No announcement yet.

Living HGTV: Home Improvement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well my current house has now gone up for rent as I am becoming an evil landlord (I think I would do the evil well tbh) http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-50141641.html

I still haven't got a move in date to my new apartment yet as solicitors are haggling (as they do). Once I move in I have to buy a ton of new stuff including a new big fridge/freezer (I currently have an American style one) as I'm leaving the current one for new tenants. I am so desperate to move now. Also getting the keys to my new studio next week which is about 12 miles away from the new apartment but over 2 hours drive from my current house.

Right back to packing (or throwing stuff out - how much crap did I accumulate it's silly) and I have removal guys coming round to do furniture removal quotes today.

Comment

• The problem with home improving is that once you start, you just can't stop. I got my new fridge and stove, and they make me happy, but this weekend I almost talked myself into painting my cabinets. I am going to get quotes on that, once I figure out what color(s) I want to paint. I am very happy with the curtains in place of mirrored closet doors, though now I have to buy a standing mirror.

I am also gathering Pinterest ideas for the bathroom, because I want to take out the fiberglass (plastic-looking) shower enclosure and do a frameless one with tile on the walls. Which makes me want to retile all of the bathroom, because the bland beige tile in there is making me sad.

Also I bought two new ceiling fans, so I have to get an electrician in soon.

Who knows when I am going to be able to afford the new floors at this pace!
      Last edited by vanessa; 05-31-2015, 04:45 PM.

Comment

• You sound like my mother - she repaints the walls in one room and realises it makes the ceiling look grubby, so paints the ceiling. Then she realises that the next room now looks dowdy in comparison so has to go and paint that one - it's a self perpetuating cycle

Comment

• I went to IKEA to get a standing mirror, and I did get that, but I also spent a considerable amount of time falling in love with the kitchen cabinets. I love IKEA kitchens, with their futuristic styling and their crisp sliding drawers. I WANT.

Comment

• We have an Ikea kitchen! Nine years later, still in great shape. Easy to put together and install, too.

Comment

• I'm hitting IKEA as soon as I move for new bookcases but I love their kitchens and my new kitchen could do with more shelves or an addition as the lounge/kitchen is all one room.

Annoyed with the renting out of my house atm - it's being rented as unfurnished (though people can ask for certain items to remain if they want) - the first people to view gave the feedback it was cluttered! No shit Sherlock I am currently in the middle of packing of course it's cluttered - there are boxes everywhere.

Comment

• My sister rented out her house a few times. I'm not sure what some people are thinking - one potential tenant said she wouldn't rent unless carpeting was installed (we had just put down new flooring in 2 bdrms & living room) and the kitchen cabinets were updated. Hello! you're renting, not buying. when we told her no she pouted like a little kid.
                One tenant asked if she could paint - we said ok, as long as the colours were neutral. OMG - when she moved out one bedroom was eggplant purple, the bathroom was a garish robin's egg blue.

Comment

• Well I finally exchanged contracts yesterday and complete the sale next Friday on my new flat. Then have to book a day to actually move. I took my current house off the rental market until I actually do move as potential tenants were driving me mad though I do have one couple who made a rental offer. I have so much stuff to get rid of - a rack of bookcases (about 8 of them), a bedroom suite, my computer desks as I am downsizing a bit and want to keep the furniture to blacks to match the new place. Hoping Heart Foundation will take it all. Going to miss my 5 bedrooms and three storeys (and my massive en suite as the new one is smaller) but not going to miss driving here each day, garden (I hate gardening) and the next door neighbours annoying children.

Comment

• My SIL's mother moved into a retirement home and I am on a decluttering binge.
                    How are those related, you may ask? SIL's (95 year old) Mom lived in a 3 bedroom home by herself - - for about the past 45 years or so, after her husband left her & the SIL and her brother had gone off to school.
                    Thank god this woman was a neat freak - - her hoarding didn't look bad. But OMG - cleaning out the place! For the a month prior to the move her son was there doing a preliminary decluttering, then another run thru when the house went on the market and had to be staged, then the big pack & move to a different part of the province. We got rid of a lot of stuff when prepping for the move, and since she moved into the residence we've been going thru & donating & giving away stuff.
                    Which is why I'm decluttering. She gave me a few little things: her sewing kit, some kitchenware and a couple end tables.
                    But I was just amazed at the amount of stuff she had - and I didn't see it until after a lot of it had been gotten rid of. so that made me take a new look at my own stuff. every couple days, for the past few weeks, it seems I take at least one bag of stuff to donate. And I realize how good I am at packing stuff up and stuffing it in closets. so much stuff! oy

Comment

• OMG I AM SO FIXATED ON DOWNSIZING.

Like I hate 50% of our possessions and just want to put everything on the curb. But Mr. Is is a total low-level hoarder and it makes me insane.

I had a dream last night about all this stuff I have (weirdly, it was a room FILLED with stuff I no longer have!) and I was just packing and packing and packing and miserable! It was a relief to wake up.

ETA: Also, weirdly, one of my FAVE things about how ownership is that you can set just about ANYTHING on the curb and somebody will come by and take it.
                      Last edited by isadora; 06-27-2015, 10:18 PM.
                      Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• I went from a 4-bedroom house to a 1-bedroom condo and couldn't be happier with it. My new rule is that when anything comes into here, something has to leave. It's so freeing to not have all that stuff! I had dinner a few months ago with my ex - who still lives in that 4-bedroom house - and he was so envious of my ability to pare it down to just the essentials.

Comment

• My mother is a hoarder for reals. I know I have a fraction of that tendency in me, too, and my crafting shit usually piles up in one room that's easy to close off, so I try to keep it in check every few months.

Comment

• Is - I had a decluttering/packing dream the other night too!
                            Laa - I cull thru my craft stuff too. Right now I am working up the nerve to go thru my embroidery stuff. It has been a while since I've done any needlecrafts but I find it difficult to let go of because of the connection to my mom.

Yesterday my sister decided to bake some fancy apple cake. Reading over the instructions she looked up at me and said, "You made me get rid of my Bundt cake pan."
                            yeah - totally blame me. Comes to find out - I "made" that happen 6 years ago. This is the first time I can remember her ever needing that cake pan.

Comment

• Oh, craft stuff is impossible to part with. I might need that shit!
                              Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• I keep finding things in the back of cupboards that I haven't used since I moved to this house 8 years ago. I then have to talk to myself very firmly to get rid of it as if I haven't used in 8 years then I probably don't need it - I mean I found a fondue set yesterday which I think I last used 10 years ago and a juicer which I haven't used in years. Must throw these things out.

Comment

Working...
                                X