No announcement yet.

What are you streaming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The duke's whole issue is SO romance novel though! I think if trashy romances are your thing in general, then this is necessary viewing, but if they're not, this is probs a skip. There's nothing especially creative about the story telling and it has an HEA like you'd expect. If you're in the mood for lush, beautiful scenery, old timey posh British people being unnecessarily proper, and watching hot people make out, then this is for you!

Eloise is my fav too, but apparently, Shonda and team took a lot of liberties with the characterizations? A lot of people who are super fans of the books are mad that the characters are way different (to the point of being unrecognizable) than the ones they'd grown to love over the years. Daphne and Anthony seem to be the ones they're most upset about. I think I read The Duke and I awhile back, but don't remember anything about it so I'll have to do a reread.

Comment

• The duke's whole issue is SO romance novel though! I think if trashy romances are your thing in general,

Oh, you are right, this particular brand of angst is very Of It's Genre for sure. I grew up reading Regencies, but always preferred the ones closer to Austen or Heyer. Lighter, rompier, more societal farce, less tortured nonsense. And my grandma used to rip the sex scenes out of books before she passed them to me, which did not bother me at all. Give me all the surreptitious hand touching in the world but anything randier and I yawn. Although I will say that the scene where the duke instructs Daphne in the park how to touch herself was pretty hawt. Credit where credit is due.

I've read some Julia Quinn (and I'm sure I read The Duke And I at some point back in the day) but she was never a fave of mine. I really wish they would adapt some of the lighter Heyers* like Cotillion or The Unknown Ajax, with the same casting sensibilities and costuming as Bridgerton now that would be lovely. There would be no Julia Quinn without Georgette Heyer. I don't know why tv/film has neglected her so much.

* they were written in the 30s and 40s so might need a bit of problematic datedness cleaned up first, but otherwise!

Comment

• Well, I'm buying what Bridgerton's selling hook, line and sinker. I love it! I actually think they depicted the Duke's angst quite well. His dad was trully an asshole! And all of the characters are quite likeable, even the awful Featherington mom, in a villain who's acts I can understand, kind of way. And I love well made sex scenes in books and shows so, this one has plenty for me!
        sigpic

Comment

• I finished it and it was fine! The HEA was good. I think I'm just extra grouchy about this show because I was really looking forward to it thinking the vibe was gonna be more like the latest Emma and it kinda was but kinda wasn't. Just not exactly what I wanted. But it was fine! My expectations just were too high. It did have several fun moments.

I super love Eloise but I'm very surprised that Benedict didn't turn out to be gay? That's certainly where it seemed they were leading with that storyline so when his big journey ended up in just banging the modiste like any random gentleman of the ton would feel free to do I was confuzzled. It would have been better if he was gay. I mean, with that many kids in the Bridgerton family, at least one or two should be. Statistically. It was kind of a fake out to me, but maybe Julia Quinn doesn't want them to stray quite that far from the book series with Benedict.

I assume they are going to do a S2 and I will definitely watch, but! the problem with adapting the next books is that the duke is excellently swoony and particularly well cast . . .

. . . and none of the Bridgerton brothers can match that at all. They feel like side characters. So it's a little harder to picture them as the leads in an interesting way, but they kinda have to be if they are going to follow the rest of the books, right?

Most likely they are just going to combine the next three books and do Anthony/Kate and Benedict/Sophie and Colin/Penelope altogether for S2 because none of those dudes can carry a whole series on their own . . . but I am very curious as to what they will do with Eloise.

It seems pretty obvious that they aren't going the book route for Eloise, because in the books she marries Sir Phillip Crane, but for some reason in the series they used that name for the guy that Marina marries. So either Eloise is going to be the gay Bridgerton (which would be GREAT and an even better choice than Benedict) or they are just going to conjure up some new guy*/storyline for her.

* guy or girl, that casting better be as good as Rege-Jean Page. I mean!

Comment

• . . . it's taken me this long to realize that Anthony is played by Jonathan Bailey from Phoebe Waller Bridge's Crashing. I love Crashing.

If they give him a more anachronistic haircut, it'll make him swoonier for S2!

Comment

• Benedict's story makes no sense. He wants to rebel so he sleeps with the modiste? What?

The guy that plays Anthony, though, is hot and now he has some reason to brood so I'll allow it.
              sigpic

Comment

• I enjoyed the Bee Gees doc and Class Action Park, both on HBOMax.

Bridgerton! Definitely not something I thought I cared about it until someone told me it was Gossip Girl in 1813 with explicit sex scenes and colorblind casting. I was like; WHAT. OK.

I thought it was a hoot, overall, even though I completely agree with Issie that even though the duke is too hot to exist (HOW IS HE EVEN A REAL PERSON), his reasons for being a rake are hilariously insane. Also, I just am not at the point in my life that I can truly root for a couple where the woman does all the emotional work in a relationship, even if he’s white hot and eats cat like a champ. Also, Daphne is insanely boring. zzzzz

The last couple of episodes were kinda dull because of that.

Overall, it was fun, light as air, and a good Xmas break indulgence. I don’t like period pieces at all, can’t stand to sit through upstairs/downstairs British people nonsense at all! I hate how everyone is so clean and perfect and fussy when the past is a disgusting place filled with racism and sexism and brutality. So, I loved the colorblind casting and the overall romance fantasy of it all (minus the rake needing so much talking to just to grow the hell up).

I also heard some of the characterizations are bonkers (particularly Penelope). And I did read a couple of summaries of future books and I’m guessing I’ll really like Anthony’s romance (which I think comes next). I also found him pretty hot despite being pretty annoying so I have hopes for that one.

Also, I love the Featherington mom and will defend her to the end. I think ruthless women are the only ones who make sense to me in 1813.

Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• Oh, I also watched the Perry Mason reboot on HBO, which was just relentless grim in the first half but oddly enjoyable in the second. If the next season keeps the vibe of the second half of the first season, it would be better.

I also watched the Harley Quinn cartoon on HBO Max and that was enjoyable even though I reallllly disklike HQ as a character. She's like what a comic book guy envisions a feminist being? LOL IDK. I don't like any version of her I've ever seen.

I am almost done with The Undoing, which is deeply stupid! But I only have one episode to go so I'll finish it. Heh.

Next up: Final season of Sabrina (the first two episodes were hilarious) and the new season of Cobra Kai.
                  Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• We finished The Flight Attendant and it picked up the pace, but I ended up being pretty meh on it overall. I think maybe I'm just not that into Kaley Cuoco?

I also enjoyed the Bee Gees doc! It made me sad to see Barry all by himself anymore wishing he could give up all the glory to have his brothers back. I started another HBO Max show called The Industry about 20 somethings starting their hedge fund careers at a competitive firm in London and so far I've only paid enough attention to know that you have to be sexually fluid, great at doing coke in bathrooms, and ruthless to even your friends in order to succeed in that world and it makes the entire Kushner family make total sense to me now.

I started a reread of The Duke and I and I can see why book loyalists are kinda pissed about the way Daphne comes off in the show. She's much less prissy and more down to earth in the books and she and Simon are better friends in the books too. Debating whether I want to read the whole series before additional seasons come out. I probs will since there's plenty of time and they're quick reads.

Comment

• I want to try the Flight Attendant. It seems fun.

I super late to the party, but we just started watching the Netflix OJ Simpson trial and oh, boy, I'm at a constant state of pissed off. Great series but when you think about that two people got brutally murdered and never got justice, it makes my blood boiled.
                      sigpic

Comment

• I have had A Week, so Bridgerton is exactly what I need - fun and pretty and not emotionally taxing. I love all of the women and can tolerate the men. I haven’t read any of these books (there are plural books, right?), so I have no objection to the characterizations. I like Daphne quite a lot as she is, and also Violet, Eloise, Penelope, and Lady Danbury.

Also, I love the Featherington mom and will defend her to the end.
                        Polly Walker was Atia of the Julii in Rome, which I adored. She’s the best.

I suspect I will forget everything about it in a month, but don’t care, it’s still fun.

Comment

• Is, I followed your lead and started Ted Lasso. We're 3 episodes in, and I so love it so far. Best moment? When we saw him baking the biscuits. I want to see if he'll do something with the amazing girl football player. Will she be on the team? Will she?
                          sigpic

Comment

• I am trying to work my way through Ted Lasso because it is delightful but oh I have no focus anymore. I do love it, though.

I also love this guy ha:

I'm guessing she drank enough tea to float a battleship during episode 6.

I don't think I'd even be able to show up to family reunions at all if my cousin looked like this:

Last edited by ophy; 01-14-2021, 11:25 AM.

Comment

• Bridgerton is the gift that just keeps giving.
                              sigpic

Comment

• The spoon licking is the dirtiest moment in the entire series.

Comment

Working...
                                X