No announcement yet.

Writerly Pursuits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does this include the fancy pillows and steak every day? I think I could survive in your basement.

Comment

• Wow, I need to go down there and make some more room.

I'm not sure I can do *fancy* pillows, but I do have 'pillows'. Beef jerky counts as 'steak', right? mr.o has been making blueberry cobbler a lot lately, so that's another perk. And the oboy wants to paint people's toenails as a career goal, and is looking for people to practice on. Free pedicures!

Comment

• Well, I quit my job! So it's coming to you soon!

Comment

• So I had a Come to Hey-Zeus moment at my writing group last night.

We were reviewing a couple of short stories by two of the writers and it was a nice, quick meeting because I don't understand short stories that are not fanfiction (sorrynotsorry) so I didn't have much to add.

ANYWAY, after the critique, we have a little socializing and I said I haven't written squat this summer and I was really frustrated with myself. And one of the writers was like, "That makes me sad because you should be." And I was like: truth...

But then I gave him a ride home (he lives just up the street from the bar we meet at) and we talked for like 30 minutes in my car--not like that--about writing and he said (to me): You have the voice and the right character and a compelling story. And you have the tools we always talk about (basic skills) and if you can just finish this draft (It needs organizational help like whoa) you have a real shot at getting an agent and getting this published.

And I was like, "Whoa."

So I realized that I'm dragging my feet for a host of reasons (avoiding the hard work of this part of the process is totally up there) and it's time to STAHP IT.

So I'm giving myself to Labor Day to have a completed rough draft y'all.
          Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• YES.

All of that, YES. And how cool is it that you are so totally the rockstar of your writing group AND PEOPLE KNOW IT? SO COOL.

I'm doing the opposite of all that, I'm taking at least a month off from any writing expectations due to the whole eye surgery dealio. It's going to be a loooong time before my vision stabilizes. I'm hoping I'll only have to be offline for a week . . . but I'm not sure how long it will take until I can sit in front of a computer for several hours at a time to actually write, without making my eyes all red and dry and crusty.

Comment

• I don't even know how you can take this time what with your busy TVD schedule! I can't believe you didn't do this earlier in the summer!
              Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• This is actually a good slot for me. It's post-Orphan Black, but pre-Doctor Who. And as far as Plecverse stuff is concerned, things will slow down now that hiatus is ending. I'l miss SDCC coverage, though.

Comment

• Sarah is going to be on the ground at SDCC. We should demand a diary of her time there.

Comment

• I kinda love your writing group people, Is. So supportive!

Comment

• Right? They are kinda better than I deserve. I feel like the mean asshole of the group.

Turns out I'm only the "nice one" in context.

Comment

• @WorstMuse is killing it.

Comment

• Hee! These are pretty great:

If a character has curves, make sure to specify that they are in all the right places. Otherwise, readers will be confused
                          You SHOULD base your protagonist on you. Disguise him by giving him really intense green eyes and an ancestral weapon. You don't have those!
                          Last edited by jennchum; 07-11-2014, 09:03 PM.

Comment

• It's delightful.

Have you mentioned in this chapter that your protagonist is not like other girls? You should make sure to do that.

Comment

• Bwah! I was going to quote that one Laa! PERFECT.

Comment

• Ugh, just looking at this thread makes me sad. I can't believe I thought I would only be taking off a month from writing to recover from my eye surgery! . . . look at me now ten months later. Blergh.

But! I wrote 1300 words today! My former productive self scoffs at that, but whatever.

Unfortunately! 1) it's on a new project and starting new things before finishing the other things will totally be my downfall and 2) I started out to purposely write something mediocre, short, and fast as an exercise in shaking my writer's block, and this already looks like it's not going to be that. I suck at being short, damnit. WHICH IS SUPER IRONIC.

But whatever, that is still 1300 more words than I wrote yesterday, so I'm chalking it up as a (small) win.

ETA Oh and 3) this is the dumbest time ever to start getting productive, because the kids only have two more days of school and then they are home with me every day for summer. Yeah, I *would* wait until the last viable minute to suddenly get inspired, that's awesome.
                                Last edited by ophy; 05-27-2015, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X