Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I still have nothing important to say: The randomness thread.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow, I'm SO jealous - I've had 3 summers off in the past 6 years due to a move and two maternity leaves and this summer, I'm really wistful for some more time. My kids are 4 and 1 and I've got a commute that runs me anywhere from 25 minutes to an hour each way and it feels like a draaaaaag right now. That said, we cannot afford our life without my salary and I think I would go crazy being at home all the time if my maternity leaves were any indication. I'd love to go part time but it's just not possible right now - if you can swing it, it seems like it might be the best way. I'm in a working mom's group on fbook and people talk about it all the time - going down to .8 seems pretty common, but also being expected to contribute 100% at 80% of the salary, which DOESN'T seem ideal. IIRC, you're in healthcare and might be able to work fewer shifts (?!), which seems like the way to go to actually be able to leave work at work and enjoy your time at home! I'd do it if I could FOR SURE!

Comment

• I split my time between clinic and the office now that I've moved into advanced practice, so part time for me would probably be two clinic days and one administrative day. I still work at my dad's clinic, but really only when they're swamped and I can still do that. And we are in a very fortunate position in that we don't need my income. We'd have to adjust just like any other family that goes down to one salary, but we'd be fine.

Mr. Issie and I have made a shaky deal that I'll take the time between now and our next trip in August for me to make a decision and then if I decide to go part-time, I can use the fall as an extended transition period so that my doc can either replace me with another full timer or partner me with another mid-level to cover his clinic.

I think I'm just mostly surprised by how much I like domesticity? Maybe it's a phase and I'll find it tedious after a while, but these past weeks have been AMAZING.

Comment

• I mean, it sounds so ideal. My one real hang up would be the other moms - I know myself and I know that SAHMommying can get a little crazy/status-y in CT, so in some ways (despite feeling pressed for time, like always), I feel like it gives me an out from all the pinterest parent stuff I see on my facebook at times.

Comment

• COME BACK TO ME, ISSIE.

Also? I always knew SAHM shit was a scam b/c the SAHMs have time for Pinterest and internet and all kinds of shit. Once your kid is potty trained? You got time. /COME AT ME SAHM! I don't even care!
          6 YEAR COMMITMENT TO THE PAIN OF SHIPPING DE. I DONT COMMIT TO MY OWN LIFE AS MUCH DO YOU UNDERSTAND

Comment

• Well, if you have a housekeeper, you do have time. But if you have to do the house stuff, not that much time, no. (It depends of how much a cleanness nazi you are, though).
            sigpic

Comment

• Now that I'm working part-time, I've transitioned into one of those moms who wear workout clothes ALL the time unless they absolutely have to wear something else. Basically, if I'm not in running leggings, Mr. T asks why I'm dressed "fancy". I mean, it's whatever, but this is my life now.

Comment

• So you did take the part time job! Good for you.
                sigpic

Comment

• Your wardrobe is living the dream for me.

Comment

Working...
                  X