No announcement yet.

Exercise: Just another excuse to buy new shoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• isadora, please link me up to the new P90 workout. I searched online and keep getting directed to websites selling submachine guns.

I've stalled on my weight loss, due to bad eating choices and travel. I haven't gained any weight, I'm just hovering around the same weight and need some kind of physical activity.

Comment

• This is going to sound like such a stupid question, but the interwebz are failing me. How do I work out without losing weight?

I need to work out for general health and toning-up reasons, but I'm concerned it's going to kick off more weight loss. I did a couple of miles on the elliptical in the past few days (no asthma attack! it's a miracle), and lost another lb right off the bat. I want to stay where I am at 102lbs and not slip under a hundred, and I'm at a point where I *can't* fit any more calories into my stupid, stupid diet.

Anyone have exercise tips where I can gain strength but not lose any more mass? I have an elliptical and some weights, and that's it.

Comment

• Actually, exercise is kinda terrible for weight loss (unless you're going Biggest Loser style 4-hour exer-binges) . It's essential for maintaining weight particularly as you get older and even moreso if you were previously heavy), however! Weird but true.

If you do strength training instead of cardio it will build muscle, which might cause a tiny weight gain. It's unlikely that you lost a pound by just going on the elliptical for a couple of days (unless you are so sedentary that you just stare at a screen 24/7? Heee). It's more likely that you're having typical water retention fluctuations.

ETA: I JUST saw cajun ask for a link to the new P90: http://www.beachbody.com/product/fit...p90-workout.do

SORRY! I missed that before. I got kinda bored with it. I like P90X3 better!
        Last edited by isadora; 03-04-2015, 05:27 PM.
        Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• (unless you are so sedentary that you just stare at a screen 24/7? Heee)

I guess I'm just paranoid. I was losing at such a fast rate, and then it slowed down to only a lb every week or so. I'd kinda like it to just settle in right here, but I haven't maintained a weight plateau for more then ten days yet.

Really light headed on days that I exercise. I have to figure out how to add calories, I guess, so that doesn't happen.

Comment

• Have you tried yoga? I'm not too up on all the latest weight loss trends (sadly because I could do with losing about 16 lbs). I've been doing a power vinyasa for about 6 weeks now and not lost any weight but I have toned up a bit - my waist has decreased a bit as able to put my belt back a notch and my calves are smaller. The meditative yoga I find boring but vinyasa is much better.

Comment

• I can check out vinyasa, I suppose. I've tried a few time to get into yoga, but yeah. Snooze city. I'm also vastly uncoordinated and keep falling over. But I suppose that's what practice is for.

A different exercise question! This one is scienc-y . . . Does anyone know how heart rate might be tied into inflammation?

Back in my 'eat whatever' days, my heart rate would shoot up into the 180s within mins of starting anything cardio related, and it would be super hard to get it back down again. How difficult it was to get it back down freaked out a trainer at a gym once (and I've had EKGs done, and my heart is fine). But now that I have been 4 mos on the anti-inflammatory diet, my heart rate only goes up to around 155 when I'm on the elliptical, and I can get it to drop much easier during cool down.

So there must be a diet connection to how your heart operates, right? It feels like a big change to me. Having a ridic fast heart rate while exercising has always made doing any kind of cardio very uncomfortable -- and it's all just much more pleasant now. I can actually imagine doing this every day without bitching.

I guess if anyone else has the same issue, this is a way to fix it. Score another point for this stupid, stupid diet. I just don't know *why* it fixed the problem.

Comment

• Interesting!

I would guess it's because your body is conditioned to the elliptical and the trainer maybe pushed you harder? Maybe it was the anxiety of city life coupled with the carbs? Heh. Who's to say!
                Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• No, it's always done that, with a trainer or not, whether living in the city or living here. My heart rate was up in the 180-190s every time on the elliptical, even as recent as just a few months ago. So the diet + supplements are really the only variables that have changed in that amount of time.

My heart rate has always been freaky with the way it jumps up. I had a cardiologist once tell me that with this kind of heart rate I was going to have 'a short but interesting life'. And then he did the EKG and said, "oops, I was wrong . . . it's going to be a long and boring life, sorry."

Totes weird. The interwebz have failed me, so I'll have to ask my doc the next time I see him if he knows why.
                  Last edited by ophy; 03-06-2015, 08:43 AM.

Comment

• I went to a Pure Barre class today and now I'm dead. I was like the girl in the back of every workout video who has to modify moves like "touch your toes."

Comment

• I really want to do a barre class because that was always my favorite part of ballet class but I'm super intimidated by classes in general.

Comment

• I don't know if I've talked about this here, but I've been struggling with losing my last little bit of baby weight. It's not a huge deal and I haven't been beating myself up over it or anything, but my stubborn extra weight was right around my gut. My running wasn't really doing anything to change it and it was just like a little floatie above my jeans which... no. I can't do that y'all. I work out too hard to sport a forever muffin top, you know what I mean? So one of my friends has been taking this TRX class and she talked me into going with her about 6 weeks ago. I HATE classes and I hate working out with other people. But! I am seeing results. I've been going twice a week, pretty consistently and still run about 4x a week for about an hour (or how much ever time I can carve out in the mornings). I think at this point, I'm the only one who can tell the difference in my body, but when I wear my skinny jeans, I definitely don't have to suck in as much and when I slouch while I'm sitting, I feel less lumpy.

If you've never tried it, it's not bad for a group class. I don't like the public dancing involved in Zumba, I've fallen asleep in yoga before, and Crossfit and spinning are too intense for me, but this is a good combination of chill and challenging. You're using your own body weight as resistance instead of lifting actual weights. I've never felt comfortable lifting weights in front of a mirror at the gym, but I don't even have to look at myself while I do these exercises which is awesome.

Comment

• That is fantastic! I totally had to google what TRX class was. It sounds like the most pleasant form of strength training.

I went to another Pure Barre class with some pals and uh muh guh. It was definitely one of those classes where you do embarrassing moves half-assedly and you kinda want to slap the overly chipper instructor, but it's okay because you're all equally embarrassed and afterward you feel like I'm time you could maybe have an ass like DK's.

Comment

• Me: Ugh, my birthday/annual lake trip with friends is coming up and I'm still at my Thanksgiving weight. Having gross, chilly weather for so long must've effed up my sense of how far it would be until I'd have to be in a swimsuit. MUST work out for at least an hour every day for the next two weeks. Carbs are now poison. Put down that frozen pizza! WTF!

Me to me: But, I mean, listen. You're gonna be PMS-bloaty anyway and also drinking a ton of beer with a bunch of lean people who can run marathons and eat whole loaves of bread as a snack, so just embrace your squishiness. It's too late. You can't Pilates away 10 pounds in two weeks. This is you now. When they start talking about keto vs. paleo, just go for a walk with a donut hole, bb. Live life.

Comment

• Your internal monologue is like right out of my head.

Comment

• I am so happy with my new bicycle - I had to share. I live on a super steep hill and even though I am near a million bike trails at the bottom of the hill and really like riding a bike as a rule, it was always so brutally awful getting the damned bike home that I just couldnít make myself do it. So I bought myself an e-bike and itís a total game changer. I can pedal around on the flats as per usual and then when itís time to go home, put it in the highest power mode available and boom. I feel so much better about myself because this I can manage. And sure, maybe if I just stuck it out I could have worked myself up to biking unpowered up that hill, but thatís just not ever going to be me.

Comment

Working...
                                X