What are you streaming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are you streaming?

There's this new kid named Baby Yoda and he's taking the world by storm.

If I could have given birth to a baby Yoda, I woulda had kids.

The Mandalorian? I recommend! I would watch 500 episodes of Baby Yoda just hanging out.

I'm also gonna throw in a rec for The Watchmen even though I think the first two episodes are nuts and I sorta hated them. Heh. Every episode since those two have been stronger and stronger and, just from a media studies nerd perspective, I don't think I've ever seen a show have such a diverse cast that doesn't ignore the race of the characters (meaning Regina King is dealing with problems unique to her place in the world and her being a black woman is a very important piece of those problems). It has maybe the first hour of fictional/serialized TV I've ever seen dealing with the intergenerational trauma of racism in America? It's grappling with Some Real Shit. Also of note: Jean Smart -- the "dumb" one who was not super pretty on Designing Women -- is AMAZING in this show. Her performance just burns up the screen. What a revelation. KUDOS to whoever gave her the chance to burn it down. And did I mention the most compelling woman on the show is over 60? There's no hot white chick that exists just to bait us into grittier stories!

The only thing that doesn't make a lick of sense to me is Jeremy Irons' subplot, but it's Jeremy Fucking Irons and he's always amazing.

Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

I’ve only watched the first half of the first ep of Watchmen, so thanks for letting me know it’s worth keeping on the DVR! Jean Smart was the shit on Legion.

We still have cable. I can’t believe we still have cable.

Comment

Oh, girl. I still have cable but a very small package. AND FRANKLY I MISS CABLE. I miss everything on the tv all in place without having to mine through apps and suggestions and 7 different platforms to find the cool shit.

I just want EVERYTHING on cable and my TiVo to manage it for me. I DETEST all these apps.
      Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

I'm waiting for the backlash against all these streaming apps to cause someone to come up with a pick and choose app that gives you a certain number of shows from all the apps for a set price. We currently use 5 (Netflix, Prime, Hulu, Apple TV, and Disney). We prob wouldn't have gotten Disney if we didn't have kids because neither of us really feel that nostalgic about their content and I was the only one who really wanted to watch The Morning Show so I got the Apple app. It's not even compatible with our TVs since they're all Samsung and are older than a year. Mr. Issie tried this mirror app on my phone and iPad, but I can't get it to work without it freezing. BLAH, consolidate it all for me, TV bosses!

Anyway, I watched Mrs. Maisel S3 and I thought it was weaker than the first 2 seasons. There's not as much interaction between Midge and her family since she's out on the road a lot and I missed that part of the show. Rachel Brosnahan and Alex Borstein did press together and were asked if they thought Midge was a good mother. They were both a little bit defensive about it, but I think it would have been more refreshing if one of them admitted that Midge is a pretty sucky mom who seems largely disinterested in her children, but that something like that may have been the result of living in an era when women were pressured to start families at young ages rather than waiting to see if it was something they even wanted. At the end when Midge cries about not getting to tour with Shy, I told Mr. Issie that she was probs partly bummed about having to go take care of her kids.

Comment

I feel like I am so far behind on my streaming since I spent so much of my TV time on comfort food old Star Treks. I just finished S3 of Atypical, which I love with reservations. There is so much that is good, but I feel Ike they have moved Sam into sociability way too fast. He is more socially adept than many people I know who are not autistic (probably including me). I am also pissed that his girlfriend Paige had to fail hard at college just so she could move back to be with him. I am waiting for Izzie to give up on going to UCLA just so she can hang out with her brother.

Currently on S3 of The Crown where I am still a Lilibet/Porchey shipper. There was a super heartbreaking episode relating the time 116 Welsh children died in a coal avalanche, but there’s also been a lot of boring politics. There was a whole thing about how the Queen can’t cry and how she just likes breeding horses and she’s so not naturally sociable and so do we actually think the Queen is non-neurotypical?

Comment

I just binged Cheer on Netflix and it was amazing. It's about the best competitive cheer leading team in the country and they are from some podunk town junior college that's like an hour south of Dallas. They've won 11 national championships at the only cheer competition that happens every year for college cheerleaders, they are straight up worshiped in the cheer community, their coach is like if Coach Taylor and Tami Taylor became one human being (that's from Twitter, not me, but it's 100% truuuuuuue), and their backgrounds are sad/fascinating.

One of y'all get on this so I can talk about it with you and then post cheer gifs!

Oh! And I've started insta browsing all the kids and I need to know why Sherbs and Morgan don't follow each other even though they both follow everyone else! There is DRAMA there, I FEEL it.

Comment

That sounds right in line with what I need right now. After The Crown, I am on it.

Comment

Well then Season 6 of Grace and Frankie cropped, and I really really need thone girls.

Comment

I didn't even know G&F was coming out yet so I was so excited to see it pop up! We had a busy weekend with family in town so I haven't gotten to watch it yet, but I'm gonna start tonight.

Comment

Meanwhile I am 4.5 episodes into Cheer. I love it, though they are clearly hiding some drama. I mean, there is no way some of these kids aren’t having sex with each other, and yet, not a whiff of that.

I am simultaneously happy they didn’t make Monica into a bitch queen just because she is in charge and competent, but on the other hand I believe she is probably pretty evil.

I hate that they play with Jerry’s feelings all the time by saying “you’re no the mat” and then “oh no, that was just to inspire someone else to not be an ass”. Because Jerry is the best.

I love Lexi and her total and complete badassness at the sport. “She’s a boy tumbler” <3333

Gabi’s parents are cartoon evil.

The fact that the two big schools for this are 40 minutes away from each other is so very Texas.

All of these kids with the tragic pasts are killing me. Poor Morgan!

Comment

The fact that the two big schools for this are 40 minutes away from each other is so very Texas.
                      It's the most Texas thing ever and I love it.

My insta stalking has not uncovered any more info about why Sherbs and Morgan don't follow each other anymore. There was a point where Morgan was calling Sherbs and Gabi her besties, but then that stopped and they haven't hung out in forever. Gabi and Sherbs are still best friends and Gabi comments regularly on Morgan's posts telling her that she loves her and that she's amazing so whatever happened between M&S, Gabi has managed to stay out of it. Morgan is back at Navarro for year 3 although I'm not really sure why? She said on the show that she thought it would be good for her so maybe she just wanted one more year with her Mama Monica. Sherbs is cheering at Texas Tech now so if they do another season, she probs won't be in it. Overall, Morgan seems much happier these days! She's got a boyfriend who plays minor league baseball and who obvs ADORES her and they are unicorns and hearts level adorable.

Jerry is also back at Navarro and again I'm not sure how that works. He got into Louisville and was cheering for them so it seems like a step back to go to junior college again, but who knows? Maybe he's doing what Kapena was doing and is like a student coach or something.

I'm fascinated by Lexi. Her raving, her vaping, her tumbling, her HAIR. I love that every time she talks it's like the words are being fed into her brain in real time and she needs an extra second to process them before they can come out of her mouth I need to know if she has figured out which sounds are made by certain instruments. I'm pretty sure she just broke up with her little raver boyfriend because she scrubbed her insta of all of their pictures. He had a huge following too although I'm not really sure what for.

Another thing that I love is that Chrissy Teigen is OBSESSED with this show like I am and it makes me laugh every time I go to one of kids' SMs to see that she already follows them.

Comment

love that every time she talks it's like the words are being fed into her brain in real time and she needs an extra second to process them before they can come out of her mouth
                        Perfect description of her! I love Lexi so much.

Jerry going back makes me super sad. Morgan going back is also not a great idea, but I can support it since she gets so much Monica love.

Comment

I am trying Outlander. It’s kind of slow and I don’t know if I like it at all yet, but the accents are soothing to me. It was either this or Expanse; maybe I’ll try that next or if this annoys me.

Comment

I didn't care for either of those. I bowed out within 3 episodes of both.

Comment

I started the new season of Sex Education and it's pretty good so far. I still care about Maeve the most so I hope she gets integrated back in with the rest of the cast of kids, although I can how bringing her mom into the story helps flesh out her character more. Otis has always been a little meh to me so his slow slide into a mansplainer is annoying. He always had strong potential to turn into a sanctimonious whiner, but hopefully they'll figure out a way to keep him from going full Dawson Leery. I def will NOT want him with Maeve if that happens. Also, I didn't expect to care much about Amy, but she's been great this season.

Comment

Working...
                              X