No announcement yet.

Writerly Pursuits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was also literally in an attic room overlooking trees and a lake - felt like a brilliant cliche.

That retreat sounds heavenly! Good for you. I would have had to do it without all the other writers around, though.

I think you are totally right about the internet diet. I am determined that I am going to carve out a new schedule to stick to, for at least a month. I need to bang out the rest of this book . . . if it starts malingering all is lost. It's ridiculous how weak I am in the face of Twitter temptations.

I'm an extrovert so promoting books and talking to strangers doesn't fill me with dread. I also love to travel! Especially when it's tax deductible.
    You know that describes my hell!

I think half of my issues related to finishing stuff is tied directly to my complete paralysis in this area. The struggle to resolve my indecisions about publishing is making it hard to focus on a finish line. Finishing means starting up all kinds of stuff that I dread.

Kinda thinking about writing a pile of manuscripts over the next forty years, never letting anyone see them in my lifetime, and just leaving instructions to my kids that they can do whatever they want with all of it after I'm safely gone.

Comment

• You can just go the self-publishing route, tho? I mean, it's not like you're a wilting flower on the internet! You have a following (weird as it may be) and you can easily do marketing and promotions via web ads (you have some expertise in that area, don't forget!) and your Twitter and social media efforts are largely anonymous and mostly relate to your actual interests.

You're weirdly well positioned for an indie author.
      Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• Oh, I doubt I have an actual 'following'. I don't think the small number of folks who liked to snicker at the way I mocked dumb Fan Forum delusionals a couple of years ago will really translate into future potential book buyers, you know? Hardly any of those lurkers ever followed me on Twitter or Tumblr, so thinking they might be tempted to spend actual money on my nonsense is a stretch. And that's okay, I wasn't mocking dumb Fan Forum delusionals for the profit of it.

As depressing as it sounds, self publishing looks so Sisyphean to me at this stage. Amazon is crazy glutted with crap. I go there to find something silly and light to kill time with, and can't make a choice because there is just TOO MUCH. It's impossible to wade through. I haven't bought a self-published book in ages and ages . . . I can't even imagine doing so right now, to be honest. So it's hard to get excited about the format as a way forward for my own books.

Nope, I think sticking everything I write into a box marked "HEY JERKS! DON'T OPEN UNTIL I'M DEAD" is really my most viable business option*.

*or I might just be a tad depressed right now for no actual reason, but wevs.

Comment

• I guess I've always thought there are two levels of writing: 1) Finally finishing your shit and 2) Actually affecting at least one other human being with it. Strange eyeballs on your work will always be scary af, AGREE x1000000. But to never know Step 2 because you've released your book while jamming on a harp? , ophy! Keep writing for you 99.5%, but don't shield yourself from a fandom (small n' indie or big n' traditional) who is going to tell you you're amazeballs.

Comment

• It's so sad that this thread died over a year ago!

Is anybody still writing? isadora?

I guess I've always thought there are two levels of writing: 1) Finally finishing your shit and 2) Actually affecting at least one other human being with it.

This was super insightful and encouraging, Laa. I should probs read back thorugh this whole thread to be inspired to stick with something to the end.

I have three resolutions for 2017: 1) get rid of my beeking uterus (top priority!) 2) complete a second draft of that dragon book that has been lingering on my hard drive for years 3) write a first draft of something new (or newish).

I have a first chapter done of something newish . . . just 1k words, but it feels like an accomplishment, so Imma celebrate it (in a lackluster way).

Honestly, I'm so beaten down about my writing these days that I think everything I write is crappity crap and not worth going on with. It's probs just my health issues and the world being AN ACTUAL GARBAGE FIRE making me feel blue, but I've got no way to evaluate my own stuff anymore.

Comment

• Ophy! I, for one, loved your writing so that's one person touched by it. It totally counts.
              sigpic

Comment

• Ha! I LITERALLY just emailed you the thousand words that I wrote before I saw that you posted, da.

I was all, "well at least dada will lie to me and say it's okay and that's all I need to hear to keep going" so yes that means you have to say that regardless.YOUR FAULT (for always having been so encouraging in the past).

Comment

• Ophy, the impending GARBAGE FIRE USA is the perfect reason to keep going with it. Use that anguish, girl, and ignore the negative voices in your head. "The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt." (That's a Sylvia Plath quote I just pulled off Goodreads, and I think it applies here. If you want, I can put it in pretty font over a picture of an ocean and post it on FaceBook and tag you in it like some broody starlet?).

I outlined and started work on a YA book a few years ago, made some progress in Dubai & Singapore and then got preggo and have not had time to even think about it since, but I think that's good because it was pretty derivative (dystopian future, female teen protagonist, regimented society, etc). I may revisit it in a few years if/when the market isn't saturated with those types of stories.

Comment

• (That's a Sylvia Plath quote I just pulled off Goodreads, and I think it applies here. If you want, I can put it in pretty font over a picture of an ocean and post it on FaceBook and tag you in it like some broody starlet?).

YES PLEASE.

I outlined and started work on a YA book a few years ago, made some progress in Dubai & Singapore and then got preggo and have not had time to even think about it since, but I think that's good because it was pretty derivative (dystopian future, female teen protagonist, regimented society, etc). I may revisit it in a few years if/when the market isn't saturated with those types of stories.

Oh, if you do that, you need to post about it here. You could also yank out the characters and stick them in a steampunk western or maybe mermaids or I dunno what are the kids reading these days?

Speaking of derivative dystopia, have you heard about Veronica Roth's new book? Apparently, people are super pissed off because racism and ableism reasons. I should post about it on the book thread. I like reading up on how Big Name Authors get things wrong because it's such a good lesson in what NOT to do.

Comment

• Veronica Roth is a terrrrrible writer so there's that.

I still belong to a writing group and have many many many many half-finished things. SO MANY UNFINISHED THINGS.
                      Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

Working...
                      X