No announcement yet.

Hypochondria as a legitimate hobby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I heard that in not the US, eye doctors actually measure your face and stuff because, really, fit is so important when angles of the lens can drastically affect your vision. Me, well, I have a traditionally Asian lack-of-a-nose-bridge AND no cheekbones, so glasses shopping always goes real swell.

Comment

Me, well, I have a traditionally Asian lack-of-a-nose-bridge AND no cheekbones, so glasses shopping always goes real swell.
      The ogirl has this same problem. Nothing ever fits her right because of the lack-of-a-nose-bridge. Do glasses sometimes rub raw marks on the side of your nose? They kind of float on her face, yet rub her weird at the same time.

I JUST picked up my first pair of bifocals (or maybe they are trifocals, I don't even know) on Monday and it's weird weird weird to have to adjust my head so that the distance I'm looking at is in the right part of my glasses lens instead of just moving my eyes.
      I tried trifocals last year, and just could not deal. I wore them for a month, and they never got better for me (yes! to the weirdish angles, and also they made my dbbl v so much worse) so I had to give up and go back to regular ones. But! Apparently, only 2% of people fail to adjust to them, so the odds are in your favor, gloop. You should know in a few weeks if your eyes are going to make the right kind of adjustments.

I know you're probably scared shitless,

Honestly, the folks were very all very reassuring and professional, and I am not scared at all.

Comment

Ohhhh yes, marks on the sides of my nose + smears on the inside of the lenses the moment I blink. I'm also so used to the motion of pushing my glasses up that I do it when I'm wearing contacts and double-poke myself in the eyes. I've read a ton of articles on Asian-fit (Margaret Cho's epic rant is spot-on, and even Asian-American designers like Joy Gryson, Vivienne Tam and Anna Sui can't find proper frames), which usually comes in sunglasses only, for some reason. Wire frames with nose pads are best for this prob (that's what I wore from age 11 to 18), but I love my stupid plastic Rivers Cuomo frames, damnit!

Comment

Coach has some decent plastic options that have a built up nose bridge and they even call them Asian fit which seems kinda racist, but maybe they'll work for you? And this brand has a bunch of cute plastic frames: TC Charton. I don't have an issue with glasses slipping down, but my face is wider so my thing is trying to find frames that are wide enough that they don't give me a headache from the tightness.

Good luck with your procedure, o!

Comment

That was the one brand that kept coming up in my searches! I have wider face issues, too, so I always check out men's sections.

Comment

How do we feel about adult orthodontics?
              Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

Like bridges or retainers? mr.o sleeps in a TMJ thingy to keep him from getting lockjaw.

Are you grinding at night?

(that's what she said.)

Comment

I have known several people who did it, and once you get past the feeling like you're 13, it seems like it's no biggie. I figure it's never too late to fix your teeth.

On bifocals, I got mine 2 years ago - up until then I didn't wear glasses full-time; I would just grab cheap reading glasses for occasional use. It was a brutal first week - constant headaches and that thing when you're going down steps. But I adjusted quickly. The key for me was adjusting my monitors at work to be lower so I am mostly reading down.

Comment

Had my eyes dilated 26 HOURS ago as a 1 wk pre-op thing, and I can still barely see or read. How cranky I am about this does not bode well for how calm I will be recovering from PRK surgery next week.

blergh.

Comment

Feel bettah, bb!

That said, you a diva and I wouldn't want to get in your way in the next month.
                      Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

Feel better O!

Adult braces- I had mine at 20/21. Honestly, I never got hit on more in my life. Plus I was super skinny because eating was such a hassle.
                        "But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.Ē---Kanye

Comment

It'll all be worth it, o!

I've said it before, I think, but one of my best guy friends has a thing for adult braces because his very first middle school gf had a mouth full of metal. When he admitted this information I giggled for 5 minutes solid.

Comment

Awww, hang in there, ophy!
                            sigpic

Comment

Ophy, I've had eye surgery in the past and I'm going to have more at some point (so I've been told) it's no fun but I'm sending good vibes your way!

Comment

Both of my kids will need braces at some point, so I'm trying to sell them on it by showing them pics of Katy Perry and Niall from 1D wearing them as adults. It's working! The ogirl is very excited about getting them now.

I'm STILL DILATED. It was supposed to be a 24 hr dilation apparently, but it's been 42 hrs, and that seems like maybe I have freakazoid eyes? I can read finally, but only kinda well, and it's taking me several tries to type a whole sentence. When I'm fully dilated, I'm a useless person who has to sit in a dark room and do nothing except podcasts. Night Vale is very creepy, yo! I'm out of the dark room, but I still have to have all the lights low and my kids are annoyed at me for refusing to go near the refrigerator and it's evil evil way too bright light.

That said, you a diva and I wouldn't want to get in your way in the next month.
                                True dat. Poor mr.o, beeksus.

Ophy, I've had eye surgery in the past and I'm going to have more at some point (so I've been told) it's no fun but I'm sending good vibes your way!
                                Ooh! What kind?

Comment

Working...
                                X