Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ophy
    replied
    These are the deets on where LJ would have taken the next couple of books. Very Bamon-y, actually. linda would approve.

http://ljanesmith.net/blog/2014/635-...diaries-series
    Evensong: Paradise Lost
    Damon is back and enjoying his vampire existence to its fullest. Elena, Bonnie and their friends are in their third week at Dalcrest College, ordinary students aware of an extraordinary world that verges on their own campus.

Stefan is scarcely aware that he is living in a fragile paradise with Elena as his devoted girl . . . until one night it all shatters. He wakes from a dream to find Elena limp and white in his arms and rushes her to the hospital for a massive transfusion,

Elena survives, but Stefan decides that there is only way that she will ever truly be safe is without him. To make his exit complete, Stefan removes himself from the memories of Elena, her friends, and all of Fell’s Church.

Can true love ever really be forgotten? Will Damon finally have Elena by his side as his Princess of Darkness? The story begins in Evensong: Paradise Lost.

--------

Evensong: The War of Roses: Part 1

Elena and her friends now have no conscious memories of Stefan—but each is having a difficult time adapting to a world without him. Damon can scarcely put out fires fast enough.

Bonnie feels as if she’s going insane. Her latest oddity is sleepwalking across the Dalcrest campus with only a golden-eyed white “dog” as a companion. This behavior terrifies the others, especially given the recent attacks in neighboring towns that leave girls drained of blood.

More, Bonnie finds herself caught up in her own love triangle with Matt’s shy new roommate, Bastian, and Damon. She realizes that Damon should be completely off limits, but she can’t help feeling there is someone else who is Elena’s perfect partner somewhere.

No one knows much about Bastian, who has white-blond hair and golden eyes, but he doesn’t seem to like Damon. Is Bastian just jealous of Damon’s affection for Bonnie or does he have some darker secret?

Meanwhile, both red roses and black are mysteriously appearing for Bonnie and Elena. Who are they from, and why do they seem so important? The War of Roses has just begun. . . .
    DO YOU THINK BASTIEN MIGHT ALSO BE THE DOG BECAUSE I DO.
    Last edited by ophy; 01-15-2014, 02:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ophy
    replied
    You do you, LJ.

http://www.vampire-diaries.net/books...-kindle-worlds

Many fans of The Vampire Diaries books were left upset and bereft back when Alloy made the decision to replace L.J. Smith as the writer of the series, and decided to take the story in a different direction than the one LJS had planned. While the book series continues to be successful, many fans have wondered what would have happened with LJS at the helm, where the story would have gone, and who would Elena choose – Stefan or Damon?

Well, it’s a fantastic day to be a loyal LJS fan, because we’re about to find out the answer to those questions, thanks to Amazon’s Kindle Worlds. For those who aren’t aware, Kindle Worlds allows the publication of fanfiction about certain titles (including The Vampire Diaries) through Amazon. This means that L.J. Smith is finally able to publish her intended vision of The Vampire Diaries for fans to enjoy. While LJS does point out that these stories class as fanfiction and not an official part of the series, we’re sure that in the heart of many fans they’ll count where it matters.
    The Evensong trilogy will continue from where Midnight left off, taking an alternate path from the official Hunters trilogy. Evensong: Paradise Lost and Evensong: The War of Roses: Part 1 will be available from the Kindle Worlds store on the 23rd January, 2014.

Head on over to L.J. Smith’s website for her announcement, as well as details on the next two stories.
    That is so not what I though Kindle Worlds would be for, but okay!

Leave a comment:

• dada_teacher
    replied
    I actually think it's better that there is not a "big bad" and the bad guys are more believable. Maybe it's just me, but "crazy secret organisations which performs experiments to vampires / aliens / whatever" is one of my favorite tropes. I like the implications and the questions it rises.

Leave a comment:

• SW1237
    replied
    I love Dr. Max. I don't want him to be the bad guy.
    They need a big bad again. Its not as good a show without some really bad guy

Leave a comment:

• ophy
    replied
    Carrie is also unhappy with this season: http://www.avclub.com/review/fifty-s...grayson-105821

I don't agree with all of her quibbles, but I definitely agree with her that TVD has a villain void, and I agree with her take on why Elena feels so flat in S5:

I’ve spoken of this in the past, but the Elena I fell in love with—strong Elena, impulsive Elena, fiercely and irresponsibly loyal Elena—is almost nowhere to be found since she transitioned to a vampire, and she wasn’t given any sort of new traits to take their place. It’s like she just sort of exists, the center of a show where she serves no purpose but for plots and fates and characters to revolve around her, and that’s simply not interesting. Elena needs to want something, needs to need something, needs to have something, and right now she has nothing, and as a result she’s the most passive character on the show. Your lead simply cannot be the most passive character on the show.
    Elena just reacts, she doesn't act anymore. That is certainly a problem.

The only moments that I found Elena to be delightful were those college moments in the beginning, before Megan died (oh, and I enjoyed it when she and Caroline were teaching Jesse Vampire 101).

She went from this:

to this:

too fast for my liking.

So they need to fix their villain problem (who are we supposed to root *against*? Dr. Max is not that interesting yet) and fix their Elena problem, and that's really my only big complaints. I am enjoying a lot of the other things.

Leave a comment:

• ophy
    replied
    Price re-cap of 5.10: http://www.tv.com/shows/the-vampire-...-138688375781/

He's not really a fan of this season so far.

Leave a comment:

• ophy
    replied
    Damon is smart when the writers need him to be smart, and then dumb when they need him to be dumb. Which I guess is the same for Elena.

Leave a comment:

• dada_teacher
    replied
    If I remember correctly, Nina, Paul and Ian are payed for 22 episodes and the rest for 18 or something? Annoying but after all this time I'm kind of used to it.

I'm finally caught up! I thought the aftermath with Enzo was anticlimactic and it really bothered me that he was out in the sun and I couldn't even spot a ring. But even if he had a ring, annoying nonetheless.

I didn't mind Damon not checking to see if Augustine still operates because, frankly, Damon hasn't been that bright in multiple occasions. I did like the break up, though. I hope it makes my boys work together more because the lack of interaction is grating. I'm also kind of rooting for Elena and Aaron!

Steferine was great up until Katherine blew Nadia off for Stefan. Not okay by my book. I can't believe how much I like Nadia. So, all in all, I liked it.

Leave a comment:

• isadora
    replied
    I found the break-up silly and tedious.

And I hate where they are obviously going: Katherine jumps to Elena's body, nobody notices for a few hours and meanwhile "Elena" runs back to Stefan. Ugh. Poor Stefan!

Leave a comment:

• SW1237
    replied
    Loved Katherine and Nadia and Steferine. Didn't even care about Damon/Elena break up because they have been so boring. Loved seeing Damon get all fiery though.
    One thing that has always annoyed me about tvd is how they will go episodes without main characters. I assume that is budget related but I find it so annoying for continuity sake.

Leave a comment:

• gloopdygleep
    replied
    Mostly I liked:

-Katherine and Nadia. Nadia is growing on me and I hope Katherine doesn't hurt her feelings anymore.

-Enzo because he's pretty.

Leave a comment:

• ophy
    replied
    Okay, did a re-watch, and there are things that worked really well for me and things that very much did not.

GOOD THINGS

-- Ian's haircut. On point! Paul's hair, too. Good hair all around in the ep, actually.

-- all things Katherine and Nadia. Nadia does the beautiful tears welling up thing marvelously. I really love Olga Fonda's casting. Also, reminding Matt about the threesome was a nice touch.

-- Team Salvatore working together as brothers. Missed that! We've had so little of that in S5.

-- Damon's reaction to Steferine hooking up. Ha!

-- Do I even have to say EVERYTHING STEFERINE? It was just so GAH. That last scene with the hands and the tears and Stefan saying he was sorry that she was dying? And he was holding her hand and she was holding his hand and he was wearing the ring that *she* made for him back in 1864 when he was her Human Stefan and they loved each other? I felt that much more keenly than I did the D/E break-up scene, to be honest. ASKSFAHSKRHKLRG.

-- Damon looking down to see that he literally had Enzo's blood on his hands, whereas for the past 70 yrs it had only been metaphorical.

-- The D/E break-up scene was well done. It felt cathartic for Ian and Nina as well (okay, that's not what they intended, but yeah). Ian's delivery of "Stop defending me!" was particularly powerful. This is a show with a LOT of break up scenes, but I felt like this was nicely written/acted overall.

LESS GOOD.

-- The popping back and forth between Whitmore College and Mystic Falls has become such a joke. Damon went from WC to MF to WC long before it even got dark. And how could Enzo have *possibly* made it to Dr. Wes's classroom from Mystic Falls before Aaron could take the bros there? Answer; he couldn't have. Ridiculous. We were told that campus and MF were a few hours apart by car, but they are writing these episodes like they are just down the block from each other.

-- Enzo was out in daylight? But aren't daylight rings super rare? Which Bennett witch did he know?

-- "as far as humanly possible" is not something Damon would say. Given that they are, in fact, not human, and can run waaaaaay farther.

-- As much as I enjoyed 'Matt Donovan; Personal Trainer', that was an idea too dumb for Katherine.

-- So . . . nobody thought to check in with Caroline, Bonnie or Jeremy when Elena was missing and being tortured. Okay!

Leave a comment:

• ophy
    replied
    She burned her dad's vampire diary! That just made me happy. #parallels

Well, they do have to have a break-up for D/E because TV reasons, and it does seem in character for Damon to pull a Pacey (and with a helluva better reason than Pacey, what with Damon being an actual serial killer who might actually drag Elena down into his darkness with him, and Pacey being just a guy with daddy issues). Damon doesn't ship Damon/happiness, that's the problem here. But at least that's been consistent.

But yes, the way they have handled the PTSD stuff has been awful.

The 100th ep is a wake for Katherine! I love that. I assume Nadia is going to show up last minute and shove Katherine into Elena's body, which will makes things super crazy for the rest of S5. And perhaps Katherine's redemption will be in shoving the traveller knife into Elena, thereby killing herself to save Elena in some way? That's the kind of poetic thing they go for in the TVD writers' room.
    Last edited by ophy; 12-12-2013, 08:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• isadora
    replied
    That Elena flashback was dark! And her dad was TWISTED. What's with her burning everything? She's kind of a pyro.

And that breakup was so lame. I couldn't care less about their relationship but that was deeply, woefully contrived. Maybe the most contrived breakup since Dawson's Promicide

In fact, the entire PTSD thing they've been working for the last couple of weeks is pretty trite and awful, IMO, especially now when we have a country full of veterans dealing with it. Perhaps if it wasn't a painful topic related to our country's endless warmongering I might not roll my eyes at it. But I am and that's all there is to it.
    Last edited by isadora; 12-12-2013, 08:14 PM. Reason: I wrote down the wrong prom.

Leave a comment:

• SW1237
    replied
    I love drama and break ups and other people getting in the way of true love but my people better end up together at the end damn it!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X