No announcement yet.

Hypochondria as a legitimate hobby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I remember ophy's mattress issues and I'm cracking up.
    Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• I remember ophy's mattress issues and I'm cracking up.
      I still own over 20 mattresses! It's kind of a problem.

Foam is the way to go (whether a chemical foam or a natural foam), so you are already on the right track, vanessa.

No big surprise, I always vote go natural . . . I'm a big believer in latex for everyone and every ache and pain, so that's going to be what I recommend over all other mattresses. ( if you like a firmer feel and want to try out latex, I'd say go with a Dunlop process instead of Talalay).

But of course, lots and lots of people love their memory foam made out of nasty chemicals just as much as I love my clean and pure latex plus organic wool combination, so it comes down to a personal preference thing.

Here are some fairly neutral comparison links that won't preach at you about the toxicity (well, not too much):

http://www.thebest-mattress.org/memo...best-mattress/

This link comes out mostly in favor of memory foam for joint pain, but does make the point that memory foam can be temperature sensitive (latex is not): http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/memo...m-v-latex.html
      Accompanying vid: https://youtu.be/Jz-qFEvFFfg

http://www.foamnights.com/foam-vs-latex/

Comparison video: https://youtu.be/ux-6nDeeOqQ

There is also a new latex memory foam on the market that sounds interesting: http://www.myessentia.com/learn/vers...am-mattresses/

The two major downsides to regular memory foam (other than the chemicals issue) are trapping heat (people complain of getting too hot), and softening with age. So it might start out fairly firm, but in a few years feel substantially softer to you. That's something to take into account when trying various ones out.

If you definitely want memory foam over anything else, here are some ratings sites for different brands:

http://www.beds.org/best_memory_foam_mattress.php

http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/matt...mory-foam.html

Comment

• Oh, thank you! Much researching to do.

Comment

• I had a fairly tedious bout of low-level depression the entire winter. I saw "low level" because I don't have suicidal thoughts or even true despair--I can get out of bed and do my job (but that's about it tbh).

My doc said I have a vitamin D deficiency and suggested a daily vitamin. But I feel like that's sorta not that impressive a regime and I've been having trouble shaking off this low-level depression now that the sun is out. So I'm getting a little more proactive. I read that fish oil with a specific ratio of EPA/DHA (that is 2:1) has exceptional health benefits for your brain, including relief from mild depression.

And I know ophy you switched to the Krill oil and I wondered what the ratios are in the one the one you take? I just ordered vitacost's Mega EFA and intend to get on taking that daily. I think the book I am reading has a shockingly high dosage of fish oil (1k mg of EPA/500 mg of DHA a day) but I'm willing to try it and see how it goes. I know when I take plain old fish oil of any decent quality it tends to improve my skin. And this dosage/ratio has a lot of compelling studies that say it reduces inflammation, which we all know is SUPER IMPORTANT FOR LIKE ALL OF LIFE AND LONGEVITY AND SKIN.

Anyway, ophy, do you know anything about this?
          Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• I don't take krill oil! My doc shrugged about it, so I stuck with what he recc'ed instead.

This is what I take:

Moss Nutrition
            EPA/DHA HP Select

https://www.mossnutrition.com/produc...tWidgetID=1015

It's not exactly 2:1, but it's very close to that.
            EPA: 720 mg
            DHA: 480 mg

I am supposed to take 4k mg of fish oil per day, which is ridic high. That's partly for the anti-inflammatory benefits and partly for dry eye. I don't always take that much, though. Sometimes I only take 2k mgs, and then 2k of flax seed oil instead.

I also take a Vit D supplement, because I used to be deficient. This is the supplement that fixed my deficiency yay:

Life Extensions
            Vit D with Vit K and Sea Iodine

http://www.amazon.com/Life-Extension...tensions+vit+d

It is so weird to *not* have a Vit D deficiency anymore. This is the first time in my adult life that I'm not just dragging myself along all day.

Comment

• How much vitamin D do you take?

INNERESTING that you take so much fish oil. That makes me feel better about the seemingly cray dosage Imma be on in a week or two.

Comment

• Have you been diagnosed as deficient, Is? I started on 2,000 units and then switched down to 1,000.

Ophy, is there a reason you're taking daily vitamin k? It builds up in your liver and also is the antidote to blood thinners, aka it thickens your blood and clotting ability.
                "But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.Ē---Kanye

Comment

• Yes, my doc said my vit D was low and take a 1,000 mg daily at min. I'm taking 2k b/c that's what the drug store had, yo.

But I never see the sun, it's never nice outside and I am basically living in a YA dystopia up here in the Midwest.

Comment

• Ophy, is there a reason you're taking daily vitamin k? It builds up in your liver and also is the antidote to blood thinners, aka it thickens your blood and clotting ability.
                    Yep. Because of the extremely high levels of fish oil I am taking . . . the fish oil is a blood thinner.

But I am not taking the D and K every day now that my D levels are better -- more like every other other day, so 2 -3 times per week.

Comment

• It was recommended I take D a couple months ago but it says on the bottle to take with a meal and since my eating was totally screwed up for about 8 weeks, I wasn't eating meals regularly so I refrained. I bought a bottle at the time though so I might start it now.

Comment

• Fish oil is not really much of a blood thinner. Be careful with that vitamin k!
                        "But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.Ē---Kanye

Comment

• So at 11 months post PRK eye surgery, this is where I stand:

MY VISION IS KICKASS EAGLE STYLE, BITCHES!!!

No for reals, I'm sitting here looking out over the ocean and can see freakishly far. I never achieved this kind of vision with glasses or contacts. If a pod of dolphins was out there having a poker party, I'd be able to see which one was cheating with an ace up his blow hole.

I'm also barely using the drops anymore. 2 or 3 times a day, I guess? But I just realized that I haven't used them at all today, so yay. That means my eyes were still young enough for my nerves to regenerate post-surgery -- which is excellently excellent considering how severely dry they were right afterwards. I was very worried that I would be stuck with chronic dry eye forever.

Anyway, I finally achieved that level of not being able to really remember how awful the recovery period was, and just being grateful that I got it done.

Comment

• That's amazingly awesome.

Comment

• Fantastic news.

Comment

• Because isadora loves hearing about the efficacy of poop transplants . . .

OTHER PEOPLE'S POOP CAN CURE CANCER (kinda):

The Hottest New Cancer Drugs Depend on Gut Microbes: http://www.theatlantic.com/science/a...urce=SFTwitter

This is bad news for me (if I get cancer), because my gut microbes apparently suck at their job. But maybe someone else's poop will save me.

In 2013, two groups of scientists showed that three cancer drugs can mobilize the immune system to kill tumors, but only in the presence of the right gut microbes. Laurence Zitvogel at the Gustave-Roussy Cancer Campus, who led one of the two teams, wanted to see if the same was true for a new wave of promising immunotherapy drugs called checkpoint inhibitors.These drugs work by unshackling T-cells—a class of immune cells that seek and destroy potential threats, cancers included. T-cells are typically muzzled by “checkpoint proteins” on their surface. By inhibiting these checkpoints, drugs like ipilimumab can remove the muzzles, and unleash packs of slavering, destructive T-cells upon the tumors.

But not, it seems, without the right gut bacteria.

. . .

Meanwhile, a second team led by Thomas Gajewski at the University of Chicago took a different approach and ended up pointing in the same general direction. They first noticed that two strains of lab mice reacted very differently to melanomas. Those purchased from Jackson Laboratory (JAX) developed less aggressive tumors than those from Taconic Biosciences (TAC), because they spontaneously mounted a more vigorous T-cell response.

When the team housed these rodents together, this difference vanished. Why? Because mice will readily to eat each other's poop, picking up gut microbes from their neighbors. By acquiring JAX microbes, the TAC mice became better at controlling cancer. And when student Ayelet Sivan and postdoc Leticia Corrales carried out these transfers deliberately, they found that the JAX stools were as effective at slowing the growth of tumors as an anti-PD-L1 antibody —another kind of checkpoint-inhibitor drug. The combination— feces and drug— was even more effective.

#fecesANDdrug would be a great name for a punk band.

Last edited by ophy; 11-06-2015, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X