Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vanessa
    replied
    I felt that way the 14 years I lived in my house in the suburbs. It was a beautiful house, and I loved it for that, but I never ever felt like I belonged in that environment. My current place feels like me in a way that never did,

Leave a comment:

• isadora
    replied
    I feel that way about the community here. Like it doesn't FIT ME AT ALL.

I had a cookout yesterday and one of my guests (grad school pal) said: I just can't believe YOU LIVE HERE. It's weird. It's all my husband's fault.

Leave a comment:

• ophy
    replied
    EVERYTHING IS FINE I AM NOT COMPLAINING . . . but this house doesn't FIT me. Our last house was customized to my hobbit proportions, and this new one seems designed for GIANTS. I can only reach the bottom shelf of the kitchen cabinets, so I can only access/put away 10% of the dishes, I can't brush my teeth in the sink without tippytoes and leaning so hard against the counter that I bruise my torso, I can only use the two bottom rails of my closet, and the shower head is so far above my head that there's no water pressure by the time it hits me, so my hair always looks dirty, and so forth. Either I'm too short or this house is too tall, and I think we all know the answer to that.

I'm going to have to give in and buy a step stool to drag around dagnabbit.

But I still hate my neighborhood and suburban life overall?

You know, we only moved to this partick suburb because every time we looked at a house here there were loads of jolly tykes gamboling and larking about the streets . . . and now that we moved here, my kids can't seem to find any kids at all to play with? They are used to being part of a neighborhood gang of ne'er-do-wells roaming from yard to yard all summer long, but this place is a ghost town so far. My kids are so bored. We've lived here almost a whole month and I've only met one neighbor . . . and her kids are in high school, so that's useless to me.

Starting to think the realtors hired small actors to flood the place while we were house shopping, and no real children live here at all.

Leave a comment:

• dada_teacher
    replied
    Eh, the house is not that important if you love the beach. I looooove the beach, so I'm actually kind of jealous right now.

Leave a comment:

• Laura
    replied
    Ophy! So glad you’ve surfaced!

Leave a comment:

• isadora
    replied
    Aw, I get it! Like I love our backyard now that we redid the entire thing and added a retaining wall and a patio (and lots and lots of expensive furniture, plants, etc.). But I still hate my neighborhood and suburban life overall?

But! You can just pretend you're on vacation forever and live out of suitcases. That seems like a solid plan for at least the rest of the summer.

Leave a comment:

• ophy
    replied
    Moving is the best!/worst! Everyone should do it!/not do it!

Two weeks in and the pros are that I have been able to go swimming every single day which I loooooove and that we go to the beach whenever we can which I also looooove, but the cons are that it's a thousand degrees here and also still living out of boxes in total chaos and way too much family togetherness so I never have time alone to futz around on the the interwebz and I don't actually like this house quite as much as I liked our old one so I'm really sad all the time and my dog is still dead and also we haven't sold the old house yet and so we have no money!

It's all GREAT/TERRIBLE!

Leave a comment:

• vanessa
    replied
    I am on week 7 or 8 of not being able to shower at my own house and I just need to primal scream. I am so lucky because my neighbor is in Florida for the winter and so I can use her shower, but still. Having to get dressed to walk down the hall to shower at somebody else’s condo is making me cray-cray.

It is almost done - everything but the shower glass. I hope I can make it another week.

Leave a comment:

• ophy
    replied
    DO NOT TRY TO SELL YOUR HOUSE WHILE YOU ARE STILL LIVING IN IT OMB DON'T DO IT.

Kinda super dumb to put our house on the market less than two weeks before Christmas! Our listing agent was basically like, 'okay now you have to keep the place looking like nobody actually lives here 24/7 because you never know when someone is going to request a showing" and I was all like, "Sure I can do that!" . . . but I CAN'T DO THAT. My kids are on Christmas break, and I have a stupid giant dog who pooped all over the house last night and I am a TERRIBLE house cleaning person anyway and CHRISTMAS IS IN 5 FUCKING DAYS and this was just a big ass mistake*.

*mr.o's idea! Our neighbor put his house on the market this month and mr.o got competitive about it. Grrrrr.

Also, if we actually do sell our house in the next couple of months, that's kind of bad because we have to stay in this town until school gets out in June?

Leave a comment:

• vanessa
    replied
    My kitchen turned out lovely and I am so happy, but the painter just finished, and still has to do the living room and I am so beekdamned tired of strangers in my house. Also my home equity line of credit is making me nervous (I hate debt), but now that the kitchen is so great I want to do the bathroom and get new wood floors.

Leave a comment:

• vanessa
    replied
    I love my tempurpedic and have no regrets.

Tonight when I got home one cat was stuck in a hole in the floor. Luckily he got himself out.

Leave a comment:

• ophy
    replied
    ORGANIC LATEX OR GTFO.

Leave a comment:

• isadora
    replied
    SO JEALOUS.

I want a new kitchen sooooo badly. Also, I desperately need a new sofa.

We did buy a new mattress last week but not one ophy would approve of.

Leave a comment:

• vanessa
    replied
    I came here to talk about my kitchen renovation, but seeing the last two posts makes me laugh in a very bitter way, because I did end up driving to DC to sit on a couch, and that ended with me not buying the one pictured above. Instead a got a sectional, and it was a year-long saga because the first one they sent was 2/3 in the correct fabric, and 1/3 in some wrong shit. Then they tried to send me just that wrong piece, but it didn't match. Then they sent me an entire new couch, but it arrived damaged. The fourth delivery it finally worked!

This is what they sent me the first time:

Anyway, I currently have no cabinets in my kitchen and just a big pipe where the old cabinets were. I am both excited and terrified to see what it's going to look like when it's done. Plus I don't like this mess, men being in my house while I am working, and the cats are freaking out. The new cabinet pieces (from IKEA) get delivered on the 14th, and I have no ETA on the custom doors and panels that some Amish dude is making to go with the cabinets.

Leave a comment:

• isadora
    replied
    Room & Board makes good shit so it is probably fine? How are there return policies for online shopping?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X