No announcement yet.

Living HGTV: Home Improvement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's nothing to show a pic of unless you love primer white.

Mr. Is took today off and took from 7:30 till 11:30 to paint just the ceiling of the family room. And he used up the entire gallon and still had about 1/5 of the ceiling to go.

It's like an episode of The Office here today: Lots of tight smiles and looking off to the camera in disbelief.

He put more flat white paint on our PRIMED ceiling than I did gray paint on the walls of my office--and I painted inside the closets!--and then explained that it was probably too thin in parts and would need a second coat. Because he could SEE where it was thin (I could not see and quietly wished he would have "passed" that OCD test so I could medicate this particular insanity out of him. HOW DID HE NOT GET A RED FLAG DURING THE OCD TEST? HOW?!

I'm pretty much going to ask him to cut in the ceiling (because that will take all weekend and my job would NEVER pass his inspection) and then slap the paint up on the walls next Monday.

He's driving me batty, basically.
    Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

You guys! Our graphic designer friend did us a super solid and created a line drawing of our house in Illustrator and we're going to use it for our Christmas card! I'm geeked!

Check out this awesome piece of art because I am DYING of excitement over it!

The front porch lines are not exactly right but we have these enormous, hideous bushes all around the front that I desperately want to get rid of so he had to guess at what the porch looks like.
      Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

Okay, that's super duper cool.

You going to watercolor xmas trees or snowmen into the yard? Maybe a wreath on the door?

NEEDS MOAR XMAS.

Comment

Love that! And I meant a picture of the darker gray. Hee.

A friend of the boy told his Mrs. he's scared of what he'll become when they start working on their house. I told him he's right to be. Buying a house that requires reno = getting bitten by an OCD zombie. It's just a matter of time.

Comment

Oh, dudes. You have no idea. It's like War of the Roses up in here.

We're going to gut the kitchen and Mr. Is wants to make the cabinets himself. *cries* I don't know if I can survive this, let alone my sacred union.

ETA: Oh, yeah, we gotta Christmas it up a little bit!

Comment

You can not let him do the cabinets, what are you thinking!? You will have no storage for like 2 years until he has perfected every last groove on each cabinet door. I need you to picture your cats crawling around your dishes and having to wash pet fur off every time you want to get a glass of water. That is no way to live.

Also, thank you for reminding me to make out with Mr. Issie tonight for being the, "Um, can't we hire somebody?" alternative. Sometimes that particular trait in him can drive me batshit, but when it comes to home reno, it's my saving grace.

Comment

Even his mother pulled me aside and said: You can NOT allow this!

And I was like: I'm working several angles right now... (one is that his friend bought his cabinets--at a big box store no less!--and installed them himself and Mr. Is was very surprised at this! Like everybody just figures they will make their own!? Ha!) (another is that I am trying to push the idea that custom cabinetry will be acceptable and that he can install it himself so that he can actually spend his time on more exciting projects, like making a bed or a coffee table--things with more artistry!).

Comment

Those are both great angles!

And there is always the Lysistrata solution. Just sayin'.

mr.o is a BIG fan of Ikea cabinets. He's installed four Ikea kitchens in his time, and they are easy peasy and so much cheaper/better than big box.

Comment

I feel all your home renovations pain. If it's in your budget, I would definitely get a couple of quotes on custom cabinets.

I lived in a 30 year-old 20' itty-bitty camper for a year with my hubs and two dogs (and kids on weekends) while we built our house after work/on weekends. We didn't want carpet/tile. Instead of using a contractor, we stained the concrete ourselves. OMB, I have never wanted to kill my husband more than in those two weeks it took us to clean the concrete (repeatedly), apply the stain (repeatedly), clean the concrete (repeatedly). It was exhausting and terrible. The whole experience is one I never want to relive. When he started in on wanting to make our own cabinets, I lost my shit. I just could not do it. I was all, "Do you see what we just went through to stain this fucking concrete you said would be so easy?" Sometimes, it's just better for the marriage to pay someone.

Comment

OMG. I could not survive that and I'm really all keen on DIY but this has been a misery so far. Mostly because my husband seems to think of himself as the foreman and I'm a day laborer. "Move these things out of here so I can do X!" "Wait, you're doing everything wrong, lemme show you."

Let's just say the evening started with: You're not a professional painter so get over yourself...and went downhill from there!

Also? I would give ANYTHING to just go to Ikea and call it a day but a friend told Mr. Is that Ikea's products are shit (and granted MANY of them are) and he would never even consider looking at them except to tell me all the ways they are not quality construction. Even though we know people with Ikea cabinets that have used them for years and look just fine. Every time I suggest Ikea for anything he almost groans in pain.

Comment

Have you put Ikea in your own house? I might be able to sway him on that! Or perhaps a rental house? That would speak to durability.

Comment

Ikea cabinets are super well made. Our contractor recommends them to everyone!

What you need is for *one* professional who mr.is trusts to echo chamber everything you have been saying/want him to do.

eta
                          Have you put Ikea in your own house? I might be able to sway him on that! Or perhaps a rental house? That would speak to durability.
                          We put them in our condo in NY, and our house here. We haven't put them in any of our rentals, because we didn't have to redo the cabinets in any of them. But! mr.o has installed them in other people's houses for Habitat for Humanity and other projects. He won't use anything else.

You can tell him that our renovation project cost over $400k, and our kitchen cost around $100k to build (because it was a new addition), and yet our contractor still insisted we get Ikea cabinets. It wasn't about cost, it was all about ease and quality.
                          Last edited by ophy; 11-21-2012, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the heads-up! I will tell him (after this unpleasantness passes).

For Laa:

Gray walls, pink ceiling, adorable painting I intend to hang in the room somewhere.

Odd angle, I know, but it's the only direction I could get my phone to resolve the color properly.

Comment

Yay, perfect combo! Works SO well with that painting.

cajun, you just answered every question I had about the supposed ease of staining concrete. This blog where a chick painted her daughter's concrete bedroom floor with exterior paint is actually one of the reasons we decided to paint our old linoleum. But yeah, I saw a YouTube video made by a professional concrete stainer that made the process look tedious as hell.

Comment

I need a vacay from Mr. Is!

We got home from Michigan a few days ago and have been on a home improvement bender. I'm exhausted and can't wait for him to get back to work!

We spent 13 hours yesterday putting up trim in the family room and my office. He wants to put new trim in every room as we go because it looks crisp and neat (and it does) but OMG. He does not do shortcuts, pepole! So it's all custom cuts and perfect 45 degree angles and carving out pieces by hand. And putting in filler putty so we don't have to just glob paint over any holes--I talked him out of putting putty in every nail hole along the trim throughout the family room. I mean, you really can't see the nail holes unless you are inspecting it FOR nail holes after you paint it. Eeeks. Actually, I primed and painted the trim before we ever installed so once he put it up I just had to go behind him and paint over the holes and corners and simply feather it in.

So we have one window left to frame in the family room and I have to paint the wood around the sliding glass doors white to match the trim we put up around them. Once I do that I'll have to post a before and after because it's 95% different (the fugly carpet is still fugly).

But the room was alllll cedar wood angled paneling, long beige miniblinds, and a brown 70s ceiling fan. And the carpet is a weird indoor/outdoor looking berber that is flecked with shades of brown. It was a shit stain basically. Brown everything and dreary!

Now we just need to do the floors, get the sofa recovered, a new TV (we have a GIGANTIC old-school TV that is 3-feet thick that I can't justify throwing out because it works like a charm), and figure out what to do with the other half of the room. It's a huge space and I think I want to add a little table and chairs as a breakfast nook that faces the backyard. The old people who used to live here had a 6-person table in the space (in addition to a formal dining room 15-20 steps away!) and that was crazy. Made it feel cramped, for sure. That must have been the kids' table at Christmas.

Comment

Working...
                                X