And the Oscar goes to...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• isadora
    started a topic And the Oscar goes to...

And the Oscar goes to...

How big of a dork does it make me that I raced to find out the nominations as soon as I got up this morning? And I was BITTER it was early this year because it's always in February! Hee.

It probably doesn't make me as big a dork as the fact that I was, like, ANGRY because so many articles didn't include the noms for Best Documentary and I had to hunt for them, just a lil' bit.

I ran to the video store to rent the Oscar Nominated! Capturing the Friedmans (which I missed in the theater ) this morning and realized I need Netflix back SO BAD. It cost $4.29 to rent a movie at my local Blockbuster! I was horrified! RIP OFF! Hee. I miss movies.

• LaaLaa
    replied
    I haven't watched a lot of this year's noms yet, but GBH winning for makeup over Foxcatcher and Guardians? My eyes rolled so hard they hurt.

Leave a comment:

• emmaleigh
    replied
    See, I never considered Boyhood would win Best Editing and figured it would be the one "big win" for a Best Pic nominee that had no hope of winning Best Picture, in this case either Whiplash or American Sniper. I was really happy with the Whiplash win. Even Inarritu winning didn't seal it for me because they've split director/picture the last few years. But the category presenter really telegraphed it like when Michael Douglas presented for 03 and Chicago won (another totally ridiculous BP win.)

I think it's interesting that none of the major nominees were shut out and every picture went home with something but also interesting that considering some suspected American Sniper might sneak in and take it all, it's only win of the night was a technical award.

This year was like bizarro world for me. Normally I don't like Linklater's films but loved Boyhood, do like Inarritu's films but hated Birdman, hate when a gimmicky biopic perf wins over an original character but thought Redmayne deserved it over Keaton, hate when Harvey hijacks it but felt Imitation Game could've had more recognition, etc.

I thought NPH did fine and I'm not really a NPH fan. Hosting the Oscars is a totally thankless gig.

Leave a comment:

• IssieCol
    replied
    when it didn't win for best editing because I saw the writing on the wall
    I should have been smart like you when this happened because I did yell at my TV like, "WHAT? 12 years of footage cut together perfectly, assholes!" But I still held out hope so when Birdman won, I was all, "BOO, YOU WHORES!"

And it's not even like I hated Birdman, I thought it was a good movie and I'm glad I watched it. But in comparison to Boyhood, I just did not care that much about it. But its story of a washed up actor getting super powers or whatever probs really spoke to the insecure hearts of many of the academy voters. By BPing Birdman, they were really just rewarding themselves. Which, I mean, typical, you know? That's how I'ma rationalize it anyway.

Leave a comment:

• emmaleigh
    replied
    Cosigning both your posts.

I haven't loved a film the way I love Boyhood in a long, looooong time (and I'm not usually a Linklater fan.)It was flat out sublime from start to finish. I got so excited when it looked like it would take the big one and increasingly antsy as Birdman gained momentum in the last couple weeks. Last night I continued to hold out hope but once Sean Penn walked out I knew it was over. It also doesn't help that I hated Birdman.

If I had to evaluate the best pic nominees from best to worst-- Boyhood, Whiplash, Selma, Imitation Game, Theory of Everything, Birdman, Grand Budapest Hotel.
    I didn't see American Sniper.

ETA: One of my fave things about Boyhood was the local TX casting like FNL did hence appearances by Pam Garrity and Street's baby mama, Erin.
    Last edited by emmaleigh; 02-23-2015, 11:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

• BreezyK
    replied
    I completely agree Issie! I loved it so much and let out an audible OH NOOOOOOO when it didn't win for best editing because I saw the writing on the wall. A very concentrated smear campaign against it worked (like a totally bizarre piece in the Times two weeks ago about how it was just a knock off of the Seven Up documentary series??) and that makes me sad.

Leave a comment:

• IssieCol
    replied
    So I'm super bummed that Boyhood lost Best Director and Best Film. I just loved the SHIIIIIIIT outta that movie and I've now seen it 3x and just keep on loving it more. I know I'm probs mega biased because it's basically one giant love letter to so many of the parts of Texas that I love, love, love (my hometown, my alma mater and Austin, my Lastros, Big Bend) but man, the filmmaking on Linklater's part was magnificent too. The story felt seamless and flowed beautifully and I just wanted to keep living out those characters' stories. Like, I could have watched that Coltrane kid all the way up to his move into assisted living, you know?

Leave a comment:

• ophy
    replied
    I feel like it's BJ's fault. I feel like if we trapped the two of them in an elevator for a few hours to work things out, Mindy would not even be mad. She'd probably high five us.

Love OW and Sudeikis with no shame. They are just perf.

Perhaps her Italian prince was on the serious side, so a legit funny man is just what she needs now. Lots of laughter stored up.

Leave a comment:

• isadora
    replied
    OW seems wayyyyy into him. She giggled like a schoolgirl on a first date every time he made a lame joke on the red carpet. It kinda won me over. It reminded me of this time that my gal pal posted a vid on FB of her husband doing something stupid to make her laugh and I didn't even think he was funny but she was dying laughing in the background and for the first time in real life I was like: aw, I ship them together (even though they've been married for a decade). She just loves him and its adorbs.

Ok, let us speculate: I know nothing about BJ and Mindy IRL but one of those two is keeping them from being together and I don't know which one.

Leave a comment:

• LaaLaa
    replied
    See, I love them both! First of all, she is super out of his league and he knows it. Mostly I love that he's from my hood and he represents like The J in maple leaf shorts. Like, it warms my cold heart whenever he, Riggle and Rudd come back to do charity events specifically for a children's hospital here, and they're allllways catching a local game, tweeting about the hometown, rocking tees from local businesses... I also met him outside the Conan tour and he was v. sweet.

Oh! And on their last visit, TMZ (I can't believe TMZ sent someone here) got vid of them singing karaoke at a dive. I just want to be couple friendssss.
    Last edited by LaaLaa; 03-04-2014, 12:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• emmaleigh
    replied
    GAH. Mindy and BJ were flirting so hard on the red carpet before the party. I'm not crazy about the peplum but Mindy looks pretty fab.

I like OW a lot but I don't really know why. I feel like Sudeikis is probably a douche monster but she must have some crazy he tempers and I think becoming parents will humble them. They were cute on Celebrity Game Night, obvs charmed by each other but not overly cutesy couple-y at all.
    Last edited by emmaleigh; 03-03-2014, 11:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• IssieCol
    replied
    I can not figure out why I don't like Sudeikis and OW. They seem friendly and fun, but for some reason, I find them insufferable and cloying? But on a rational level, I fully recognize that they're not that different from my #1OTP, so I don't know. My taste is so weird.

Leave a comment:

• LaaLaa
    replied
    A couple more happy, fucking adorable couples.

(Shut up.)

Leave a comment:

• ophy
    replied
    Price recaps the Oscars: http://www.tv.com/shows/the-academy-...-139386511058/

Poor Travolta. He has dyslexia, you know! Plus, all the crazy and probably also pills, but whatever.

Leave a comment:

• ophy
    replied
    Okay, but this is gorgeous.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X