No announcement yet.

What are you watching?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ha, I liked it for all the reasons you guys didn't. And I thought certain elements were very funny! I loved Aunt Zelda and her devout satanism! It cracked me up.

I also roll my eyes at all the wicca/earth mother stuff so this fresh take on New Age-ism as age-old evil was truly delightful to me. But I also hated Practical Magical. I also didn't see them as bootlickers to patriarchy. I think the female characters are just as power hungry as the men -- maybe more. I also loved that witches don't have a bunch of moral hangups like human dos.
    6 YEAR COMMITMENT TO THE PAIN OF SHIPPING DE. I DONT COMMIT TO MY OWN LIFE AS MUCH DO YOU UNDERSTAND

Comment

• Alan Cumming as King James in this weekíís Doctor Who gave me all the hamming up I could wish for. Fabulous.

Comment

• I binged several of the Netflix Christmas movies between Tuesday and last night and holy shizzzzz, they were all terrible. Y'all know I love a romcom and have a "The limit does not exist" tolerance for romance cheese, but I have apparently found my limit and it is Vanessa Hudgens doing a British accent while she plays one half of a lookalike duo who switch lives and then fall in love with each other's dudes over a two day span. To be fair, her movie was not actually the worst one? I mean, they're all bad, but Kat Graham's movie was also extra horrible as was the one starring the sister from Chuck.

Listen, I will probably watch all of these before Christmas actually gets here, but my hopes are slim that any of them will even be passably acceptable. Mr. Issie will sit with me and play on his phone through most anything, but even he gave up on me after just one movie when I told him I was gonna watch more. Like, he couldn't even sit in the room and *just hear* them in the baclground, that's how shitty they are.

Comment

• I'm not a fan of the holiday movies that populate the Hallmark Channel. It's just not my bag. I watch Christmas in Connecticut every year with Barbra Stanwyck. It's a delightful rom com about a bunch of liars and while I usually hate that premise, everyone in that movie is so perfectly cast -- and Dennis Morgan is still dreamy af to me -- that it's just fun and lighthearted and what I wish rom-coms felt like fro me all the time. I also usually watch Charlie Brown Christmas (while decorating the tree), It's a Wonderful Life (Ugh, I love Jimmy Stewart in that), and sometimes South Park: The Movie (it snows a lot).
          6 YEAR COMMITMENT TO THE PAIN OF SHIPPING DE. I DONT COMMIT TO MY OWN LIFE AS MUCH DO YOU UNDERSTAND

Comment

• Canít Nertflerks just make a holiday Zoey Deutch/Glen Powell thing? I think my limit is Simply Irresistible. Issie, are these new romcoms Buffy-and-a-magic-crab bad?

Itís probs going to be Elf on repeat in this house. I can watch anything except Love, Actually, which is still the weirdest, 85% depressing Christmas movie.

Comment

• Well, seeing as how I liked Simply Irresistible and have watched it more than a handful of times, I'd say these are worse. I think the trick to making a bad movie is to fully do it and make it so bad, it's actually kinda good. I mean, Smidge's cooking caused levitation at the end of Simply Irresistable, but it was so absurd, I was like, "Oh we're doing this now, alright then."

There are two (TWO) Netflix Christmas movies where one half of the couple is a ghost, so maybe I'll watch those back to back and see how they compare.

Comment

• Oh, let me clarify - Iíve seen Simply Irresistible at least four times. Bad-Good is so difficult to pull off.

Comment

• Oh, I might be into the ghost ones! What are they? LOL

Comment

• There's one called The Spirit of Christmas, but I forgot what the other one is called. I found it while doing the Netflix scrawl, though, so once the Christmas movies are part of your algorithm, it'll show up. From the summary, it sounds exactly like that Reese/Ruffalo movie Just Like Heaven.

So, my main problem with these movies is that they're boring. They're all rated G and the pairing rarely has any chemistry and the acting is so so. They get some decent people like Kat Graham who are trying their best with some really shitty material, but no one is really selling it, you know? I mean, I read formulaic romance novels at a rate of like 6 a month so obvs, I don't care about plot originality like at all. Just give me something more fun than this current yawny samey same, Netflix!

Lindsey Price of OG 90210 was on insta last night wondering why she's never been offered one of these and I was like, "YES, WHY." That tier of actors is exactly who needs to be in these, but they keep the casts mostly D list.

Comment

• From the summary, it sounds exactly like that Reese/Ruffalo movie Just Like Heaven.

I think that one might be How Sarah Got Her Wings, which as a movie is only notable because A Really Tall Guy That Nina Dobrev Once Stood Next To At A Party stars in it, and also the ghost girl and the alive guy don't actually end up together.

So, my main problem with these movies is that they're boring.

I'm really struggling with this as well. I want to love them! They never do as much for me as I want them to, though. I have started a gazillion of them, only to ditch out fifteen mins in.

That tier of actors is exactly who needs to be in these,

YES. That can make all the difference.

I remember enjoying Twelve Dates of Christmas when I watched it last year (Mark Paul Gosselar and Amy Smart!) because it was Groundhog Day style, and I am a sucker for those. I think that is on Hulu maybe. Also, there is a Jennie Garth one (Holidaze, also on Hulu) where she becomes the AU version of herself, which kept my interest all the way through (see above re: the right tier of actor for the kind of movie).

Comment

• Oh, forgot that there was another one I liked, called Angry Angel on Hulu . . . Brenda Song and Jason Biggs (Jason Biggs is NOT a love interest, but he is hilars). It's not a sappy love one, though, it's something else entirely.

Comment

• I've seen nthe Spirit of Christmas one! It is PG but the actors actually have chemistry with each other. The ending was VERY abrupt but otherwise I actually enjoyed it for what it was.
                          sigpic

Comment

• I enjoyed the Spirit of Christmas movie, but I saw it when it was actually on network/cable tv.

Comment

• I liked Dumplin' a lot! It was very sweet, if predictable. Aniston's upper lip was so frozen she couldn't enunciate during her big, dramatic scenes! Super weird.

Comment

• Me too! I went into it thinking I'd play it in the background while I started wrapping Christmas presents, but then got really into it. All of the pageant girls were great and I loved how much
                                Dolly singing there was throughout the whole movie. I was hoping she'd make a surprise cameo at the pageant or something so that's my one quibble. Former beauty queen clinging to relevance is kind of JennyAn's whole life so she was perfect in this.

We watched S2 of Mrs. Maisel and I still really liked it, but found it to be much slower paced than the first season despite the Palladinos doubling down on the fast talking. Every scene sounds like it's being played at 1.5x it's intended speed. I love the addition of Zach Levi as Midge's new love interest and I HATE that Midge will probably eff it all up by messing around with her loser ex, I loved her mother's art school attempt, and was super into the whole Dirty Dancing Catskills summer camp parts. I think this type of show makes me miss the traditional format of TV where you can get a little dose once a week for several months. We binged this over 3 days and now we don't get anymore for at least a year which is so loooooong. I also wish they'd do more episodes if they're gonna stay gone for such long stretches. OH! And I LOOOOVED Midge's wardrobe so so so so much. The coat section of her closet is my multi-colored J. Crew coat dreamland. Related: do I need to buy this even though I have a black jacket and a black coat?

Comment

Working...
                                X