No announcement yet.

Rentals, Recs & Rages

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I loved Everybody Wants Some! So Linklater-y! and yes, a star-marking performance by Glen.

This oral history of the film's production is great, and shows how close the boys became, and how much they brought to their characters. Warning: serious bro-ing:
    http://www.gq.com/story/everybody-wa...ast-interviews

Comment

• Yeah, I have weird affection for the Texas bro-esthetic.*

* I dated my fair share of bros during the four years I lived down there. No regrets!

That GQ piece was very nice . . . and!

Glen Powell: [Rick] kept coming up to me during the course of the camp: “Are you getting along with everybody? Is there anybody you don’t like? Is there anybody that you think is going to be a problem?” And I was like, “Naw, dude, everything’s great.” I found out on Dazed and Confused that there was really, really clique-y, mean set. And he was like: “I’m not doing that shit again. You all have to get along. Even if onscreen you guys are all talking shit to each other and even if there are rivalries that exist, you all love each other." And it’s a bro-mantic film through and through.

. . . I so want to know WHO. Affleck? McConauhayhay? Jeremy London? Milla Jovovich???

Comment

• Jeremy London was universally hated by everyone on everything he ever worked on, I thought?
        6 YEAR COMMITMENT TO THE PAIN OF SHIPPING DE. I DONT COMMIT TO MY OWN LIFE AS MUCH DO YOU UNDERSTAND

Comment

• I really loved Lion. Such an amazing and heartbreaking movie, but also kind of hopeful too.
          sigpic

Comment

• Pro-tip: if you are having a kind-of melancholy mood on a rainy day and you're alone in your house, don't watch Manchester by-the-sea. I feel like I may never be happy again.

MW was wonderful in the movie; I found my general hate for Casey Affleck distracting, and the music was often wrong, but that was a well-constructed movie.

Comment

• No surprise here, but Wonder Woman blew my damn mind. It was fucking powerful watching a woman kick ass for two straight hours without the camera ogling her bod or her character clearly written as "dude with boobs." During some of the fight scenes I was like, "Huh. I didn't know I've been waiting my whole gd life for this feeling."

Comment

• OMG WONDER WOMAN WAS EVERYTHING FOREVER.

I can't even talk about how perfect and powerful it was.
                6 YEAR COMMITMENT TO THE PAIN OF SHIPPING DE. I DONT COMMIT TO MY OWN LIFE AS MUCH DO YOU UNDERSTAND

Comment

• And it was a DC MOVIE! What is this world?

Comment

• I loved her and so much of it and I am totally wound up after seeing it, but I did not love the ending where just because she kills Ares we're hugging the evil chemical bomb making Germans?

But the Diana/Bruce shipper in me was thrilled.

Comment

• I guess I'll be the lone voice of dissent and say that I thought it was a'ight? I loved the set up and I thought Gal and Pine had good chemistry and I was super into it whenever she got to kick ass, but the ending felt kinda hokey to me too. I just didn't buy that she was so super in love with him yet so her raging out over losing him just seemed cheesy. But I am bummed that their story doesn't get any more development because I'd prefer seeing them together over having to watch her with BAffleck or boring Cavill.

Comment

• Weirdo.

Comment

• I'm very okay with him loving her more. The world of men doesn't deserve her, yo!

Comment

• I finally got a whole night to myself after the dudes went to bed and watched Miss Sloane. Chastain is AMAZING in it, but she's got a few options for Oscar submission so I think this one will end up getting lost in the shuffle. She's usually great, but she seems to be best when she has to play tough exterior/messy interior characters so this role seems like it was written for her. The movie itself was well done, a bit heavy handed, but all of the performances were impressive. It's a little bit House of Cards + HRC's battle with the patriarchy and I am always here for good movies about government shenanigans. Gugu Mbatha Raw was awesome in it too and I keep waiting for her to have a huge moment because she's been fantastic in everything I've seen her in. Anyway, if y'all have Amazon Prime, it's free right now and I definitely rec it.

Comment

Working...
                            X