No announcement yet.

Writerly Pursuits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you know you're done with a first draft? I mean, I just don't even know for reals.
    Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• No kidding! That was tough for me, too.

I guess I knew I was done with the first draft of my dragon book when there was literally no scene to follow the last one. It just felt complete. I had roughed it all in really thoroughly beforehand, though, so I felt like as long I had a fleshed out scene for every section of my outline, the 1st draft was done. But! I was working towards that specific end scene all along. I knew what scene would end the book before I wrote the first chapter. If you don't have an obvious end scene in mind all along, that could make it trickier.

Comment

• I've already written the ending and an optional ending. Hmm. Maybe I should do an outline. Ha!
        Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• So easy to do in Scrivener! Seriously, Scrivener is awesome for people that really need to divide their thoughts into sections.

I can no longer imagine how I wrote nearly 200k words of fanfic without it.

Comment

• So I am finally at a point where I am feeling comfortable with this keyboard, and thinking that I can make some real progress (slow but real) and then some lovely person in my neighborhood decided to sell the empty lot across the street from where my new desktop/home office has been set up.

Wheee! SO MUCH CONSTRUCTION NOISE OMB.

They are going to build TWO houses over there and just got started this week and I'm already DYING. Their stupid trucks and backhoes were clearing the lots at 7:30AM this morning and will probably go until 5:30.

EVERY DAY UNTIL FOREVER.

There is no place I can go to get away!

Comment

• Oh, I feel you! When we first moved to Illinois and got settled into our (beloved and deeply missed by me) apartment in Oak Park our block was under construction for like two years. They built an entire block of row houses ACROSS THE STREET. They built a condo around the corner. They built an apartment complex on the back side of the block (with a Trader Joe's on the ground floor). Needless to say? We were covered in construction dust every time we opened the windows (and we had no central air) for months and months and months.

We both had 8-5 jobs then so we didn't have to put up with a ton of noise but when I first got laid off and started freelancing it was still going on and I was like: OMG. What if I'd been home every day for the last two years!?

Comment

• Thank beek this is only two houses, then!

But yeah, the timing really sucks for me. We just finished installing the laptop tray and setting everything up so perfect, and the spot we chose for all of it is the room closest to the construction and where it is def the loudest. I sit in front of a window that faces the workers. Also! I face into the driveway. Because of the construction, it's hard for cars to drive around, so they pull into our driveway to turn around and go back. I sat there for two hours this morning and had six cars pull up in front of me and then pull back out. A cop car sat there for *six* mins, with his HEADLIGHTS ON, shining right in my beekdamn face.

Gotta do some rethinking of my set up. This might go on for a year.

Comment

• Bah, that is no bueno! How about noise cancelling headphones? You can listen to movie scores as you write and give the construction workers across the street the finger.

Comment

• Thought of that (mr.o has some), but they are very hurty due to glasses reasons.

Wevs, this is a dumb thing to complain about when real people have real problems.

<--- has no real problems

Comment

• I know! Nick Miller it!

Comment

• Hee.

I follow Nick Miller in all the things!

In fact, my basic response to all of this is very Miller-esque.

Comment

• Three things:

1. I'm in the middle of editing last year's Weak Sauce Nanowrimo. I wondered if I could make anything better out if it than it is. I CAN NOT. I AM IN THE BELL JAR and I hate every word I've ever written, every sentence I've ever constructed, every thought I've ever had.

Editing is hell.

2. I've started investigating self-publishing more, read a few things on it, listened to some podcasts, etc. Ugh. Lots of mediocre writers who are good at Internet marketing and write prolifically do well. Frankly, that doesn't matter. I'm mostly just fascinated by the process. And I've learned a lot.

3. BUT I HAVE AN AWFUL MANUSCRIPT and I should just scrap it but I feel like it's important to finish this process of editing so I can learn to keep pushing through and moving forward instead of spinning wheels, re-writing the same shit over and over, etc.

What was my third thing? Eh, I think hatred of my manuscript is both #1 and #3 but my hatred is so big it needs two points.

Comment

• I hear you.

Same boat here with my Dragon first draft. Hate it so much. Trying to edit it makes me want to eat my own face off. But it's 111k words and a complete story more or less, and I still like the characters, so now what . . .

Comment

• Aw, don't hate it! There's a lot of good stuff in the sections I read!

Comment

• I can read the dragons for you! And tell you if it legit sucks, or if it is just you.

<---still trying so effing hard to get her eyes on those dragons.

Comment

Working...
                                X