Award Shows: Ways to Critique Famous Women

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Award Shows: Ways to Critique Famous Women

How do we not have a general award show thread in the TV forum?

Let's have this be it. It's too confusing for me otherwise.

Listen, Miley Cyrus was skanks last night. I get it. BUT. People are straight-up calling her racist for having a minstrel show with black back-up dancers while giving Robin Thicke a pass (I read one comment that said he "celebrates" black culture but Miley? Oh, she's guilty of racial appropriation for having black back-up dancers and twerking).

Miley was backing her shit up into a man 15 years her senior in order to get attention from the audience at home who quickly rejected her and were scandalized (? I don't believe it but blogs are telling me it's true) by her display of...skanky racism?

We literally are SO ACCUSTOMED to young women using their bodies to get our attention that we are like: BUT SHE SEEMS TO BE ACTING BLACK (and also like a whore) and neither of those things have anything to do with us, white media in America.

Basically, I hate the liberal commentariat today. They can't see for the forest for the trees (That's not to say maybe there is some racial appropriation in her performance but I've literally only seen whitey talk about that so far and the claims seemed ridic in context to everything else going on in her performance).
    Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

WTF? Her backup dancers looked like backup dancers in a weirdo number at an MTV awards show. Now I'm kinda glad I've laid off Twitter and Tumblr.

Comment

I just couldn't get past the stuffed bears, to be honest.

Comment

Oh, the entire night was filled with tediously self-indulgent performances. Hers was just one of many.

I spent a good portion of the show thinking about how Britney threw Justin over for a back-up dancer only to up and marry K-Fed.

Which means, sexually, K-Fed>>>>JT.

It made K-Fed more interesting for about 10 minutes for me.
        Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

My daughter's twitter feed was not amused (yes, I'm still stalking her):

Miley don't ruin this song! OMG STOP PLEZ I'm begging. You're dad is crying in the fetal position
          MC I'm embarrassed for you omg
          [Miley Cyrus looks like Malfoy.

Comment

For isadora! And anyone else who rolled their eyes about the outrage over Miley's VMA performance, really.

Comment

Sarah and I both shared that on the Facebook. LOVE it.

Comment

How quiet we are in here probably says something how dull the Emmys were this year.

But! Price recapped them for us: http://www.tv.com/shows/the-primetim...-137993890147/

SO WE CAN RELIVE THE DULLNESS. AND THE DEAD PEOPLE STUFF.

(Thanks, Marijie, for the link!)

Comment

The BB gif made me spit out my drink! And Price is right, the Emmy should've gone to Travis Wall, kthxbai‎.

Comment

Merritt Weaver's speech made me laugh, but my favorite (as always) was Tina/Amy heckling NPH and JLD 5EVER for working out that bit beforehand in case she won. The three of them should just take NPH around in a caravan and host everything from now on.

Comment

APPROVED.

I mean, anytime anyone else gets tapped to host, they just *know* people are secretly (or not so secretly) wishing Amy/Tina/NPH would take their place. It's got to be humbling.

Comment

And Price is right, the Emmy should've gone to Travis Wall, kthxbai‎.
                        This. I can't believe with all the SYTYCD amazingness, douchey Hough won.

my favorite (as always) was Tina/Amy heckling NPH and JLD 5EVER for working out that bit beforehand in case she won. The three of them should just take NPH around in a caravan and host everything from now on.
                        AND THIS.

I also saw Enough Said this weekend and I'm prob getting JLD 5EVER (TM: Issie) tattooed on me somewhere (complete with the TM).

Comment

Amy + Tina are hosting the Globes for the next two years, bitches! Wee!

Comment

Comment

AWESOMESAUCE.

Comment

Working...
                              X