Summer Trash: The MNN Bookclub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer Trash: The MNN Bookclub

Like Oprah but with no redeeming value whatsoever.

Who's in?
    "But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.Ē---Kanye

Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Comment

Yay! I realize there's another thread for books but let's separate this one.)

Do we want old school trash? I looked all over for a free e-book of Dark Angel but was not successful. Or new stuff? Biography?

I need a reason to make myself read something fun.
      "But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.Ē---Kanye

Comment

I only read trash anymore so I'm IN.

I'm also reading vintage YA lately. M.E. Kerr!

I read FITA somewhat recently so I don't wanna read that. I'm not sure I could get through Heaven and Dark Angel but I do think I'd enjoy cracking up over Troy Langdon Tatterton.
        Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

I'm definitely innnnnnnn! Trash sounds great to me!

Comment

Should we read retro trash? Like Sidney Sheldon!? Like I remember LOVING "If Tomorrow Comes" and other delicious trash like that as a kid. Or like Lace by Shirley Conran?? "Which one of you bitches is my mother!?" I also remember loving Erica Jong's "Fanny, Being the True History of the Adventures of Fanny Hackabout-Jones" about a sexual adventuress? I took to writing in my diary like her character for months after I read that shit.

Valley of the Dolls?

We could also watch the movie adaptations of these trashy classics.
            Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

I'm not knowledgable to vote for any of these because the only trash I got to read was a bunch of forgettable Danielle Steel novels and no-name bodice rippers my friend and I stole from her aunt. But I remember my mom saying the exact words "Valley of the Dolls is bad," so I'm excited!

Comment

I'm in, but I only really remember Harlequinesque stuff. I'll totally reread old Judith Krantz just to savor the descriptions of those 80s outfits.

Alternatively, Lainey also got me interested in New Adult romance. I've read a couple so far and they're good quick trashy reads about college sexin'. I'm kinda wary about a lot of it though because me no likey lots of abuse angst and NA is like FULL of that mess.

Comment

Yeah, those trashy NA novels are very high on abuse and violence.

Comment

My library hunt for Dark Angel was unsuccessful! WTH America? My next option will be an old used bookstore. I will pretend it's for a teenaged niece.

I did score Corey-ography though so I'm stoked for that.

I never read Valley of the Dolls. I'm not into abuse/rape either. Drugs and whoredom? Absolutely.

Comment

I adored Valley of the Dolls when I was young. So much trashy goodness. I also read the Andrew Greeley priest trash books.

Comment

Alright, Neo are you declaring Heaven/Dark Angel the summer trash reads o' the month? You can get them on half.com and ebay for like <$5 including shipping all day. It does make me wonder tho: Where did my hardcovers go?

It must be a stupid Hachette book because Amazon is a dick on price: $21 for Dark Angel on Kindle!

I want to read it because a girl named Tammy had this to say about Dark Angel:

Dark Angel has to be the best book that has ever been written. [] Though you must read the book Heaven before reading Dark Angel, it doesn't even compare. Dark Angel's passion and emotions make you feel like you are not only included in the novel but as if you are the main character in the novel, Heaven, because of the descriptions and dialogue. It could not have been written any better, it completely lived up to my expectations and more. To anyone who can comprehend strong feelings and emotions, you must read this book. [If you don't have emotions, this book is not for you, I guess.] Not only has this book set the standards for the kind of person I'd like to be, but the great romance between Troy and Heaven sets the standards for every love you will ever have from then on, though there is no way anything can live up to it and no one can live up to Troy Tatterton. [This part might actually be true.] I think he is truly the best part of the book and without him it just wouldn't be the same. V.C. Andrews truly created the perfect man in Troy and the greatest book. I think she desribed it in the book: "Bigger than life I made Troy. Better than life, too good to be true." That's correct but it still makes you yearn and feel for it. This book is a must-read for all people who love romance and emotions, but still want a great story line and plot.
                        Do we have time for the Best Book That Has Ever Been Written?

ETA: I bid on the whole series on ebay in paperback. But the listing doesn't end for over a week! *cries*
                        Last edited by isadora; 06-06-2014, 09:57 AM.

Comment

It sounds like people want VotD? How do y'all feel about reading book 2 of 5 (if we chose DA)?

Comment

I feel I personally need to read both Heaven and Dark Angel together. Heh.

Comment

If you get to something that's available for Kindle, I'm in. So far, I don't see VotD or the Casteel series on there and for actually paper books I'm limited to a crappy Borders (Seriously! Dubai apparently hasn't gotten the memo that those stores are kaput!) that is half-full of toys. I went in the other day to buy some poolside books and the only VC Andrews they had was "Roxy's Story."

Comment

Working...
                              X