Lurkers--Who the hell are you people?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lurkers--Who the hell are you people?

It occurred to the hive mind that we have some long time lurkers. Who are you people? You likely know everything about us--from how we feel about our jobs to our haircuts (but mostly TV--I mean, that is the central focus of our lives).

So...if you are newish to posting here please feel free to give some detail about yourselves--you don't have to dig deep but I'd like to know how long you were lurking and just whatever vague personal information you'd like to provide.

And, if anybody else out there in lurker land can spell and speak our language (not literally--we took in Herman) they are free to join (look for instrux in the announcements forum).
    Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

HA! I love this. Gloop and I admitted we lurked for a decade! There have to be others.

I was there from almost the beginning, right after Dawson's Wrap became MBTV. It was always more fun to read ya'll's posts, as everyone was so much funnier/meaner than I ever could be. Everyone is more mellow now, but ya'll were scary!

In a good way! It was almost like watching an even better show about a TV show. I wish I had joined in sooner. It is sort of strange, because I feel like I sort of know you guys from lurking, and I forget that you all don't know me at all.

Well, I'm 36 and a mother. I'm from the South, as you can probably tell from all the "yall's". I am currently in grad school, studying history. Specifically the South American dictatorships in the 20th century. They were crazy, ya'll. I also study Renaissance Art History pretty extensively. I am a huge nerd about school.

Favorite fandom of all time is Dawson's Creek. Huge Buffy fan. More recently TVD and Teen Wolf. I pretty much love the teen dramas, I refuse to grow up regarding my entertainment tastes!

Lurkers, come out and show your face! No one bites! Yet.

ETA: I forgot to mention my tragic DAIR shipping. Its still too painful to speak of. Suck it Stephanie Savage! *shakes fist*
    Last edited by jennchum; 01-22-2013, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Yes!

Excellent idea.

Every time a lurker comes out of hiding, the Ferryman gets a new set of wings (and if you know who that is, you have been lurking a REALLY long time).

I'm not really sure what gif woud be the most encouraging . . . the old timers see lurkers like this:

And knowing lurkers are out there makes them want to:

But a lurker is just a friend we haven't met yet! I learned that in kindergarten.

Comment

HA! That's the exact same mask I used to wear when I lurked! You have really captured my essence, ophy.

And yes, I know who Ferryman is. Now I seem creepier.

Comment

right after Dawson's Wrap became MBTV.
          You have been around longer than I have! I didn't start watching DC until halfway thru 3.5 (same as TVD, actually . . but couldn't use Netflix to catch up in those days), and I don't think I found MBTV until it was decently well established.

I also study Renaissance Art History pretty extensively.
          I was an Art History minor! My thing was Medieval art, though.

I have absolutely nothing to say about 20th Cent South American dictatorships, though. Something about Eva Perrone? That's a pretty cool topic to go back to school for.

Comment

I found you guys in the fall of '99 at MBTV after I saw the season 3 premiere and thought 'Pacey and Joey, it's finally happening!', and the rest, they say is history.

I'm a 38 year old female chef in NYC. I don't post often because usually my brain is too exhausted to form coherent thoughts and since I agree with most of your opinions my posts would probably consist of 'me too!' anyway.

I do want to thank all of you for the years of entertainment and laughs which truly provided relief during periods of grief and depression.
            "Get off your overweight ass and create a real website that actualy serves a purpose, and remember, you will never be loved by Joshua Jackson, he wouldnt even let his dog fuck you."

Comment

Chef! Your sig, it KILLS me. And 90% of my posts are of the ITA! variety, so don't let that stop you.

Nice to meet you, jennchum! Ferryman would be pleased.

Comment

I think Laa and I have the longest consistent posting together-ness here. We both started at Dawson's Wrap (I don't even know if I posted then--I might have just lurked at first? That was summer/fall 1999 for me.

And I know Vanessa pre-dates Dawson's Wrap because she posted at Mediarama with Wing and Sars who lifted the "wrap" concept wholecloth from the dude that ran that website (he did 90210). But I'm not sure when Vanessa made her jump to posting about Dawson's offhand. It's also super weird that my first internet experiences were almost entirely related to DC. Because Dawson's Wrap was the first message board I ever posted on in my life. I remember now knowing what to do with the Internet at Mr. Is's apartment. I was like: What should I look up!? And he suggested a bunch of gross boy stuff and I searched for Dawson's Creek because I'd caught the reruns of season one over the summer and I LOVED the trashy Pacey/Tamahra story! Ha!

I found Dawson's Wrap and that was all she wrote for my entire Internet life (and my entire life some days).

Welcome to our smarty-pants newbies and irregular posters! Awww.

But seriously, I can't believe there are people who have lurked me for a decade! Ha! I'm not worthy! Though some other posters over the years here have certainly been more than worthy.
                Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

Chef's sig sounds sooo familiar to me, but I cannot place who said it. Its driving me nuts!

Nice to meet you too, LaaLaa.

I have absolutely nothing to say about 20th Cent South American dictatorships, though. Something about Eva Perrone? That's a pretty cool topic to go back to school for.
                  Yeah, you're right. Eva was the beloved wife of Argentine leader Juan Peron. Evita! It is fun, I am obsessed with the insane politics of Latin America during the Cold War. Its better than a soap opera.
                  Last edited by jennchum; 01-28-2013, 09:26 PM. Reason: because I know the difference between Argentina and Brazil.

Comment

Hi ya, Chef! All this time, I thought your name was in regards to a South Park character. I kinda love that you named yourself after what you do. My user name should be 'does nothing but sit online', I guess.

Its better than a soap opera.
                    One's topic of study should always be chosen based on it's resemblance to the soap operatic conventions. I can respect that.

Comment

Now I need to know where Chef works so I can eats there when I go to NYC. It's my turn to lurk around you!

And jennchum, I also minored in art history! I actually wanted to major in it, but my parents were like, "And you're gonna be working at which McDonald's exactly?" so I compromised with them. But I made them literally pay for it by taking way more classes related to my minor than I needed to. I think I only needed 15 hours plus the initial pre-reqs to declare it as my minor and by the time I graduated, I had almost double the required number of hours. But to this day I can still say Van Gogh with the pretentious accent that makes me sound like I'm coughing up a hairball.

Comment

IDEK.

Like seriously. I'm imagining this:

So IMMA just try not to be all:

Welcome to hell!

Comment

Chef's sig sounds sooo familiar to me, but I cannot place who said it. Its driving me nuts!
                          It was left on the ProjectHELLmates guestbook and it cracks me up all the time. It just encompasses the insanity of the DC fandom to me. Memories! *sniff*
                          "Get off your overweight ass and create a real website that actualy serves a purpose, and remember, you will never be loved by Joshua Jackson, he wouldnt even let his dog fuck you."

Comment

I love this thread!

Project HELLmates! That was my favorite thing in all of DC fandom.

Comment

Originally posted by Chef View Post
                              It was left on the ProjectHELLmates guestbook and it cracks me up all the time. It just encompasses the insanity of the DC fandom to me. Memories! *sniff*
                              That's it! It really does completely sum it up.

MAN, people hated that site! That was the single greatest thing about it. . . the shit it stirred up. I loved when DC writers signed it and all the D/Jers lost their minds.

IssieCol, I wonder every day what I am going to do with this useless master's degree. I just decided to go with my passion, and see where it takes me. I'm pretty sure its going to leave me in academia for the rest of my life. I would like to teach at the college level, though. So that's always an option. Professorship is all writing books on your own small interests and teaching classes. I think I would love that. I need an office filled to the top with all my obscure history books.

Comment

Working...
                              X