No announcement yet.

Veronica Mars: Sassy Teen Detective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay, RT is so tragic itís starting to get kinda hilarious. Or am I just rage laughing?

Comment

• Yeah, at this point I think everybody's just treating it as a farce BECAUSE IT IS.

I am no longer sure that we aren't being PUNK'D right now, I dunno.

Comment

• I feel attacked.
        Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• I am dumbfounded that he says he did this great! Brave! Thing by killing Logan and then goes on to admit that there are not many shows with married detectives. So... he did the same thing that everyone else does? What?
          sigpic

Comment

• His responses make him sounds like a bore.

Veronica Mars has fought the 1% as an actual literal thing since 2004.

I honestly believed her self-righteous bullshit with both Weevil and Logan would end in a comeuppance but I guess sheís just Republican now, and believes Weevil is a dirtbag and Celeste Kane isnít part of the problem.

She clearly wouldn't have shown up for Weevil like he showed up for her. And even a year after her husbandís death, she wasnít willing to go to therapy but once despite having a psych degree from Harvard. Stanford. Whatever.
            Last edited by isadora; 07-27-2019, 01:58 PM.
            Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• Oh, hey! a playlist of all of the Logan and Veronica scenes from S4 on youtube so you can watch them without adding to Hulu's viewing numbers
              Thanks for that! I am now caught up on LoVe (sob) without having to watch the whole thing.

I have to say, given the insistence on NOIR by RT I thought the sets looked much LESS noir than the original series. The Mars Investigation office, for example, is lit very differently and is kind of blah as is Veronica's apartment set, compared to the original apartment complex. Also: is it me or is KB's affect really weird? I don't know if she decided to play Veronica differently now as a grown-up, or if she's forgotten how she played her before, but I am also rewatching Season 1, and her portrayal is really different. Less bitchy, more sassy/sweet, and with a different intonation in her voice?

I thought Dohring did really well in the difficult role of angry-but-desperate-to-settle-down Logan. The cabinet scene was great acting.

Comment

• You know who wasn't a fan of Charles Bronson movies? Me. (And I think a lot of women, actually...)
                sigpic

Comment

• I feel like Iím very close to joining medium and writing a long VMars essay that nobody will read but I think it boils down to boys vs girls and what trauma is and means in our lives.

I didn't realize how much I related to Veronica until I stopped relating to her! S4 Veronica is harder and a little meaner than S1 Veronica. That tracks, but it didnít end up being very fun to watch when you realize nothing in this season was structured to help the alleged heroine cope or grow. And RTís vision for the next season seems deeply implausible to me unless you were a completely casual viewer who doesnít remember everything sheís been through.

Its funny because I donít agree with a lot of the narrative on Twitter about the sexism in writing unhappy women. All fiction is about some conflict. I agree with RT that a happy relationship isnít an interesting plot point. But he also chose to write a perfect boyfriend fantasy version of Logan (presumably to please the lady viewersówhich Iíd say is actually sexist and a little dull) but that choice is on him. That said, it sure seemed like Veronica was a deeply unhappy person before her perfect husband got blown up, so Iím not sure what this does other than turn her into an angry loner in the wake of his death. And if thatís who she is now? Iíll pass.

I also keep thinking about how much more trauma women face on the daily than men do, and that is maybe why the male viewers (all over Twitter) are so casual about it all? They donít get what itís like to be raped when passed out cold. Does anyone on this board have the luxury of not having a single girl or woman in their personal orbit that hasnít been raped or assaulted or harassed?

Men donít get what itís like to identify with all the faces of the murdered girls on TV, and so they donít appreciate the ability to fantasize about being part of the solution instead of just another victim of another entertaining tragedy. Men donít feel physically imperiled all the time when alone or violently sexualized in every form of media they consume. So, to them, itís just a rad, dark ďnoirĒ story that subverts expectations. To me, it feels like one more way we lose.

somehow the keyboard on my phone took out every apostrophe! Oops.
                  Last edited by isadora; 07-27-2019, 02:00 PM.

Comment

• All the apostrophes disappear on this board - itís so annoying!

I went to a comedy show last night where this comedian (Daniel Sloss) spent the last 15 minutes talking about rape and how men like him have no freaking clue how much we are afraid of it, how pretty much all of us have had harassment or assault or a pressured-into-sex moment, and about a friend of his who raped another friend and how he missed that part of his personality but now has to admit he knew it was there. He is almost done with his US tour, but if they film this show and put it on Netflix like his others I highly recommend it.

Comment

• Guys, I finished the season last night and needed a safe space where people would be as upset as I am. I'm glad I was spoiled at least. I don't have that much to say except I wish RT would stop giving interviews and making me hate him. I'm so so easy to please. I actually always LIKED the mystery aspect of Veronica Mars. I enjoyed the S1 finale! I was into the retconning of Beaver being responsible for every bad thing that happened in Neptune! I was actually loving the season for the first half! I love a mystery, even a kind of poorly done mystery, but I'm also not contributing to Kickstarters, reading fic, and getting excited about revivals for mediocre mystery stories (sorry, excuse me, I mean "noir"). I've watched so many shows where they kill characters I love that I was almost willing to go with them killing off Logan, this is how easy I am. Rob's condescending tone towards fans and his vision of S5 as some kind of shitty procedural is a hard pass for me. I was already bummed about how underused some of the characters were this season (what was even the point of Wallace), but a season with none of the other characters and not even set in Neptune, get out of here. I guess I'll just go back to reading S1 fic and pretend this never happened.

Also, Leo introducing himself to Logan like they had never met before made me rage. It was so so weird that Rob would just forget they had met multiple times.

Comment

• It was so so weird that Rob would just forget they had met multiple times.

Dude, he even forgot Veronica had a psychology degree!

And yes, welcome to RageFest 2019, where it's all rage all the time because MEN (usually).

Rob just keeps on not shutting up:

https://deadline.com/2019/07/veronic...sh-1202655328/

ďMy hope is that we get to make more,Ē he told Deadline at TCA Friday. ďI think we will. Itís all been very positive with Hulu. I know they are happy with the critical response to the show, they are happy internally creatively with the show.Ē

Not only has the new season been a success but also the original three which Hulu launched ahead of the Season 4 debut, according to Thomas.
                        ďThey put up the first three seasons at the beginning of the month, and apparently they are doing great. It feels like we are going to get to do more but nothing is set in stone.Ē

. . .

ďKristen loves doing the show, I love doing the show whenever she and I both have a window,Ē Thomas said. ďWith The Good Place ending and with iZombie ending, it is going to be much easier I think to find a window to do it.Ē

. . .

Thomas address the backlash among some fans while also explaining why the death was needed to move the series forward and allow it to do more seasons.
                        ďIím very nervous I remain nervous; I know there is a lot of vitriol, a lot of fans who are upset, and I knew there would be,Ē Thomas said. ďBut Iíve heard from huge, massive fans who are completely happy and understand why Iím doing it.Ē

ďI really feel like itís going to be a better show that has a chance to attract new fans if we are not still telling the story of a high school boyfriend as he was introduced. I think we have to shed the teen soap element of the show in order to get to keep making more.Ē

"huge, massive DUDEBROS (WHO DON'T KNOW WHAT NOIR IS BUT JUST LIKE YELLING IT IN THE FACE OF ICKY GIRLS WHO LIKE ICKY GIRLY THINGS LIKE CHARACTER GROWTH AND EMOTIONAL CONNECTIONS AND MYSTERIES THAT ARE AT LEAST MARGINALLY WELL WRITTEN ) fans who are completely happy", there I fixed it for ya, Rob.

He sounds super confident that they are gonna get an S5, so . . . that's great. So glad he was able to ride that kickstarter success all the way into . . . whatever it is he thinks he is riding into.

Comment

• His endless noir chatter and sneering at the showís origins as a ďteenĒ thing ó(coupled with bad writing) ó has made me want to avoid any of his future shows.

Comment

• The S4 Logan in uniform scenes, ya know, if that is your thing:

https://youtu.be/LeDHjtN2lMk

Revisiting that did make me remember how lackluster and icky the red herring mysteries were in this season, though.

Comment

• I can't stop being mad about this season.

I was thinking about the moments that seemed "off" to me -- when you binge watch, you don't actually have time to parse the details like we used to, you know? So a few people on Twitter were railing about some things and I didn't agree with all of them but a couple seemed weird while I was watching and I don't remember pointing them out because I was just baffled by the ending.

-- I don't care if people do drugs or get drunk, but it was kinda weird that Veronica had three benders in eight episodes and only one advanced the real plot, as I recall. And it was just a red herring (her "friend" Nicole). I get that we're into Adult Veronica land and situations, but it did feel a little out of character. Veronica is a control freak of the highest order who was drugged (twice, right?) to unconsciousness and raped while drugged. Additionally, I've always seen Veronica as the kind of party guest who pretends to get drunk so she can actually get information out of the actually drunk people around her, even if it's just out of habit.

-- It was also nuts that she was high and shooting off her gun in an alley and let a woman she barely knows also shoot her gun for fun. And then she told Keith and he wasn't like: WTF WERE YOU DOING WITH YOUR GUN OUT AND SHOOTING ON THE STREET?

Veronica has always had a reckless streak -- she goes down the dark alley, she knocks on the door, she asks provocative questions of dangerous people -- but these things just seemed reckless in a way she's not. Her recklessness is always based on Solving the Thing, Taking Down the Bad Guy. So I totally bought she'd go to the cabin in the woods without a second thought. Lots of other "edgy" Veronica moves seemed to be in areas in which she's always exhibited an unusually high self-control.

Comment

• I was definitely struck by the benders, too! And Logan was on active duty and could be called up ANY SECOND and yet was doing drugs nuh uh.

They are still trotting Jason out to do press and he sounds so sad and yet he loves Kristen sooooo much and my dohrbell feels are all up in this one:

Comment

Working...
                                X