No announcement yet.

Veronica Mars: Sassy Teen Detective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, I don't get that either. This is something that we were NEVER going to get otherwise! That's why its taken a decade to get it. I think this is about the money to WB, but also shows that enough people CARE about the movie being made. It takes some of the risk out of it, knowing that people still want the movie badly enough to help out.

I love it. This feels like the fan campaign to end all fan campaigns. I love getting to be involved.

Comment

• I am fucking freaking out, you guys. I can't even let myself type enthusiastically or I will just become an atomic bomb of exclamation points.

Comment

• I am PEEING MY PANTS! They are at $1.7 million!!

I gave $50 and have been squealing for 15 minutes.

Comment

• How many dollars would it take to get Logan and Veronica to make out for 90 minutes, anyway?

Comment

• Less than $200k to go!!!! DYING and refreshing my phone endlessly. Assume I am screaming in my car like a crazy person when it hits $2M.
            Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• I sent an email to my mom and sister about this, with more exclamation points than I usually feel comfortable using. I got an email back from my sister in less than 5 minutes that she had already donated. I seriously can't handle this! I am too too too excited.

Comment

• This person does not understand the meaning of joy. Or of how great it can be to belong to a fandom community: http://www.theatlanticwire.com/enter...isnt-it/63060/

In Veronica Mars's case, they're asking you to pay for what will ultimately be a studio movie. This is not some independent film, financed on credit cards and bake sales. Nor is this an investment that anyone who donates will ever see a return on; essentially you'll be a pro bono producer. There's even a joke in the campaign's introductory video about giving donors an associate producer credit, the joke being that the title is itself a joke. Aside from some assorted rewards that only get good in the really high donation brackets, the only thing you get in return for your investment is the movie, which (depending on the size of your investment) you'll have to pay for anyway. And that movie will be based on a little-watched television show that's been off the air for six years. It's hard to see how the juice is really worth the squeeze. If this was some little indie movie it'd be different, but again Warner Bros. will be the ones distributing it and, theoretically, pocketing any extra money that comes in. Basically you're donating money to a movie studio. Is that something anyone should be asking you to do?

I guess my ire is really directed at the famous and semi-famous people who, rather than hustle around town drumming up the money from proper backers and investors and then hoping money from their fans will roll in, just make some cutesy video instead and figure their work done. There's an arrogance to it that I find extremely unbecoming. You need look no further for evidence of that arrogance (in the guise of doing a Super Cool thing) than the reward for a $400 donation to the Veronica Mars movie: "If you kick in $400 to the cause, we will love you so much that Kristen (@IMKristenBell) and Rob (@RobThomas) will follow you on Twitter for an entire year." I mean ugh, right?? This is the kind of thing that Kickstarter facilitates. It's the height of tacky.
                No, YOU are the height of tacky!

As charming as the Veronica Mars crew is, some darkness lies behind their big idea. Which is why it might ultimately be better if it fails. There, I said it. Corporate opportunism posing as empowerment of the masses is not something we should encourage.

Comment

• THEY JUST DON'T GET IT! I can't even with that bullshit. Not today, the happiest of days. Hee. The reward is SEEING THE DAMN MOVIE. Gah.

Have these people never loved fictional characters before?

Comment

• I knew somebody was going to invoke "donate to a real charity" bullshit. I pretty much plan to write an epic rant in response to this.
                    Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• It's hard to see how the juice is really worth the squeeze.
                      Ugh. Dude has clearly never seen that bathroom counter make-out scene.

Comment

• I pretty much plan to write an epic rant in response to this.
                        I can't wait to read this!

Dude has clearly never seen that bathroom counter make-out scene.
                        Exactly. Worth every penny.

JDoh better get in shape! He can't ruin my sexy Logan fantasies!

ETA: Everyone get ready, its over 1.9 million.
                        Last edited by jennchum; 03-13-2013, 08:34 PM.

Comment

• Dude has clearly got his head too far up his own ass to see anything.

It's not just about financing a big studio movie!

-- it's about being part of something bigger than you and sharing that something with your fandom community (TRUFRENZ)
                          -- it's about getting cool stuff that will remind you of This Very Special Fandom Day
                          -- it's about seeing a daydream and fervent wish come true. Why do you hate wishes and dreams, sir?
                          -- it's about FUCKING CLOSURE FOR LOGAN AND VERONICA WHO DIDN'T GET NONE

$72k left to go!!

Comment

• I viscerally disagree with errrrrything in that Atlantic post.

But! Waiting on epic gif squeeeeee party in t-minus $70k!!!!

Comment

• Um, I LOVE THE INTERNET SO MUCH.

Comment

• O is so right! The money gets you the movie but it also delivers a lovely online communal experience that involves paying and non-paying fans alike! *sniff*

Comment

Working...
                                X