No announcement yet.

Boys in tight pants and other sports stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just interjecting to state that Scotland have just beaten France at Rugby. France are rated 3rd in the world (behind NZ and South Africa, I think it is), and we just creamed them. UTTERLY creamed.

YAY!

Comment

• Speaking of creaming, I caught a few minutes of the Puppy Bowl tonight and OMB! There was a puppy that had a big ol' erection and was humping another puppy! You don't see that at the SuperBowl!
      Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• I can't decide whether I care that Johnny Weir failed to medal. He lives and trains 20 minutes away from me (at my Alma Mater, in fact), so people around here are bummed. But he's such a snotty little diva that it's sort of schadenfreudelicious.

In other Olympic news, I'm totally addicted to Curling. And I have a giant crush on Joey Cheek. He's so damn cute. He cried! And he's giving his bonus money to charity!

Comment

• I'm trying to find the humour in the fact that (for a while) somenone named VanderBeek was leading in the women's Super-G.
          Last edited by Res; 02-20-2006, 10:34 AM.

Comment

• I have such a girl crush on Haley, Vicky, Danielle, (and even Melody) right now.

Game summary

Comment

• I watched the Olympics a lot during the first week, because I like the winter games so much more than summer, but I must have overdosed because I didn't watch much this week. But I have to brag and say that my husband's best friend's sister placed fourth in the women's luge--the best US women's finish in Olympic luge like, ever. We're hoping some of those Germans age out so she can take it all the next time.

Comment

• I watched a bit of the World Cup Soccer and geez that's a frustrating game. I don't know how they don't just use their arms. Then again, I don't know how they resist the urge to merely tackle the guy with the ball.

I *really* can't figure out when someone's offside. They're in front of the kicker and they're okay to receive, they're behind the kicker and they're okay to receive. Then someone gets a penalty and the commentator says it was for offside. Huh?

I best stick with the rugby.

Comment

• Oooh, finally a sports question I know the answer to. This is very exciting for me. I don't actually watch the World Cup, but I played soccer for years when I was a kid so I know the rules fairly well.

A player is offsides if they're on the other team's side of the field and they receive a pass while standing closer to the team's goal than every member of the defending team (the goalie doesn't count). So the position of the kicker isn't the important thing, it's the position of the defenders. The rule is slightly more complicated than that, but that's basically it. At least that's how I remember it, someone who is a bigger soccer fan can correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

• Wonderful! That's easy enough to understand. Totally get that now. Thanks!

It's still awfully frustrating to watch though.

Comment

• That's about right, Jennk. There's been a 'women-friendly' explanation sent round a few times. It is as follows:
                      You're in a shoe shop, second in the queue for the till. Behind the shop assistant on the till is a pair of shoes which you have seen and which you must have. The shopper in front of you has seen them also and is eyeing them with desire. You have forgotten your purse. It would be totally rude to push in front of the first woman if you had no money to pay for the shoes. The shop assistant remains at the till waiting. Your friend is trying on another pair of shoes at the back of the shop and sees your dilemma. She prepares to throw her purse to you. If she does so, you can catch the purse, then walk round the other shopper and buy the shoes.

At a pinch she could throw the purse ahead of the other shopper and, *whilst it is in flight* you could nip around the other shopper, catch the purse and buy the shoes.

Always remembering that until the purse had *actually been thrown* it would be plain wrong to be forward of the other shopper.
                      You can't be awarded a penalty for anything other than a foul by the defending team inside the box (the outer of the two at the goal).
                      Last edited by Ginni; 06-21-2006, 02:14 AM.

Comment

• I heard in England there were more women than men who understood offsides. Is it because of the woman-friendly explanation?

Comment

• Oh my. Perhaps I burnt my bra earlier but I find that explanation really condescending. I can see the football field and the teams so, as long as an explanation's in English, I don't need a penis to understand. The shoe shop scenario would've confused me if I had to relate it to sport!

Another question though - and I hope it's not offensive to soccer lovers - would you say there are less finite rules for soccer than other football games like, say, rugby or gridiron? Or would it be because I don't know soccer as well as rugby union and league?

I'm going to be up before the birds on Friday if I decide to watch the Socceroos' next match. Damn world time!

Comment

• Actually, I'd say that the rules in soccer were far more specific than the rules in Rugby. There's the whole 'Advantage' law that the Springboks were able to take advantage of on Saturday there, unfortunately for Scotland. However, there are far less rules in Footy than there are in Rugby, I'd say.

Comment

• Thanks. I started thinking about all the penalties you can acquire in rugby - scrum, lineout, ruck, maul, general play offsides, so thought soccer might have a less structured system for a ref happy on the whistle. (Although they still seem to have no problem using it often.)

Commiserations on what sounds like was a loss for Scotland. Springboks. I always go for whatever team is playing them. We're playing Ireland this weekend and then the Tri-Nations starts in July so lots of Bok-hating to look forward to. Missing out on some international rugby games is the biggest regret I have in not having cable TV.

England can have him. The Wallabies have never suffered as many losses as under that man. First internationals since he was sacked resulted in two wins (v. England).

Comment

• The last inning of last night's World Series game was interesting.....considering that this is pretty well the only time I ever watch baseball.

Comment

Working...
                                X