No announcement yet.

Rentals, Recs & Rages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I did not know I wanted to see April and Schmidt get it on until right this very second and now that's all I want.

Comment

• I finally saw Birdman and didn't hate it because the performances were pretty solid across the board but ugh I do NOT care about Boomer dudes grappling with their irrelevance. I just DO NOT. And the music was overdone and the gimmicky "single shot" thing called so much attention to itself it just felt pretentious and silly?

I did HATE the ending. HATED IT.
      Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• My feelings about Birdman changed as I watched it. I didn't love the opening but then I got into it and was impressed/engaged for like an hour and then it just fell apart. When he faces off with the critic in the bar, I was eyerolling hard and by the time he's in the liquor store, I just wanted it to be over. And then It. Just. Wouldn't. END. And then when it did end, I was so resentful that it took so long to get there and the sum of the parts was SO much greater than the whole that I lost all the goodwill I'd had in that first hour and was left with the feeling that I hated it. What I liked about it would amount to a couple sentences but I could talk for hours on what I disliked about it. Ha.

I watched Beyond the Lights last night. I was so curious about this one when it was in theaters because the marketing made it look like a cheesy The Bodyguard redux but it's written and directed by Gina Prince-Bythewood who did the underrated IMO, Love and Basketball. I liked it. There is a definitely an implausible (but awesome) love story but it's also a strong indictment of the music industry and especially, the commodification of sex, race, class, and 'other' that happens. Gugu Mbatha-Raw (who is amazing) is a Rihanna-ish pop star who tries to kill herself one night and ends up falling for the cop who saves her life. It's flawed but still worth watching.

Comment

• I watched the new Endless Love b/c HBO Now is a terrible idea for me--endless shitty on-demand b movies? YES PLEASE. This is why I didn't get HBO and the pay channels: I will never stand up again. I'm going to have to get a treadmill sofa.

Anyway, Endless Love was terrible, as expected, but I was disappointed in other ways as well but mostly by the fact that it was really lacking the over the top emo craziness of the original. Oh and also, Brooke Shields and Martin Hewitt were INSANELY beautiful in 1981 and while Gabriella Wilde is quite pretty I find her a little bland and Alex Pettyfer does noting for me at all.

I MEAN REALLY:

Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• I will NEVAH watch the new one; I know it cannot compare.

Comment

• I just can't make myself watch that. For some reason I have a serious hate-on for Alex Pettyfer and I can't get past it. He ruined Beastly for me and I went into it expecting to hate it.
              Last edited by gloopdygleep; 04-11-2015, 10:47 PM. Reason: Beastly = http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1152398/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_6

Comment

• I really can't recommend it, even as a cheesy good time. It was mostly boring.

Comment

• I finally saw The Fault in Our Stars and while it had a few nice moments and some solid performances it was basically a boring Lifetime movie.

Comment

• I never read it, but I watched it this weekend and yep, samesies. Even though I did tear up near the end, no one ever felt like a real human? Which is exactly how I felt about Alaska. The realest moments to me were maybe when she wants to cry about the shittiness of her life in general, but the last straw is looking at her shitty swing set and any time Shailene cried, basically.

Oh! And I guess Book Hazel has a friend, but Movie Hazel has nobody but Augustus. That also made her feel like not a person. It was all just so shiny and pretty. (shrugs)

Comment

• I don't remember Book Hazel having a friend. Her mom is her best friend, basically.

The kiss at the Anne Frank House is even weirder on screen than it was in the book!

Comment

• The interwebz say her friendship with Kaitlyn is superficial and acts as a reminder of what Hazel's life would be if she weren't sick. Ah well.

John Green's really tapped into KW's strategy of writing kids who talk like professors. I just think his characters need MOAR FLAWS.

The macking and the applause was super weird OMB.
                        Last edited by LaaLaa; 04-27-2015, 11:48 PM.

Comment

• I saw Chris Evans' new indie movie, "Before We Go" and I liked it. Cute and funny, nothing really ground breaking but a welcome change from all the superhero stuff lately. I also really liked "Southpaw" very much, mainly because it felt like a meta for man pain. It was if the movie was like "this is man pain in movies and this is how it is wrong" or something.

ETA: Also, the "Man from UNCLE" was such an aesthetically pleasing movie. I can't really tell if it was good or not because it was so pretty. I feel like it was also good? I liked that the worst pissing match between the two Alpha males was about Dior and Paco Rabanne.
                          Last edited by dada_teacher; 11-09-2015, 03:35 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

• I'm pretty sure the movie Trainwreck changed my life?

I liked Amy Schumer going in--foul-mouthed opinionated types are my faves!--but I feel like she kinda stole my best material for this movie. Last night I was GASPING laughing over some scenes. I regularly make Mr. Is adjust everything to snuggle and face his mouth away from my body because breathing heavy near me and getting ANY breath on my skin is DISGUSTING to me. I regularly alienate people at parties with inapprop stories (and I have told a story about having an Instead stuck to my cervix to women who were not interested in hearing that story before). I describe my tampons and periods in general as crime scenes on the regular and have FOR YEARS.

So I found a lot of it hilarious. But then I woke up this morning thinking that basically I'm the "before" personality in a movie now. Like she had to become a BETTER person to get to the end of the movie!

Spoiler alert: I have never become a better person! Like this movie might push me into therapy.

Comment

• I just saw Nina, a movie about Nina Simone and I thought it was interesting but lacking. I hadn't heard anything about it before so I searched for reviews after and there's a huge controversy about the movie, with Simone's daughter practically saying it's trash. Fascinating stuff.
                              sigpic

Comment

• Everybody Wants Some is free on Hulu and Amazon Prime and it gave me a much deeper appreciation for Glen Powell and Glen Powell's Texasness. Typical Richard Linklater movie where there's no real plot, but everyone takes part in vignettes that make you feel like you now totally know what it would have been like to have been part of the UT Austin baseball team in 1980. It's not really a sportsball movie? I mean it is kinda a sportsball movie, but it's more a movie about what that first weekend of college freedom was like.

I did not know how likaeable Blake Jenner could be. Tyler Hoechlin in teensy shorts, y'all. And Glen's character Finnegan is something else.

Reminded me of how much I enjoyed Dazed And Confused and Slackers back in the day. And Zoey Deutch! So much like her mama Lea Thompson that it added to the feeling that the movie was actually made in the 80s.

Comment

Working...
                                X