Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I still have nothing important to say: The randomness thread.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The boiler in my aprtment building broke down yesterday. No note from the Super when I got home from work, nothing left on the machine. But at 9:30 p.m. one of the guys from the heating/plumbing repair crew comes around and says he'll be back to bleed the rads in 2 hours.
    Still no heat this morning.
    But a bit of good news - a friend is bringing her baby in to work for a visit today.

I've never stolen gas but I did run over the foot of some crazy that was trying to stop me from leaving a station once.

Comment

• Um, sarah, I think that is FUCKED UP.

Couldn't they just put sketches of the people up? I mean, what if that was a missing family member of yours? You have to wade through the photos of corpses to find them? Jebus!@
      Its just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• I'm just always amazed that someone can become so isolated in life that either no one knew they are/were missing or that the local police and FBI don't share information properly. I understand some crimes never get solved, but they should at least be able to identify the victim.

I think it's unsettling. We always talked about how many bodies are out in the Nevada desert hidden among the "secret" underground nukes.

Comment

• I'm also amazed that the pump even turned on if your card didn't go through. And even more amazed that they went through that much trouble for $10. I mean it's not like we're talking Thelma & Louise or anything.

And know that I know Sarah's link has pictures of corpses, I think I'll be skipping that one.

Comment

• Actually, that link is just the news story the Chron ran and you can link to the CC Coroner's site from there if you want. Nothing grisly on my link though.

Comment

• Having a fireplace has totally turned me into a 12 yr. old boy. I want to burn everything not nailed down when I have a fire going.
              "But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.---Kanye

Comment

• I so want a fireplace!

<-- heat has been out for 3 days now.

Comment

• BWAH you in Can-a-dah without one and me in the SunBelt with one. Crazy.

I threw one of those free AOL cd's in there last night! Very nice and clean burning. Who knew?
                  "But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.---Kanye

Comment

• I made my own fireplace the other day: a bunch of pillar candles all grouped together and burning away.
                    Didn't warm the room up at all. hee.

Comment

• You could always get a cast iron cauldron.

Comment

• Three days without heat? Here I'd freeze to death. I think it's about time to threaten legal action or calling of city inspectors. That's ridiculous.

(Though I'm familiar with the non-notification of things by apt. manager types. Any notification we happen to get is a memo written so poorly I swear my cat could do better. Do these people not have access to a spellchecker?)

Speaking of my cat, he's now effectively a girl. He had emergency surgery on Wednesday, came home last night, and will soon have his name changed to Houdini because he's so good at wiggling out of his Elizabethan collar (3 times in 24 hours). We're both pretty traumatized. I was especially so when the surgery place demanded a $1000 deposit. Who can come up with that on the spot? And in what universe does "deposit" equal "majority of cost of procedure"? Sorry, I can't pay you! I'll take my cat home to die now, thanks. I had a meltdown in their office. I was especially angry because I had called them before I went over there and asked about amount/deposit policy. No reason they couldn't tell me, since they knew why he was referred there and what the procedure would be. But they refused to tell me, preferring to wait until they had me in their clutches as an emotional basket case. I had to call in reinforcements, i.e., the boy.

He must really love me, that's all I can say.

Anyway, cat's home, sleeps a lot. We're both still recovering.

Comment

• Aww! Poor Rath, boy, and kitty.

My cat had some serious virus and a high fever last year and the vet bill was astronomical. I think it ended up being several hundred bucks after all the testing and medications. Then there was the added fun of shoving medicine and vitamins down its throat every four hours.

Comment

• Yeah, I'm pretty much a cat nurse now. But thank god I don't have to give him that stupid pill anymore. That was a nightmare. We're just back to the liquid antibiotic twice a day. He still hates me for it, but at least there's no foaming at the mouth or trying to bite my hand off.

As for cost? I'd be glad to have a bill that's only a couple hundred bucks. Kitty's been to the emergency vet twice and the regular vet three times since the end of November. Two of those visits involved catheters and IVs. Then the surgery (in which they also had to do a urethral repair--he had a TEAR! Ow!), and at least one follow-up visit in a couple of weeks. Though the surgery and related costs make up most of it, we're easily past the $2000 mark. I'm afraid to add it up. I'm broke and I owe everybody money. I know my boss (who is not a pet person) thinks I am insane.

But I made a commitment to him when I took him in, and he helped me live through grad school, and he's only 5. The alternative was either to put him to sleep or let him die an eventual, slow, painful death from kidney failure. And when it's something that can be fixed relatively easily, and when he should have many years ahead of him? Well, what can you do?

Comment

• See, if you asked me if I'd be willing to pay thousands to ensure the health and well-being of my cats I'd probably say "it depends/probably not" but I'd be lying. Hee!

I had a cat that stayed in the vet's for almost two weeks getting blood transfusions and a veritable flush and fill after drinking anti-freeze in the driveway! Hee! And he went on to live for years! I loved that cat! Luckily, I was living in Flint at the time and everything there is cheap, cheap, cheap!

Mr. Is just put a contract bid together for this vet's office that is kerr-azy swank! They are going to be networked with crazy mad high-end computer shit. They're going to have TV and DVD players in every office so they can show you a DVD about your pet's illness/procedure!

They are going to have a special waiting room with a plasma TV so you can -- I'm not kidding -- watch your little Fluffy having surgery!

Its just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• Holy crap. Imagine how much it will cost to take your pet there.

It reminds me of what I heard about the Crufts dog show where the Best In Show was later disqualified because they discovered it had had plastic surgery.

Comment

Working...
                                X