What are you watching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is anybody watching Nashville?
    I watched the first 3 episodes and then dropped it. I just couldn't get into and I really wanted to love it because it has a lot of stuff I usually like: singing, young vs. old, affairs! And I mean, Tami Taylor! I wanted to love it just for her. But Rayna (Connie Britton's character) kind of sucks and I found her judgy and annoying in not a fun, sassy Tami way. Hayden is actually really good on the show and makes her bratty character sympathetic and multidimensional. You feel for her even though the show clearly wants you to root for Rayna.

Comment

• I think I'm the only one who still loves Nashville. It's exactly what I wanted it to be -- pretty country people with problems. It did take a while for me to block out Hayden's real life probs, though.
      Last edited by LaaLaa; 01-08-2013, 11:52 PM.

Comment

• Um, yeah. I find Caskett totally unsexy now, too. I just didn't want to say anything, in case you were in massive lurve with them, gloop.

And I did want them to get together! I was all into that very first wet kiss. But they had better 'longing from afar' chemistry than they do 'snuggle bunny' chemistry, I think. Some actors just do. It's how I felt about Booth and Brennan when they finally got together, too . . . and a big reason why I stopped watching Bones.

Stana and Nathan were the most popular answer to a BI (I think it was even confirmed) about two co-stars that did not hit it off at first. This was waaaaay back in S1, when it was all new. The blind said that the male co-star told the female co-star, in front of everyone, that she was being a bitch (or words to that effect) and that she should get over herself. But from what I understood, things got much better after that. And I think that BI came from enty, who has come up with some whoppers about R&K that are so ludicrous that it makes me question all of his blinds, tbh.

Comment

• Everything Issie said about Nashville. I dropped it too.

Back the truck up!! Luke and Lorelai didn't like each other? I never knew that. Deets please?

Comment

• I'm definitely just a casual viewer of Castle, but from my perspective they waited too long to put them together, which partially kills the sexy for me. Same for Booth and Brennan. But then I think getting the timing right for those "will they/won't they" couples is extremely difficult. It used to really irritate me when I felt like my shows got it wrong but now I almost feel bad for the showrunners because it has to be super tough to figure out when to do it. If it happens too soon people get bored and then you have to invent stupid reasons to break them apart and if you wait to long people get annoyed and by the time it happens, they're "eh" about it (and the actors, a lot of times, are already tired of playing the same role for x years and are thinking about their next show/potential movie career).

So I guess basically I think it's probably just a bad idea to even conceive of a show with two leads that will obviously be a couple by the finale. It takes the pressure off the writers and then you can have fun with putting the secondary characters into relationships (like Angela/Hodgins, and the redhead and the cute guy on The Mentalist).

ET tell cajun: The rumor I heard was that they dated early on and he was a jackass and she held a grudge forever, but I feel like that's always the story when male and female co-stars dislike each other. It's entirely likely they just had different personalities and didn't click. One thing I remember is that she was always very pro-Lorelai/Christopher in her interviews and kind of lukewarm (heh) about L/L.
            Last edited by roly; 01-09-2013, 09:51 AM.

Comment

• I also think it's ok to just NOT put couples together and deny fans that pay off. I never thought Booth/Brennan had any relationship chemistry and I was so happy when Mr. Is finally pulled the plug on that because who wants to watch them all have babies? Not me!

I was super bitter at the time when X-Files finally was like: Oh, yeah, we forgot to mention that Scully and Mulder have totally been doing it and she's pregnant...but I like it in retrospect. I've been rewatching X-Files (in all my spare time and as I work on crap around my house) and they are basically a couple by season three. They have no lives outside the other!

They are really willing to kill and die for each other by season two and never even hint at dating other people after awhile because they are consumed with work and with their search for the truth (Mulder's search for the truth; Scully had to be abducted to get her to care about anything but Mulder, honestly). And I don't think they would have ever given the fans the pregnancy had the actress not been pregnant in real life and they didn't want to hide it. And since Mulder exited the series about the same time? It cleared up the little problem of having to show them be a proper couple (a thing that just felt super weird in the second movie that nobody but me saw in the theater).

So, basically? Stop giving the fans what they want! It RUINS your show.
              Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• It's so tricky! Ex: New Girl has Nick and Jess growing as people separately but sharing perfect moments of painfully awkward attraction every once in a while. I enjoy that so much I could watch them dance around each other until the end.

Comment

• One thing I remember is that she was always very pro-Lorelai/Christopher in her interviews and kind of lukewarm (heh) about L/L.
                  That was my fave thing about LG . . . how passive aggressive she was about whathisname in interviews. I was totes a L/C shipper, though. Could not care less about L/L/ Sooooo happy when L/C got married, and then soooooo bummed when it didn't work out.

The timing is crucial . .. I do love what Nick and Jess are doing, but I would feel cheated if I never got to see them as a couple. Not sure when they should do it, though.

Comment

• I think sitcoms are totally different and can play by different rules. Because the same joke is only funny so many times, maybe? I am usually totally ok with unrequited love being requited in sitcoms.
                    Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• isadora, I've seen both the X-Files movies, but never watched the show. We've been contemplating watching the first couple of seasons. How does it hold up? Would you recommend it?

Comment

• OMG. I LOVE the X-Files. The first season is somewhat dated but essential viewing for the development of the characters--way more pivotal stuff happens in seasons one and two that run through the entire series than I remembered. I think many things hold up but some of the "monster of the week" stories are such specific 1990s fears that they become a little funny! Like one episode in season three is called 2Shy about a guy who finds his victims via Internet chat rooms! However, the stories are still pretty spooky and weird and pretty gory/gross even by today's standards.

My least favorite X-Files episodes (and a beloved trope of the series) is Mulder and/or Scully being stuck somewhere and slowly dying unless they find some way to "solve" the problem of the episode. I would skip any of those in the first two seasons.

I really LOVE Mulder and Scully and their relationship is so beautiful and mostly egalitarian. Like he respects the shit out of her! And I love seeing Scully deal with the weird mix of men who clumsily hit on her or patronize her and how she deals with both in a classy way. I'm also slightly obsessed with pinpointing in my mind when they crossed over into a sexual relationship and I'm 80% sure that it happened between the X-Files movie and season four of the series. Ha! Though I'm only in early season three in my rewatch.

Comment

• This almost makes me want to watch Cougar Town!

http://www.gossipcop.com/michelle-wi...busy-philipps/

MW!!!! This was adorbs. "WHUT WHUT."

Comment

• Hah! I've missed MW acting like a goof!

Comment

• I'm definitely just a casual viewer of Castle, but from my perspective they waited too long to put them together, which partially kills the sexy for me.
                              OH I agree. They either needed to put them together much sooner, or waited until endgame to put them together. And I actually would have been fine with that because I've loved watching the longing and the wanting and the quiet jealousy over the other people in their lives. LOVED IT. And I don't even want the romance to be the focus, like, at all. I just want a few scenes here and there where they are together doing something loving and sexy and I want them to look loving and sexy and act loving and sexy and NOT LIKE THIS.

And also I want the cases to be more interesting. They've definitely gone downhill with the murder stuff.

I'm to the point where I'm enjoying the Ryan/Espo bromance much more than the Caskett stuff.

Comment

• I'm a casual Castle viewer too, but I haven't really noticed a lack of sexiness. They have good chemistry and I thought the Christmas episode was cute. But if I'd been waiting for their ship to sail for 4 years I might feel way different about how they are now as a couple.

New Girl is actually one show that I think is super successful at keeping interest in a couple alive while also giving them real love interests outside of each other. It feels like Jess and Nick are endgame, but I actually wouldn't mind at all if they never dated. I like her with the doctor right now (he's SO cute, OMB!) and I liked Nick with Lizzy Caplan a bunch. She's adorable and I would've liked to see her hang around a little longer. Their Paley fest panel was hilarious and this little bit has them talking about how the writers freak out if Nick and Jess display too much chemistry in their scenes:

Comment

Working...
                                X