Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NeoMaxy
    replied
    Isadora! Petals on the Wind starts on Memorial Day. There was a preview during True Tori(shaddup!)

No Kiernan and they recast Christopher also.

Leave a comment:

• isadora
    replied
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

Thank you for the links, bb.

Leave a comment:

• gloopdygleep
    replied
    Sequel to Flowers In the Attic is in the works: Petals In the Wind

Still haven't watched FItA tbh.

And more about it from The Wrap: http://www.thewrap.com/lifetime-flow...ls-on-the-wind

Entertainment Weekly's is excited about the sequel: http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/01/11/li...-attic-sequel/
    Last edited by gloopdygleep; 02-18-2014, 09:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• isadora
    replied
    I finally got to finish Lizzie Borden tonight and I liked it! Ricci was fabulously crazy!

Leave a comment:

• vanessa
    replied
    I have not reread the FitA books or watched the movie, but it's amazing how much detail I remember as you all have this discussion. I felt so sorry for Chris all the way through, and was always in sympathy with Cathy. She only fell in love with those other peeps because she was repressing her true love for Chris.

Leave a comment:

• LaaLaa
    replied
    Bah. Lizzie didn't record for me! I have to wait for a rerun.

But I finally got to watch FitA last night. I'm so late to the game, as always.

* Swan bed. Blow at least half the budget on that!
    * The Hunger Games electrical fence? LOLOL.
    * They definitely glossed over the fact that they'd rather let the kiddos starve for a week than cut Cathy's hair.
    * I KNEW Lifetime wouldn't show the blood stuff.
    * They did a crap job of showing these kids aging/not aging.
    * Burstyn's face when they give her the Christmas poster-thing! Wow. Amazing.

Leave a comment:

• ophy
    replied
    I actually enjoyed Lizzie Borden more than FITA (blasphemer!), but both of them were sort of straight forward adaptations without a lot of spice. There was something about LB that appealed to me aesthetically more, though.

Leave a comment:

• NeoMaxy
    replied
    Ha I just watched this today. I was surprised that they left no ambiguity to it; they flat out said she did it.

They also left out the part about the broken axe handle. I liked Ricci's performance a lot. It's hard to believe she's all grown up.

Leave a comment:

• ophy
    replied
    I was totes on board the Lizzie Borden crazytrain all the way through. From what I can recall of the actual deets, it looked like they kept pretty close to historical fact, yeah?

I know some were turned off by Ricci's performance but I thought she struck the right tone. There *should* be a falsity to Lizzie, because she was most likely a sociopath.

I did keep waiting for lesbian overtones which never came (but hey, they did make room for incest overtones!). They went with the 'Lizzie and the strange guy in the garden were lovers' angle instead of the 'Lizzie's stepmom and dad suspected Lizzie and the maid were lovers' angle, which was an interesting choice.

Emma didn't leave Maplecroft the way they showed in the movie, she most likely left because Lizzie moved Nance into their house, and Nance was a known lesbian/bi-sexual actress and Lizzie was supposedly in love with her . . . and Emma obviously didn't like that.

But! The way they did it with Lizzie's confession montage and Emma's dawning horror was cinematically quite good.
    Last edited by ophy; 01-27-2014, 05:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• NeoMaxy
    replied
    See I felt like Chris held Cathy back! She wanted to break free and she never felt like she truly could because there he was, waiting for her.

Julian's death freaked me out and scared me for IV lines for a long time!

Leave a comment:

• ophy
    replied
    Oh, I totally remember Chris being my favorite, too. Cathy was just so hard to like there for a long time.

Leave a comment:

• isadora
    replied
    OMG. I completely forgot how they died!

JUST LIKE DAD.

And, this is going to sound insane, but I remember when the fourth book came out--I was 12--and I sobbed like my own boyfriend-brother had died when Chris died. I mean, I was INCONSOLABLE. I always found him more sympathetic than Cathy, weirdly enough. He was just sooooo damaged and incapable of being anywhere but that damn attic. And Cathy went out and fell in love a bunch of times and had a big career and got revenge and had a sociopathic child who became a televangelist!

But Chris? He became a doctor and was successful in his way but it was all Cathy all the time for him. And she kept him on a pretty short leash even as she married other people.
    Last edited by isadora; 01-22-2014, 12:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ophy
    replied
    What is so nonsensical about DYING OF A BROKEN HEART???

We should all be so lucky to clock out at 50 for that reason.

Leave a comment:

• NeoMaxy
    replied
    I wonder if they'll do the full set of five? The one from the grandmother's POV was especially screwed up. Corrine and Chris were really half-siblings! From his death scene, I remember that the trunk opens and everything from his suitcase is all over the road.

Her characters never seemed to live past their 40s/50s. And Cathy's death? Still nonsensical.

Leave a comment:

• isadora
    replied
    I think her books speak to the dangerous generally unsupervised world many children inhabited at the time the books were popular.

And, yes, in the books, the children are starved for quite a long time and I believe Christopher has the idea to feed the twins some of his own blood for some reason related to nutrients? I don't remember all the details but I remember that, coupled with Cory's death really pushes Cathy's obsession with getting revenge against her mother and grandmother. And the poisoning begins immediately after they are starved, which is one of the reasons they so eagerly gobble up the donuts.

To be honest, they had it a little too good in the movie! Like it seemed they'd just be grateful to get away from the home and their grandmother.

Remembering Cathy's revenge reminds me that Emily is a Revenge piker. Cathy whips her post-stroke/immobilized grandmother until bloody and has a total freak out breakdown at the house as an adult. She fucks her mom's husband and drives her mother crazy.

Emily should read Petals on the Wind!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X