Lifetime Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifetime Movies

Can we discuss the badness/awesomeness that was FitA?

Or next week's Lizzie Borden Took an Axe? I can't wait.
    "But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.---Kanye

How is this the first time we've had a Lifetime Movies thread? Perfect.
    Its just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

FitA freaking WENT THERE. Even more than the actual book, if teenage memory serves.

I am curious if they'll keep Kiernan on for PitW since she's a little young. Heather Graham seemed honestly surprised to be there.
      "But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.---Kanye

Comment

They glazed over the fact that he raped her. And they did have them sharing kisses more than in the book. In the book, Cathy knew it was wrong (though she DID want him, too).

I think they needed to show she wanted him so they didn't bother with the rape and amped up the kissing because they couldn't show them being naked around each other. Like when she's in the bathtub? In the book she's naked in the bathtub. And when he sees her in her bra? In the book she's naked. And it's a way more sexual tension moment that Grandmother catches them in.
        Its just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

Oh, V.C. This is just beyond good writing THIS IS NEXT LEVEL STUFF.

http://emilysidhe.tumblr.com/post/73...ave-to-read-to

From Chapter 1: Goodbye, Daddy - a policeman describes Chris Sr’s fatal car accident

"We’ve already questioned the motorists who witnessed the accident, and it wasn’t your husband’s fault, Mrs. Dollanganger," that voice continued on, without emotion. "According to the accounts, which we’ve recorded, there was a motorist driving a blue Ford weaving in and out of the lefthand lane, apparently drunk, and he crashed head-on into your husband’s car. But it seems your husband must have seen the accident coming, for he swerved to avoid a head-on collision, but a piece of machinery had fallen from another car, or truck, and this kept him from completing his correct defensive driving maneuver, which would have saved his life.But as it was, your husband’s much heavier car turned over several times, and still he might have survived, but an oncoming truck, unable to stop, crashed into his car, and again the Cadillac spun over…and then…it caught on fire."

Ellipses in the original. My thoughts after the cut:

I have so many questions. What was that piece of machinery doing on the road and why wasn’t it removed earlier? What made the police officer think that this was an appropriate way to break the news of her husband’s death to a young wife surrounded by her four children and all their neighbors at what obviously should have been the late husband’s birthday party? How much better would a simple “The accident was not his fault, he was hit by a drunk driver and the car spun out of control. We did all we could.” have been? And why did his death have to be so ridiculously complicated? Does everything in a Gothic work, even something as sudden as a car accident, need to be portrayed as a gradual descent from order into chaos as circumstances and coincidences build and build, ending in fire? These are the questions that I have right now.

Comment

I have to say that the first third of the book is a slog--she's fucking awful at dialogue. It's all laughable! But when the grandmother delivers The Rules and then, in the second half when the dialog basically falls away? She hits a stride that is just so dark and twisted but snappy and quick that it's just fun to read.

Comment

They glazed over the fact that he raped her.
              Wasn't there also blood drinking they left off? I think I read all of the Dollanganger books except for the last one, and I remember somebody feeding the twins blood. Of her other books, I read Sweet Audrina and just the first Casteel book (Heaven).

I went through the wiki plot descriptions for every one of the VC Andrews books yesterday, and really it's just a series of terrible and ludicrous events that string episodes of rape, incest and secret pregnancies together. Usually all three combined. I think it was noted that only Sweet Audrina didn't have a plot that hinged upon incestual relations . . . but it's plot *did* hinge upon a traumatic gang rape. Such odd things to deliberately choose to build your career on! ("Oh, hey, yeah I'm the rape and incest author. Nice to meet you!")

Comment

I think her books speak to the dangerous generally unsupervised world many children inhabited at the time the books were popular.

And, yes, in the books, the children are starved for quite a long time and I believe Christopher has the idea to feed the twins some of his own blood for some reason related to nutrients? I don't remember all the details but I remember that, coupled with Cory's death really pushes Cathy's obsession with getting revenge against her mother and grandmother. And the poisoning begins immediately after they are starved, which is one of the reasons they so eagerly gobble up the donuts.

To be honest, they had it a little too good in the movie! Like it seemed they'd just be grateful to get away from the home and their grandmother.

Remembering Cathy's revenge reminds me that Emily is a Revenge piker. Cathy whips her post-stroke/immobilized grandmother until bloody and has a total freak out breakdown at the house as an adult. She fucks her mom's husband and drives her mother crazy.

Emily should read Petals on the Wind!

Comment

I wonder if they'll do the full set of five? The one from the grandmother's POV was especially screwed up. Corrine and Chris were really half-siblings! From his death scene, I remember that the trunk opens and everything from his suitcase is all over the road.

Her characters never seemed to live past their 40s/50s. And Cathy's death? Still nonsensical.

Comment

What is so nonsensical about DYING OF A BROKEN HEART???

We should all be so lucky to clock out at 50 for that reason.

Comment

OMG. I completely forgot how they died!

JUST LIKE DAD.

And, this is going to sound insane, but I remember when the fourth book came out--I was 12--and I sobbed like my own boyfriend-brother had died when Chris died. I mean, I was INCONSOLABLE. I always found him more sympathetic than Cathy, weirdly enough. He was just sooooo damaged and incapable of being anywhere but that damn attic. And Cathy went out and fell in love a bunch of times and had a big career and got revenge and had a sociopathic child who became a televangelist!

But Chris? He became a doctor and was successful in his way but it was all Cathy all the time for him. And she kept him on a pretty short leash even as she married other people.
                      Last edited by isadora; 01-22-2014, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Oh, I totally remember Chris being my favorite, too. Cathy was just so hard to like there for a long time.

Comment

See I felt like Chris held Cathy back! She wanted to break free and she never felt like she truly could because there he was, waiting for her.

Julian's death freaked me out and scared me for IV lines for a long time!

Comment

I was totes on board the Lizzie Borden crazytrain all the way through. From what I can recall of the actual deets, it looked like they kept pretty close to historical fact, yeah?

I know some were turned off by Ricci's performance but I thought she struck the right tone. There *should* be a falsity to Lizzie, because she was most likely a sociopath.

I did keep waiting for lesbian overtones which never came (but hey, they did make room for incest overtones!). They went with the 'Lizzie and the strange guy in the garden were lovers' angle instead of the 'Lizzie's stepmom and dad suspected Lizzie and the maid were lovers' angle, which was an interesting choice.

Emma didn't leave Maplecroft the way they showed in the movie, she most likely left because Lizzie moved Nance into their house, and Nance was a known lesbian/bi-sexual actress and Lizzie was supposedly in love with her . . . and Emma obviously didn't like that.

But! The way they did it with Lizzie's confession montage and Emma's dawning horror was cinematically quite good.
                            Last edited by ophy; 01-27-2014, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Ha I just watched this today. I was surprised that they left no ambiguity to it; they flat out said she did it.

They also left out the part about the broken axe handle. I liked Ricci's performance a lot. It's hard to believe she's all grown up.

Comment

Working...
                              X