X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Same.

WHO is watching those shows?

Comment

• I know my brother and his boyfriend watch Big Bang Whatchamacallit, but they are the only ones!

I'm guessing it must be old people, then. I don't know the viewing habits of the elderly.

Comment

• Game of Thrones return 3/31/13. There are no official trailers out (yet) for Season 3 but this is as good as anything I've seen:

It's the one show I can honestly say I don't watch because of a ship or a certain character but because it's SO GOOD.

Warning: it's NOT kid friendly. And not for the faint hearted. There is swearing, nudity, violence, and incest from the getgo. And the most beloved AND most hated characters are CHILDREN. The heroes do heiness things and the villains do heroic things and you will love them and hate them and just want more.

Comment

• My brother is a huge GOT fanboy, but I have a giant hate for that show. So well made, so well written, so well cast . . . . and I HATED almost every second of the first three eps of S1, and just could not bring myself to watch 1.04.

I can't even pin down why I hate it so much. I think it's because there were just too many assholes, and not enough non-assholes. And the graphic nature just turned me off, tbh. I'm not grown-up enough for grown-up tv, I guess.

Comment

• I don't have any premium pay stations. My peers and TV loving friends all gasp at this. Hee! But I figure I'll just stream it if I care that much. I mean, I have a hard time getting around to watch everything I like now let alone if I had all these premium channels to watch incesty shows (though clearly I would like that).
            Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• Yeah, I don't have any premium channels either. I was using my brother's log-in to watch GOT on his HBO Online account. He's sweet that way, but there is honestly nothing on any of those pay channels that I want to see.

Comment

• Game of Thrones

Yeah, there is ZERO mercy on that show. Kids and adults are subject to the exact same treatment. If you enjoy the morally gray, GoT is the show for you.

My entire extended family is using my HBO GO account online. I may be cheap about a lot of things, but cable is the exception.
                Last edited by jennchum; 01-05-2013, 09:09 PM.

Comment

• and I HATED almost every second of the first three eps of S1, and just could not bring myself to watch 1.04.
                  ME TOO. Then Mr. Gloop got all whiny about him watching my shows and me not watching his shows and guilted me into watching more (in exchange for NOT having to watch Walking Dead) and by the 5th episode I was hooked. Like *couldn't look away* hooked.

It's hard to get into at first because they just throw you into the first episode and the action just starts happening and you're all "wait, who is that? What are they doing? Why do I care?" but if you watch long enough you just know and care.

Comment

• What's weird is that I grew up with every pay channel in the world. My family LIVED through our cable box. We had cable and HBO and EVERY pay station. But I also just realized I rarely seem to get into those super cool premium shows. And I'm not even sure why. I've tried over the years. I tried to watch Sex & The City and I didn't get the fuss at all. I couldn't even get through the first season DVDs. I tried to watch Six Feet Under and didn't really get fired up about it. I watched Dexter on Netflix streaming and got up through the Ligthgow season and I was just hate-watching (though Lithgow was brill) at that point. And after that season's finale (I won't spoil it) I was like: Fuck this shit. I tried to watch The Tudors. Blech.

I would like to watch Game of Thrones but I figure I could get them on Netflix or Amazon streaming and yet I can't seem to get around to watching it. I would also like to see Girls because I prefer shows with complicated female characters but I can't seem to be bothered to acquire that either.
                    Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• Oh, I had no trouble following the people or the actions, and they made me care right away. But I could tell it was going to be the kind of show that made me care *too much* and then would kill somebody that I cared about in some ridiculously over-the-top graphic way, and I decided that I had no room in my emotions for that. Although, it wasn't even the violence so much as the sex that grossed me out. Such a turn-off.

Oh! Now I remember what made me stop watching forever. It was when Ned Stark killed the direwolf because of Joffrey's asinine accusations. I was so pissed off at that . . . I turned it off and never went back. I could not stand Joffrey and his smug nasty face and did not want to watch anything that had him in it ever again.

Comment

• I've tried over the years. I tried to watch Sex & The City and I didn't get the fuss at all. I couldn't even get through the first season DVDs. I tried to watch Six Feet Under and didn't really get fired up about it. I watched Dexter on Netflix streaming and got up through the Ligthgow season and I was just hate-watching (though Lithgow was brill) at that point. And after that season's finale (I won't spoil it) I was like: Fuck this shit. I tried to watch The Tudors. Blech.
                        Except for the part about Dexter, which I never bothered with, I could have written that paragraph. And I feel the same about Girls. Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Homeland wevs. I just can't bring myself to be interested in the tv stuff my demographic is supposed to be interested in.

Comment

• Originally posted by ophy View Post
                          Oh! Now I remember what made me stop watching forever. It was when Ned Stark killed the direwolf because of Joffrey's asinine accusations. I was so pissed off at that . . . I turned it off and never went back. I could not stand Joffrey and his smug nasty face and did not want to watch anything that had him in it ever again.
                          HA!!! I stopped watching for a year after that. Push a kid out of a window and paralyze him for life in 101 and that bullshit in 104 Um, hells no. But, I am obligated to watch a certain number of adult "boy" shows to keep the peace and I grew to love it later. I still won't rewatch that first part of S1. And you are right, GoT does stomp all over your heart. On the weekly.

Comment

• OMG Joffrey is that villain that I hatehatehate more than anything. Nothing ever redeems him and I hate him so bad I hate him so bad.

and then would kill somebody that I cared about in some ridiculously over-the-top graphic way,
                            You have NO IDEA. I'm still traumatized. And I love them for it.

Comment

• You know I hate-watched the first season of Mad Men and then the entire tenor of the show changed and it got much more interesting and is really all about the complicated girl characters making their way their the patriarchy. So I now enjoy it.

And I also hate-watch Breaking Bad but CAN NOT STOP. I also think, based just on a few quotes I've seen from the series creator? I seem to be one of the few sane people watching it. I saw some quote where he said that if you are watching the show he really appreciates it, but that if you think Walter's wife is the villain in that relationship he hopes you are not his neighbor! Ha! You are SUPPOSED to hate Walter and if you don't you are CRAY. I also watch for Aaron Paul who is INSANELY good as Jesse Pinkman. That kid looks sad for a minute and I want to cry crocodile tears. His performance has moved from goofy to heartbreaking.

I've not seen Homeland because I can't seem to care enough to bother with that one either!

And you know I also hate-watch The Walking Dead. SO MUCH HATE. Can we all agree that here at madnono "smh" means "so much hate" and not "shaking my head"?

I'm guessing this is why we read YA fiction! We somehow forgot to grow up when it comes to entertainment.

Comment

• The kid getting pushed out of the window was my favorite bit of everything that I watched. That was awesome. Of course, I'd watch Nikolaj Coster-Waldau push a kid out of a window every day. Loved him since the New Amsterdam days. Now that show was cancelled too soon.

So it says something about my hate for Joffrey and most of the other characters that I couldn't keep watching something with Nikolaj Coster-Waldau in it.

ETA
                                We somehow forgot to grow up when it comes to entertainment.
                                There is a purity to YA, and tv made for the YA audience (not an innocence, just a purity), that still speaks to me so much more than the 'gritty grown-up' stuff.

I have no regrets.
                                Last edited by ophy; 01-05-2013, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X