Work Hell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dilemma:

After being out of work for a while now. I just started a new, fabu job this week. In my field and pays well. Hurray, right?

Argh. I get a call today that the OTHER job I interviewed (and interviewed!) for over the course of several months wants me now too! Job B is NOT in my field, but is closer to home, and will pay several, several thousands more per year!

BOTH are flexible on hours and laid-back. Job B would require me to wear suits everyday though whereas Job A is business casual.

Advice, bitches. Please.
    "But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.Ē---Kanye

Comment

It's nice to have such problems, yes?

The real question is if you want to do the work that's not in your field. If you don't mind then take the money! If you want to build a career in a certain direction and Job A can help get you there in the long term (while covering your expenses in the short term) then stick with it.

I'm having a similar issue. I got a job offer today, too! Ha! So it would be right downtown (so my husband and I might actually do fun things in the city after work), I could take the train (resulting in about $140 in gas savings per month--that's AFTER paying for the monthly train card), and it would mean several thousand more than I currently make. Oh, and I get my life back--I would get home literally an hour earlier than I now do! All wins, yes?

Loses include benefits--I have awesome benefits right now and this is a very small company so no 401k or 401k matching, no dental or vision, and mediocre vacation time (not that big a deal since I already work for stingy-on-vacation types already). And I could just get on Mr. Is's benefits (which have open enrollment this month!) and just roll all my random retirement accounts into one and put my own money in as I please.

So the real kicker is that it's almost exactly what I did in Detroit and I'm easily bored. And I get a lot of ego gratification when I walk into the book store and see a book I worked on sitting out. And the writing and editing I would be doing at this place would be all fluffy pointless advertorial content, blah, blah, blah...no ego gratification.

Eh, I'm probably taking it if they meet my counter salary offer. It turns out I'm greedy. And it's in SUCH A GOOD LOCATION! The Body Shop is less than a block away! I can soothe my boredom with banana shampoo!
      Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

I vote for Neo to keep the job in her field. I don't know anyone else who works in their field! It makes you special.

As for isadora . . .are the people at the new job less crazy than the people at your current job? Because the stories you tell about your current job make them sound insane. I'd go for whoever is the least overall crazy.

Comment

I seem to be the type of employee that is highly desirable in the "crazy" market! Hee!

One thing that was flattering was that these peeps were all over me with a quickness. I sent them my writing test and I had a job offer in less than four hours. Hee! I thought they were calling for references so I was completely caught off guard. I was like: Oh, um, okay. I mean, uh, can I get back to you?

It was odd.
          Last edited by isadora; 05-07-2008, 11:23 PM.
          Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

I vote new job for Is, and same job for Neo.

Unless of course you're going to be a poorly paid, no promotion prospects worker in your field.

As for pensions, I'm of the opinion that you can't rely on your employers for your pension payments: Better to retain control of your own pension if you can. They will screw you over it eventually. Of course, free contributions don't hurt, but I'm not sure these days I'd make it a sticking reason. Benefits change like the wind when the economics make a downturn. The company I work for used to offer the best level of benefits in the city - ain't so no more.

eta: And - you've got a ready made contribution of $140 a month already!!

Comment

What Is, Ophy and Ginni said! Seems like it would be good to stay in the current place Neo. And Is, if you're downtown it might make it easier for you to find another more fabulous job. You also just need to get the hell out of your current toxic environment!

I too am thinking of switching positions, within in the same office though. I'd be basically switching from health/transportation issues back to environmental issues - essentially getting back to my original academic roots! Something familiar but with a new set of challenges. I think it would be great.

Speaking of retirement, I seriously do not expect any Social Security payments when I retire. Not gonna happen. I should up the contribution I'm making to my 401K, but I just bought a house and had a kid. Aint all that much $$ to spare right now, but you better believe I'm contributing 5% since the FedGov matches up to 5%! Free money. Woo hoo!
              It's all about me and my precious.

Comment

Neo, what did you do???

I took the new job! Whoo hoo! Start June 2. Thanks for the advice, bitches!

Comment

I asked Job B for time to think about it. Seriously though, the intervew process for this job started almost THREE months ago. I asked for WAY too much money and then they even went over that insane figure by a few grand. The chances of getting a job in my field if I stayed at Job B for awhile would be next to nil though, I think.

Job A also has free, I repeat FREE, dental coverage after the first of the year. INSANITY! The market where I'm at is crazy right now. Everyone is getting laid off and there just are no jobs really.

I'm pretty sure I'm staying put but I am not looking forward to making the phone call. It's going to be haaaaaard to walk away from that money after the year of medical bill hell I've been through.
                  "But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.Ē---Kanye

Comment

It's really hard not to follow the money so I feel ya! I am giving up really good benefits to work downtown. I have vision! That's like the holy grail! And free short-term disability (which nobody uses but when you need it you NEED it).

Apparently easy access to over-priced retailers and free concerts in the park is very important to me.

Comment

I turned it down.

As I was walking into my job this morning, I was thinking about how the monthly difference would be enough to pay our monthly gasoline bill, considering how far we live from work and the stepmunchkin.

Our gas bill is now about half as much as our rent. I neeeeed to live somewhere with the ability to ride a train in to work!

Comment

Gas is officially $4/gallon in Chicago. It cost me $68 to fill my tank yesterday! That said, now that I will be taking the train it will cost me roughly $68 to commute for the entire month! Woot!

Comment

When it hits $8 a gallon, then we'll talk.

Why do you think we all drive itty-bitty cars? Apart from my wife who just bought a big-ass bus thing.

Comment

That may be so but your country is only like as big as Chicagoland!

Ooh, take that! Hee!

Comment

But so much pretty! Pretty and compact. Like, uh, someone other than me?

Comment

So are you saying her country is tiny?

[/12 year old]

Seriously though, gas went up 14 cents since yesterday. YESTERDAY!
                                Motherfers! I can't deal!

The person who WOULD have been my boss called and left me a message yesterday. I'm scared to check it. I'm skerrred he may offer me more money! GAH!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X