No announcement yet.

What are you streaming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OMG, it is so good! I stayed up until 2 to finish it last night and just felt all my feelings so HARD. I hated that it was over and I just wanted to spend the rest of time with those two idiots, watching them fuck up trying to love each other. The chemistry between the two actors is bursting flames and it really helped that I don't know anything about either of them because then they just are Connell and Marianne to me. There's only 12 episodes that are around 30 min each so you don't spend much time with The World's Worst Brother or Marianne's douche canoe boyfriends who are not Connell, the sometimes douche canoe. It's honestly my favorite thing I've watched for as long as I can remember. Like if you still have that part of your personality that remembers longing over a boy in high school only to have him break your heart, this show basically does a manic click on that specific area and then you're crying and you don't quite know why. But it doesn't feel manipulative. It feels really nostalgic and the longing and angst you're feeling is legit all yours instead of being manufactured, if that makes any sense.

Also, they are not shy about throwing in sex scenes so make sure your kids aren't around if you care about them seeing naked times.

Comment

Ooh, I’m excited to maybe ship anything again.

Comment

OMG NORMAL PEOPLE IS LEGIT! You gonna love it, Laa!

Everything Issie said and then some! It's ALLLL about the youthful longing and bad choices and insanely hot sexy times, and I AM HERE FOR IT.

I'm only 5 episodes in and the last episode ends with a FIVE MINUTE explicit sex scene (to end a 25-minute-long episode! LOL). It's delicious. It's just what this quarantine ordered! It's ALL FIRST LOVE ANGST and smackity and longing looks and got me up IN MAH FEELS. And the accents! And Connell is hot but not too hot.

10/10, would recommend, will def rewatch.

Also, like why the fuck does everyone keep telling me Ozark is so great? I'm almost done with season one and it's soooo predictable and nobody is that hot (Jason Bateman is cute but not the kind of dirty hot that makes it interest and not the kind of intense that Bryan Cranston was in Breaking Bad. And Laura Linney is really only great in long-suffering roles. And the only people I like are the white trash kids but they're also sooo predictable.
        Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

Ok, I am still thinking about Normal People almost a week later. I read the book over the weekend and liked it just ok, weirdly. It felt really flat compared to the show although I did like the added insight into what Connell and Marianne were thinking during specific scenes. The book necessarily only presents one perspective at a time which made it less interesting to me. It made for a better experience to be able to see how they interact and react to each other. Like when he tells her about inviting Rachel to the Debs, that didn't come across as very emotional in the reading, but it was a fucking gut punch on the show! Also, I can't imagine why would anyone would be super heartbroken by the ending. Uh, these two dummies are 22! They're gonna be fucking and fucking with each other for the next 8 years MINIMUM, at which point they'll either take their relationship seriously or decide that they've both outgrown it. No way they're gonna leave each other alone just because Connell goes to New York for a year.

Comment

RIGHT? They pine, fuck and fight in every.episode and they're basically addicted to each other. Unless he never comes back from NYC, they are gonna go on like this for years until the settle into super boring norm-core life or one of them just outgrows the cycle.

I did read that it seems there's no real quick plans for a season two tho.

I thought the performances were SO GOOD. Some of the sex stuff in the second half was a little silly to me (oh, noes, her unpleasant boyfriend likes to do it on all fours and pull her hair! He must be evil!; and somehow that morphs into full BDSM or something? IDEK. I mean, I can see how being terrible depressed and having no self-esteem can lead to really bad relationship choices, some of it was a wee silly). but I also just watched the first season of Ozark and kinda rolled my eyes at the fact that everybody on TV acts like doing it in any other position than facing and romantically kissing the whole time is like a scandal or real edgelord shit? LOL OK, adult married people on Ozark! No wonder she cheated.

In other news, HBOMax is rebooting Gossip Girl with the showrunner who gave me DAIR (SO CONFLICTED as my grudge never dies).
            Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

It totally doesn't need a S2, but I'd obvs be there to binge on day 1 if they decided to make it. The director did an interview where he said he'd like to time jump about 10 years into the future to see where they are at that point and if they did that, I think it'd be necessary to keep Connell in New York for the years in between. Otherwise you basically get that last bit of Gilmore Girls where Luke and Lorelai have been together for a DECADE and just like never thought about or talked about getting married that whole time and all of a sudden, it's an issue. I'd like to see them five years ahead with Connell getting ready to release his first book or something and he comes back to Dublin for the first time since leaving.

They pine, fuck and fight in every.episode and they're basically addicted to each other.
              YES! When Marianne tells him to go to New York, I totes felt like she was annoyed/bored at being TOO happy and wanted him to leave so that she could go back to being lonely and depressed and have him to blame for it while still being able to obsess over him the whole time they were apart. She was all, "Go and miss me and have have occasional panic attacks, you'll be fiiiiiine, like eventually."

Comment

Yes!! Marianne is addicted to the drama above all else.

Comment

I just finished Dead To Me S2 and I still enjoyed it, it's not as good as S1. Maybe it's hard to maintain the suspension of disbelief for shows that are always throwing cliffhangers at you and it's probably even tougher when you're binging them. It's basically Desperate Housewives now. Applegate and Cardelini are still awesome in it, though, and while what they did with James Marsden was pretty eye rolly, he was good in it too.

Comment

i started The Great on Hulu about the rise of Catherine the Great. It's definitely a loose retelling, but it's very enjoyable so far. Elle Fanning is perfect in this. It's still a little hard for me to see her as anything but a kid so having her in this coming of age story was a great decision. Also Nicholas Hoult plays a great dumb asshole. He basically turns Alexander into a younger Trump.

Comment

The Great is on my list!

Never Have I Ever is adorbs and just what I needed. Devi is a damn DELIGHT, Paxton is like a part-Asian Jake Ryan-Matty McKibbon hybrid (and way old for high school, but I’ll allow it), and Ben is a little Zachary Levi-John Krasinski bb. It’s filling my 80s-style nerd arc void left by Awkward’s first couple seasons.

Comment

The Great ended too abruptly for me! They spent way too much time making Hoult into a big villain who needed his comeuppance SHOWN. It felt super deflating not to see him get his throat slit at the end, considering all of the careless violence he either performs or orders throughout the show. That was basically my only complaint. Oh, and Catherine's whiny lover was completely dispensable to me. No one cares about your peasant feelings, bb. Also, the scene where Catherine and Mariel talk about how they had decent days because they both managed to avoid rape is still TOO RELEVANT, OMG.

I super enjoyed Never Have I Ever! But not so much because I thought Devi was so delightful. I actually thought she was often an insufferable brat who was bad at being both a daughter and a friend. But that seemed realistic considering her age and circumstances so I maybe liked her more because she wasn't perfect.

I started Sweet Magnolias last night and it's cute enough. If it was a weekly show vs. a bingeable streaming one, I'd never bother to tune in, but having it on in the background while playing Words With Friends and answering emails is perfect. It's pretty much like Hart of Dixie except there's no big city outsider character. And HOLY JEEZ, CK1 is in it and he has a Beekian Southern accent and his acting is still so so so so bad.

Finally, the Ben Platt Radio City Music Hall concert is 100% self-care. He is so talented and an absolute joy and I just want him to host a quarantine virtual singalong every week kinda like D-Nice but for nerds.

Comment

Becoming made me cry - the horrible coming down from that amazing family to the Trumps is just too much. Michelle is so smart and so kind and such a strong person and the contrast with Melanie is so painful.

There wasn’t a lot to it, but it was so good to see the Obamas again.

Comment

Posting after myself to recommend Mrs America on Hulu - Cate Blanchett as Phyllis Schlafly is brilliant, and I am geeking the hell out watching Gloria, Betty, Bela, et al. Tracey Ullman as Betty Freidan! It's fantastic and also heartbreaking because I know how it will go. I love what they have done with Schlafly - she is not portrayed as a nutjob, but you can see how all the men in her life condescend to her, and yet she is still anti-feminist. So much internalized misogyny there.

Comment

I wanted more Sasha and Malia BTS footage on Becoming, but yeah, watching it felt sadly nostalgic. I watched the Epstein miniseries and am still not convinced he committed suicide. He had too much information on too many powerful people and was so arrogant and unapologetic that I just don't see how he wouldn't have tried to weasel his way out of jail again. I didn't know that when he was first imprisoned for soliciting prostitution, he had special privileges to work at home during the day every day. So like, he basically just had to spend the nights in prison and then he'd go back to his house in the morning where he could hang out for 12 hours every day and where he KEPT. RIGHT ON. FUCKING. TEENAGERS.

Comment

Dead to Me S2 - I enjoy Applegate and Cardellini but meh. It was pretty repetitive and I just want them to stop doing stupid things. That said, I <3 Detective Ana and could watch a show that is just about her, and it is great to see Natalie Morales because Middleman 4eva!

Comment

Working...
                                X