No announcement yet.

Living HGTV: Home Improvement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You have inspired me; I spent time today pricing out painting my cabinets and getting a counter-top that's not grey. I shopped a little for appliances, but of course they are all steel grey, which I already have and want to be brighter. My upstairs neighbor who has lovely taste has promised to come down and help me think about this.

Comment

• We have this mini range in our kitchen which pops against the other chrome appliances.

http://www.stoves.co.uk/media/517219...42900-hero.jpg

There are a variety of colours here although it looks like they're only available in the UK.

http://www.stoves.co.uk/products/coo...dfw/444442900/
      Last edited by scientologyguru; 07-03-2014, 11:35 PM.

Comment

• I love that! I wish we could get sassy appliances.
        Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• Haven't been able to nono lately because we decided to finally paint the whole fucking basement, and it had to be legit primed because it's all 1970s wood paneling. BLERG. (drinks another Corona) I'm, like, cursing Young House Love and their cutesy, pastel-colored, fuck-up-less blog posts. They sit on an adorable throne of lies.

Comment

• UGH, priming and painting. I feel you.

I had to paint the (FUCK TON) of trim in my family room SIX TIMES to get it white. It was this dark-ass wood and was yellow through primer and two coats of paint. So I had to slather Kilz on the THREE COATS I already had on that shit. And then paint a coat and a half of latex on top of that. It was hell.
            Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• OMB reading that made me want to weep. We Kilz errything whether it needs it or not because of that very reason.

So the room is long and narrow like a bowling lane, so we're doing the short walls in a light-medium grey and one of the long walls in medium grey (Sherwin Williams - Dovetail). The other long wall we're leaving wood... I'm praying it'll look "dark-cozy" and not "perpetual emo shadow."

Comment

• Since I am kind of an idiot about decorating, I am coming to you all for opinion. I am going to look at replacing the floors in my living room and kitchen (which are currently the lowest-quality engineered hardwood available, and get dinged up by me side-eying them), and I am considering cork because cork is awesome. I don't know if I can afford it this year (having bought a new car and that expensive mattress), but I want to start looking. Here's the thing, I think because my living room and kitchen are so open to each other, that I have to do the same floor in each, but I wish I didn't have to, because I want a more kitchen-y look in the kitchen. I'm putting a picture in so you can get an idea. This was taken standing in the living room, looking toward the kitchen, which is the other side of that brick wall.

Should I just stick to the same flooring in both rooms?

WP_20150508_001

Comment

• You don't have to use the same flooring, IMO! It'll still feel open, but you could keep both materials in the same color fam if it makes you feel better about it. I've heard bamboo flooring can be super durable and looks kitchen-y. Pros and cons of bamboo and cork
                  Last edited by LaaLaa; 05-08-2015, 07:05 PM.

Comment

• First thing: I love your brick walls!

Second: I agree with Laa. The wood in the floors that you have runs in different directions in the living room and the kitchen so I think you could get away with a different flooring in the kitchen if you stay within the same color family.

Third: I love your furniture.

Comment

• I have almost the same situation between my living room and kitchen and don't have the same floor for each, so I definitely think that you can have different kinds. Also, LOVE the brick walls.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Thank you all! I feel free now!

And thank you for the compliments on the walls and stuff. I love my condo * infinity; I was lucky to find it.

Comment

• I'm gonna third or fourth or whatever what everyone is saying about the flooring. It should be okay to be different. We had seriously considered cork in our kitchen, but our contractor flat out refused. He said he'd seen humidity ruin (warp) too many cork floors over time in our area, and the same for bamboo. But I doubt that applies to your part of the country the same way it does to ours.

Still, I would check with someone local and see if they have laid a lot of floors in either material to make sure there aren't any potential long term issues. Just in case.

Comment

• Oh, good point; I will ask around. We have fairly humid summers, but not like in the south.

Comment

• I do like your condo especially the space and walls. American apartments seem so much more spacious than ones here in the UK and more interesting.

Comment

• I had missed the comment you made, zeitghost, but thank you! My condo is in a renovated church and rectory, so it has a lot of character.

I am delaying the floor purchasing for later this year (I hope), because I decided that since I want a new fridge and stove, I should get those first. Sears should be bringing those next Saturday - yay! I am in a flurry of home improving - this weekend I finally took down the mirrored closet doors in my bedroom. I am going to try curtains for those closets, which I am told by Pinterest is all the rage these days. And if I don't like it, I can always put in other doors, though not the mirrored ones, because that just doesn't work for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X