No announcement yet.

Living HGTV: Home Improvement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Were they trying to make it look like cedar? And like horribly miscalculated?
    Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• Yeah, I'm not convinced I'll like the beads in the end, but it's a cheap investment and if I don't like them, I will take them down and have an empty doorway! No problem!

Comment

• I bought a Rust-oleum Cabinet Transformation Kit!

I'm gonna go from dingy old brown to bright, crisp white (allegedly).

LIKE SO:
        Image is HUGE but so like this: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-3o_jM3efL9...Untitled-1.jpg
        Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• OMB are you planning to go white with the cabinets? I want to stain way lighter, but I am too lazy to sand and blah. It's still granny cabinets til we die.

Comment

• I am planning to go from brown to white. I want to "test" it out because I want to do a full gut rehab in a year or two but can't wait to get rid of my fug 60s kitschen. The Rustoleum kit promises no sanding. WE SHALL SEE.

Comment

• Let me know how that goes for you! I've been eyeballing that kit for a while but have put off trying it because of laziness reasons.

Comment

• So far things have gone very well! I opted to prime the cabinets after deglossing (I have old 1960s wood that was extremely grimy, IMO, and I didn't want to end up having to paint it like 10 times over to cover any stains, etc.). So I did two layers of kilz because I'm a nut and then today I did two layers of the "bond" coat. I chose to go with Pure White and it's all well and good except my countertops are white in places (we have two temporary pieces with wood tops from Ikea and then two small counters that are old white Corian).

So I'll put a top coat on the cabinet frames tonight and see how that goes.

The issue I have now is how to live with the white COUNTERTOPS--or better yet how to improve them with a paint/top coat? Has anybody seen any cool temporary fixes for that? I do plan to do a guy rehab in a couple of years but why shouldn't I enjoy it now for a small investment of time and money? Eh?
                Last edited by isadora; 07-01-2014, 06:01 PM.

Comment

• I know nothing of paint or topcoats, but love the idea of a brightly painted kitchen so the white cabinets *pop* . Something like this:

When (actually more like *if*) I ever get around to painting the cabinets I would love to paint the inside with chalkboard pain like THIS

ETA: Isadora, if you're not super attached to the white corian counters could you just switch the tops to match the others? That would help break up all the white.
                  Last edited by gloopdygleep; 07-01-2014, 04:57 PM. Reason: fixed link

Comment

• That red and white kitchen! I love it SO MUCH. Now you all make me want to redo my kitchen!

Comment

• I have actually been seriously considering the chalkboard interiors AND I want to do this:

The red is GORGEOUS but it would not fit in my house at all. Howevah! I am seriously considering a bright and shiny apple green in the few spaces that could be painted. I can not talk Mr. Is into the open shelving in the kitchen. He's viscerally against it!

So I effed up in my post above! I need to refinish my white COUNTERS. I'm happy with the white cabinets! D'oh.

Anyway, eventually we'll do a soapstone in dark grey but I have to wait until we do our gut rehab in like the future. Boo. So I've been researching cheap/quick techniques and it turns out there are pricey/crazy techniques but that you can also just PAINT them and put either a simple acrylic finish OR go big with a thick pour-on plastic that self-settles.

BUT SO FAR, this is my FAVE:
                      Chalk Paint Countertops (NOT to be confused with Chalkboard Paint, which is also an option but I think it would scratch up too easily).
                      SERIOUSLY THO:

She doesn't give a lot of pics of her projects (which makes me think everything out of frame is a hotttt messss but still this is basically exactly what I want (minus the stencil).

Comment

• Oh a green kitchen would be gorgeous with the white cabinets!

I could NEVER have open shelving for things I actually use in my kitchen because of cat hair/dog hair/spiders/dust/mismatched dishes reasons so I'm with Mr. Is on that one.

I love the look of those Chalk Paint Countertops.

Comment

• Ooh, the apple green is so fun! Our kitchen is a lame soft green because our cabinets are old school orangey wood. Blah. But I still want to cover our ancient fridge with chalkboard paint.

My cousin recently used a paint-and-seal kit to take their countertops from white to black and the results were pretty amazing.

And word, open shelving looks so classy, but adding more things to dust is my house nightmare.
                          Last edited by LaaLaa; 07-02-2014, 12:57 AM.

Comment

• In my old house I had glass-fronted cabinets, with some super-bright multi-colored dishes in them that matched the tile of the backsplash. It looked great and served the purpose of looking open yet not requiring that much dusting.

Comment

• CHALKBOARD PAINT COUNTERTOPS.

ACK.

Love them. I also really love the chalkboard paint interiors. Our kitchen pantries are Ikea closets painted in chalkboard paint, and they have held up really well. It's been 7 yrs, and they are only now starting to chip around the edges. That's with really hard wear and tear from two kiddos, too.

Comment

• The only thing holding me back from the chalkboard paint countertops is the waxing! It requires regular upkeep (like every couple of months?!) and waxing is not that easy, or so the internet tells me.

Of course, they say painting cabinets isn't that easy but I actually didn't think this was a tough project at all so far.

Comment

Working...
                                X