Rentals, Recs & Rages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Lohan time, it's been 20 years.
    Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• I watched Live. Die. Repeat./Edge of Tomorrow. It was very entertaining.

Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• I saw that in the theater and really liked it, much to my surprise. But I usually love time-travel movies. And my Cruise backlash had around five more backlashes so by now I don't have strong feelings about him whatsoever.

Comment

• Yeah, I don't really think about Tom Cruise. I mean, he's a nut but so are all super-famous people IMO. It's impossible not to be. They're not scientific geniuses. They are pretty people who pretend for a living. My expectations for them as humans are pretty low.

And I will sorta love him forever for the KH shenanigans now that they are over. That was kind of a golden era! LOL

Comment

• Samesies. Until he takes another child bride.

Comment

• I'd seen this a while ago and I really liked it. Time travel can be a hit or miss with me, but this one was well done, I think.
              sigpic

Comment

• So my dislike of Angelina is no secret, but I watched Maleficent on the plane and reallyreally liked it. For the most part. I cried! A few times! But I got so caught up I forgot it was Disney and ended up disappointed when it had a happy ending. I thought she (Maleficent) was going to die. I still enjoyed the different take on the story, though.

A Million Ways to Die in the West was asstastic. I think my embarrassing crush on Seth McFarlane is officially gone.

Comment

• I watched Gone Girl last night and I absolutely loved it. Everyone was amazing but I particularly thought Rosamund Piked killed it in this role. Pan intented.
                  sigpic

Comment

• "This is Where I Leave You" should have been so much better than it was given what a fantastic cast it had. I know it was adapted from a book so the main storyline was unavoidable but it was kind of infuriating having to follow whiny every-man Jason Bateman around on his done-to-death plot for an hour and forty minutes instead of spending that time on Tina Fey and Timothy Olyphant and Jane Fonda, whose characters were the only ones with actual interesting stuff going on. No, no, why would we want to know about a late-in-life pop-psychologist lesbian or a woman in a miserable marriage because she left the love of her life after he had a brain-damaging car accident when we could focus on another boring, distant married man whose wife cheated on him because he was boring and distant. Thank jebus he found a manic-pixie-dreamgirl to cure him of his boringness!

Ugh, I'm so sick of boy movies. And this one tricked me because it was billed as an ensemble when it was really about one person.

Comment

• I hated This Is Where I Leave You. It's one of the worst movies I've seen in a long time precisely because as you said, it *should* have been so much better. BUT the book was even more misogynistic than the movie IMO and they actually expanded the Tina Fey character for the movie. Also the author adapted the screenplay himself and you could tell (from the book and movie) that he was so impressed with his own cleverness.
                      I liked Adam Driver and Connie Britton but the whole thing seemed so dated to me; like the kind of family dramedies studios made in the 90s. The whole time I was just like, people don't talk like this. In the age where mumblecore/improv has become so mainstream, a scripted-within-an-inch-of-its-life piece like TIWILY is so stale. (Also why I hated The Way, Way Back.)

I did like the book (more than the film) because I didn't really have expectations for it.

Comment

• I thought St. Vincent was very good until the ending, which was a little too happy for my tastes (and not super believable). But the cast was fantastic. It's a shame Bill Murray didn't get an Oscar nod because he did turn in a great performance. Melissa McCarthy, too. Also, the little boy looked eerily like Alexis Bledel. He was seriously a little male Rory Gilmore.

The Maze Runner was total shite. What a complete waste of money.

Comment

• The Maze Runner was sooooooo bad and such a waste of my TV boyfriend's talents!

Comment

• Aw, I didn't realize it was your Teen Wolf dude. Is that who's in your avatar?
                            Last edited by roly; 02-19-2015, 08:06 PM.

Comment

• Yes! Dylan O'Brien.

Comment

• I've been on an Aubrey Plaza kick since I marathoned all of Parks & Rec from the beginning after the series finale so in the last week I watched Life After Beth, Ten Years, and About Alex.

Life After Beth was one of the bigger titles at Sundance 2014. It's written and directed by her RL boyfriend, Jeff Baena (who seems super douchey in interviews but wevs) and stars her, Dane DeHaan, Molly Shannon, John C. Reilly, and Anna Kendrick. Dane DeHaan is always really good and I liked moments in the first half but it totally falls apart. It's a zombie romantic dramedy but it doesn't do anything more than that. Beth dies, comes back, turns into a full-blown zombie, and triggers (?) a short-lived zombie apocalypse. It wasn't really funny or insightful or compelling or anything. Eh.

Ten Years is super shallow but kind of satisfying. Channing Tatum stars in and produced it and it has a huge cast - Jenna Dewan-Tatum, Rosario Dawson, Max Minghella, Kate Mara, Justin Long, Ari Graynor, Oscar Isaac, Chris Pratt, Ron Livingston, Anthony Mackie, Aubrey Plaza - and the whole film is the night of their ten year high school reunion. It's completely predictable with a dumb script, but the cast keeps it entertaining.

About Alex I had seen before when we considered it as an acquisition about a year ago. It's kind of a re-imagining of The Big Chill for millennials except this time Alex (Jason Ritter) attempts suicide but doesn't die and the group of college friends reunite for the weekend to check in on him. I liked it even though it's flawed and slight. Another pretty good cast (for a tiny indie movie) - Nate Parker, Maggie Grace, Max Minghella, Jane Levy, Max Greenfield, and Aubrey Plaza. It seems AP is the closest to her real self in this one and that's fun to see (it's not really like April Ludgate.) Plus if you wanna see April and Schmidt get it on, that's fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X