Comment

• My neighbor pal came over and we watched it while snacking on shrimp and spinach dip. I enjoyed that more than she show.

Helen Mirren is just a spectacularly hot old lady, no? Fabulous dress.

And my neighbor kept saying: WHAT is up with Clooney's girlfriend. She seems really sweet and dumb like a baby deer.

We watched in HD for the first time and we couldn't get over what bad skin/wrinkles all the celebs had. I HD! Cameron Diaz has terribly rough skin! Tom Hanks is very blotchy and rubbery. Harrison Ford looked weirdly good for being like 80. But Travolta? He was the weirdest. We pondered his odd looking hair plugs and strangely beefy mug for quite a long time, eventually deciding that in addition to plugs, he must be on HGH or something like that. He seriously looked so block headed! And his eyes were all squinty. He was just fascinating! It was like he was wearing a human mask!

Comment

Working...
                                X