• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The TV Nostalgia Thread

Simple enough, right?

MASON CAPWELL FTW!!!

Mason quotes Shakespeare at Gina! http://youtu.be/2KN_aY9wvy4

Mason and Julia get married: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ali9S...DFEFF33C23FFCD

Their vows were hysterical.
    "I promise not to floss my teeth in the bedroom- she says it sounds like playing the harp."
    "I suppose other women are out of the question."
    "I think I might die if I don't get old and fat and weed your garden."

"Will you please promise to love me forever, so everyone can hear?"
    "Is that all? I promise to love her forever, I do. Is that enough?""
    "Yes, that's enough. The rest we can work out."

"I vow that failure is not sufficient cause to render these vows null and void."

"Honey, you forgot to kiss me."

Eden's hair was totally wicked in this scene.

There was no show like SB!

And for some serious 'where are they now', here is Lane Davies being interviewed about directing a Shakespeare festival in 2011 in TN. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbpbQSleCu4

In other TV nostalgia, here's some YCDTOTV (with Alanis Morissette!): http://youtu.be/B1Q55CLrTkg
    Last edited by ophy; 11-29-2012, 12:46 PM.

I'm way down the rabbit hole now. I hope the ophyboy doesn't mind raising himself today. Oh, who am I kidding . . . he has to raise himself every day. Working out great so far!

Mary dies on SB! When a giant 'C' falls on top of her! http://youtu.be/_N2DrZR9gNs

"What are you going to do, Mary?"
    "I'm going to be happy, that's what I'm going to do."

"You know what my problem is? That all of my life I thought that if you want to be loved, you have to be quiet, that you can't disagree with anybody.You can't stand up for yourself or they won't love you anymore. . . . I'm not going to be that way anymore. No more."

*crash*

*sob*

I totes forgot that the only reason why she was on the roof was to convince her rapist husband Mark to sign away his rights to their unborn child and confess to Mason that he had raped her!

Comment

Pretty sure I dropped an egg when Mason recited Shakespeare! Even with the heavy beard! Ha! Seriously, I still swoon over him. It's pathological.

Julia's dress was rather pretty for the era! Eden's spiral perm at their wedding! Bwah! That show was just stocked with great actors. They were somehow able to emote and make believable these incredibly deranged characters. And they all seemed to be having a straight-up blast while doing it. The show was really never the same after the original creators of the show left. They really did great madcap old school romantic comedy stylings. Those vows are FANTASTIC. And I still think he's a brilliant actor.

Also? Mason Capwell was kind of the original Chuck Bass. He was awful. He was a spoiled, petulant, angry brat of a young man who taught himself how to grow up and totally hurt some people along the way but, during the Lane Davies era, his story arc -- long and absurd at times -- was also pretty beautiful. I actually felt a smidge misty when he told Julia he "worked so hard to be good enough for you"--SOB. Seriously SOB. I feel just as strongly about Mason Capwell today as I did at 15. Who knew!? Actually, Mason Capwell is my prototype boyfriend. Dark hair, pale skin, ridiculously devoted and a little unruly. *swoon*

And I'm just going to say it: CRIED watching that stupid overwrought scene of Mary's death. The insane symbolism of the giant C for Capwell --HOTEL! Like The Empire on GG --crushing her. She's corny in retrospect but when she says, "It's alright, I'm not afraid." and he replies, "I am, I'm afraid." OH MY GOD. He KILLED me.

I could spent the entire day, the rest of my life, watching clips of Mason Capwell.

ETA:

EVERYBODY on Santa Barbara was raped! Total 80s thing. BUT also forgot that Julia was such a kick-ass awesome feminist.
      Last edited by isadora; 11-29-2012, 12:44 PM.
      Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

I feel just as strongly about Mason Capwell today as I did at 15
        Oh God, I know!

And Davies was a *real* Shakespearean actor, like the genuine article. But he was doing this crazy soap where people got raped and locked in wine cellars and sarcophaguses and had alternate personalities and got kidnapped by mountain men, but he was the REAL DEAL through and through. Tremendous theatrical talent who elevated the material. *swoon* My crush on Lane Davies is unending. I don't actually remember watching a single ep after he left the show. I probably didn't.

I know you missed the serial rapist plot, but I was just watching the 'Mason quotes at Gina' clip, and noticed the broad Southern accent he used for his alternate personality. I thought he had faked that, but just wiki'ed him and he was born in Georgia, and went to college in TN. Not fake after all! He has a son named Thatcher Lee, by the way, which is a super cool name. He has another son, too, but his name is less cool so who cares.

I wish Lane Davies could come onto TVD as Elijah's bestie or something. Elijah's life partner! Elijah could be bi, why not.

Comment

Oh, and I love this from wikipedia:
          Davies was challenged by a complicated working relationship with co-star Nancy Lee Grahn. Constant conflict over the direction of their characters led to his departure in 1989. When he first left the show, he was quoted as saying, "It's not that I'm looking for another kind of challenge as far as acting is concerned. I'm just ready for a rest more than a challenge. I've kind of challenged myself into an early grave." . . . .

Davies was cast as Dr. Cameron Lewis on General Hospital from 2002 to 2004. He again appeared opposite Grahn; the two resolved their issues and were friends, and she had joined General Hospital as lawyer Alexis Davis in 1996.
          So he left the show because of the actress who played Julia! I assume 'they resolved their issues and were friends' really translates to = they hate-fucked and now everything is fine again.

On her wiki page it says:
          Offscreen, Grahn was briefly involved with Mason's portrayer, actor Lane Davies; conflict over their storylines eventually led to Davies' departure from the series.
          Doesn't knowing that make all of their scenes so much better! RLTL!!!

Comment

OMG! I NEVAH KNEW!!!

He totally couldn't hang. "Direction of their characters" = Lane didn't want to have to work with his ex all day long and the producers were like "too bad, so sad, beefcake" and he said "I'm audi." True story.
            Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

It's so angsty and delicious!

Anyway, this showed up on my TL today . . . the unaired BtVS pilot! http://youtu.be/WR3J-v7QXXw

I've never seen it before.

Comment

Different Willow, right? I saw that a long time ago.

Comment

Mason gives Julia glass slippers while taking the entire day off to get busy.

I can't get over my Mason Capwell as prototype Chuck Bass feelings. Mason grew up and learned to love and fought his darker impulses as hard as he could. *sniff* Perfect bad boy arc!

Comment

Also? Somebody put 24 vids up chronicling Eden's rape story!

16-year-old me THANKS YOU MUCHLY.

Because I love all of you, Parker Lewis Can't Lose:

And amazing clips of heavy metal dude Badge throughout the show:

Lots of great moments!

Comment

I loooooved Parker Lewis! I fell madly in love with Corin "Corky" Nemec after he played poor, doomed Steven Stayner in the made-for-TV movie, "I Know My First Name is Steven" and I remember being ridiculously excited that he got his own show. The hair! The buttoned-up-to-the-neck shirts! *faints*

My sister was huge SB fan, but I missed out on it. I did religiously tape All My Children (Tad&Dixie OTP!) and One Life to Live (I shipped Tina & Cord and Megan & Jake so much I named my 8th grade health class egg babies after them: Tina Megan and Cordero Jake).

Family Ties was definitely my first sitcom love and Alex P. Keaton/Michael J. Fox were simultaneously my first fictional character/celeb crushes. My sister and I still quote FT to each other all the time. This is from one of my favorite episodes. the judges awarding points for "close enough." And please note that one of the girls on the opposing team is Deborah "Valley Girl" Foreman!

Comment

I LOVE Deborah Foreman SO MUCH. She's a yoga instructor, last I heard.

And I saw that made-for-TV-movie with Corin Nemec. He was GENIUS in that movie. I'm sure you know that Steven Stayner had a super tragic life and died young! And one day while watching some awful Crime TV show many years ago I discovered that this brother Cary--that one who was not abducted but was seemingly largely neglected? Became a serial killer! Super disturbing!

"I Know My First Name is Steven" is one of the best TV movies ever made, IMO.

Comment

I don't remember which thread we were talking about this but I've been re-watching the X-Files for a few months and I think it was cajun that said she was considering watching the first season or so. I'm not even kidding when I say that the first two seasons are still enjoyable BUT seasons three and the beginning of season four are SO GOOD. It's crazy how well the show holds up. It''s still smart and scary and hilarious and just so X-Files-y that I can't recommend re-watching highly enough. I've seen 99% of the episodes before and I have been straight-up creeped up while re-watching.

There are certain concessions that must be made--Mulder's wacky monologues and Scully's endless scientific counter-arguments! But the beauty of the X-files is that it's largely self-aware. So as the series goes on? The show plays with its own conventions and makes fun of itself regularly.

I don't even think there is another show on TV you can compare it to. Every show I watched and loved afterward (minus teen melodramz) owes something to the X-Files.

Comment

I was just watching the beginning of the movie The Ten with all The State/WHAS people in it, and the first segment features Seth Cohen jumping out of a plane. I recognized his voice first and then realized my husband has never seen a single episode of The OC, which is so shocking to me. But it also reminded me of this funny story - my sister was in high school when The OC started airing and was obsessed, and has most of the dvds. So one day, when she was a senior, my mom confesses to me that she and my dad have been watching S1 of The OC on Friday nights when my sister was out, but she didn't want me to tell my sister because they were embarrassed. But of course, I had to tell her immediately. Her response "Thank GOODNESS that's what they're doing - I kept coming home and finding them looking guilty on the couch and was so worried about what they were doing!"

Comment

I've seen 99% of the episodes before and I have been straight-up creeped up while re-watching.
                              Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, is as creepy as the episode with the inbred family. OMG I had nightmares for weeks.

Comment

Working...
                              X