Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jane the Virgin: The Best CW Show Ever (If You're a Pretentious TV Critic)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jane the Virgin: The Best CW Show Ever (If You're a Pretentious TV Critic)

Ok, so I'm up to Chapter 5 and I liked this episode best so far.

I'm going to say something crazy: I'm like 60% Team Michael. I actually think he's super sympathetic and his motivations and conflicts make perfect sense to me. My only issue is that he should be taken off the case(s) surrounding the hotel because it's an obvious conflict! But: telenovela.

I think Rafael is a completely empty character! He has no one to confide in and we don't know much about his interior life. His best friend was murdered and he doesn't like his wife and he had cancer. And none of that seems to affect him and it weirds me out. Like shouldn't he have mourned his "best friend" for even a second? Petra has a deeper interior life than he does. So I don't like flat TV boyfriends so I'm not feeling that ship at all.

For the record this show is cute but not the smartest show on TV or anything even close to the accolades it has received! I mean, it's basically Hart of Dixie with the plot ratcheted up to involve murder. The tone borders on Pushing Daisies (which is, kinda bizarre for its plot).
    It’s just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

I loathe Michael. I lurve Rafael

Your whole post made me sad. I am sad now. So sad.

Comment

LOATHE? That seems extreme. He has the most normal real person reactions on the show, IMO. Almost everybody else is a cartoon!

He made some mistakes but I don't really blame him for NOT wanting his virgin gfriend to be pg with some other rich dude's baby!

I think Rafael is more likable as the series goes on and I am not closed off from loving him! I just don't really get his POV and think it's very underdeveloped.

I LOVE Jane's dad the most. He's such a great mix of loving and self-centered.
      It’s just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

So far, I ship Jane with Jane. She's cute with everyone, so...yeah.

Comment

I LOATHE HIM, ISADORA.

I loathe his smug little face and his smug little lying mouth and his smug little opinions and okay, the ep where they show how he and Jane met was kind of cute, but otherwise LOATHE. I can't even listen to your Michael apologetics.

I LOVE Jane's dad the most. He's such a great mix of loving and self-centered.

Oh, Rogelio. Yeah, he's amazing.

Comment

Ok, I watched the part where Jane and Raphael finally actually spent time together. I can ship this!

But how she met Michael was sweet, too!

Comment

I can ship this!

Whew. I was so afraid that you had a heart of stone.

I assume you mean you finally got to this part:

Jane/Rafael have to be endgame -- he's the only one that calls her a writer and treats her like one! I though for sure that would have won you over right away, is.

Comment

Every plucky gal on TV wants to be a writer (or a vampire). I like him, he's nice, just hasn't been fleshed out enough to be real for me yet. I liked that Michael finally came around and realized Jane was the one he wanted and he had to step up and accept it all, including the immaculate pregnancy.

I don't know when this started happening but chemistry is not enough for me anymore on shows. I need character-driven reasons that are well considered to ship canon. I will not tolerate retconning (Arrow) or "meant to be" (this show up until like the last episode I watched as well as 500 other shows who use that a reason to put a couple together). Or crack ships (Sterek) or even shows that seemingly tried to build a case but now can't sustain it (Delena).

I AM DONE WITH SHIPS THAT ARE NOT PERF.

ALLOW ME TO EXPLAIN:

All these TV shows on TV rn can GTFO with their half-assed ships, is what I'm sayin',

Comment

I do want to love again! I will try this, but Rafael also reminds me of one of my very brother-like dudefriends.

Word, Soap Dad is hilars.

Comment

I AM DONE WITH SHIPS THAT ARE NOT PERF.
                    Girl, your standards are too damn high.

I do not understand this. I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum now. I will ship people who just look half-way decent standing next to each other, I have very few shipping scruples at the moment.

Well, this show has lousy ratings, but great buzz. I was on the fence about whether or not the buzz would save it for a S2, but I feel like this Variety article answers that:

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/cws-...um-1201396919/

The network that had endured a long slump comes to the Television Critics Assn. on Sunday with newfound sizzle and respect. The CW has ratings growth to tout — thank you “Flash” and “Arrow” — and traction in the prestige-TV arena with the plucky “Jane the Virgin.”“It’s been a long process,” said CW prexy Mark Pedowitz. “We’ve had a strategy and we’ve stuck to that strategy.”

The signs of a turnaround are coming none too soon for the broadcast network that will mark its 10th anniversary next year. The CW faced the possibility of affiliate defections had the ratings slide continued and its programming remained narrowly tailored for a young female audience.

“There’s no question that affiliates felt we were too niche of a network,” Pedowitz acknowledged.

. . .

To wit, the premiere of “Flash” in October set a new record high for the net, drawing 6.8 million viewers in live plus 7 numbers, plus several million more views across CW’s digital platforms. “Jane the Virgin,” meanwhile, has charmed critics and is up for two top Golden Globe kudos on Sunday — for best comedy and lead comedy actress for star Gina Rodriguez. The show also was feted on Friday by the AFI as one of the top 10 TV programs in 2014, a laurel that will help propel “Jane” as an Emmy contender in the fall.

For the season to date, CW is up 14% in total in total viewers (2.2 million), which marks the net’s best showing since the 2010-11 campaign. It’s up slightly in adults 18-49 (0.9) and adults 25-54 (1.0) and is flat in adults 18-34 (0.8). Any traction is notable in a year when virtually every network, broadcast and cable, is grappling with the galloping pace of change in viewing habits, from new platforms to time-shifting alternatives that are elusive to traditional TV ratings measurement.

. . . .

There are intangible benefits that come from ratings momentum and kudos buzz, as it boosts morale at the network and helps attract more talent. Pedowitz was effusive about the importance of working with top-flight showrunners, such as the “Flash”/”Arrow” team of Greg Berlanti, Andrew Kreisberg and Marc Guggenheim and “Jane the Virgin’s” Jennie Snyder Urman.

“At the end of the day, if you have quality programming, your show may or may not work, but at least you stand a fighting chance,” Pedowitz said. “To everyone’s credit, (CW producers) have really delivered.”

So even if JtV doesn't win anything tonight, the chances of an S2 is pretty good, right? Maybe?

The CW owns me right now, and will so even more once iZombie kicks off in March, which sucks because I fall in love with shows and they get cancelled and ugh. I was worried about *both* JtV and The 100, but now I'm just worried about The 100.

Comment

I watch The CW above all else so I am a deep and serious TRU FAN except I gave up Arrow and Flash never really hit home with me.

But, as you noted above, my standards are too high rn. Heh.

Comment

Working...
                      X