No announcement yet.

Hypochondria as a legitimate hobby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't know how bad your sinus deal is, but whenever I start to feel grody, I load up on vitamin C or sometimes Emergen-C and it legit kills whatever is trying to kill me from within. I do it when I start to feel bad, not sure how effective it is when you're already very sick, but it should still boost your immune system a fair amount.

And duuuuuuude, I'm sorry about all your body woes! Hopefully, they'll be able to regulate your hormones now that they've identified it as the culprit behind the weird weight gain and you'll start to feel less UGH. And now that you have ALL the clothes, at least you have options as you work your way back down to your normal size? I mean, if we're trying to find a bright side, that would be it, yeah?

Comment

• DUDE, what a fucked up year of bad health and stress!

I had lost 50 pounds, gained back 15 and now have lost 5. BOUNCY. So I had a lot of clothing sizes but decided to get rid of alllll my fat clothes when I lost 50 and then refused to buy any new clothes when I gained 15.

I have no clothes is what I'm saying.

My sinuses have been having a pissy fit for 2 weeks and it's all about the facial steamer (not the neti) with oregano oil.

GOOD LUCK, my friend. JFC.
      Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• I have no clothes is what I'm saying.
        This is how I self-punish when I gain weight. I just refuse to adjust clothing size and have to wear the same pair of jeans 5x a week until I get my shit in gear. This strategy is far less effective now that my entire wardrobe consists of running leggings and other clothes that have elastic waist bands.

Comment

• I actually found that approach doesn't work for me. I just fall into self-loathing and a shitty cycle of beating myself up and looking and feeling like shit.

It turns out that I lose weight when I treat me like I deserve the best at all times. LOL. And then the fat girl inside me is like: Ok, if you buy me something nice, I'll stop eating so much? Maybe.

And so I buy her nice things and she stops around like a real diva and puts down like half the donut.

Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• And now that you have ALL the clothes, at least you have options as you work your way back down to your normal size?

When we cleaned out the house to put in on the market, I sent 80% of my clothes to storage in our new town, but yes! already having clothes put aside in case I ever start losing again is a good thing. Assuming I do ever start losing again, which I am not real confident about. I think I've finally plateaued at size 14? I've been this size now for three months. We also packed away the scale, though, so I won't really know if things are working properly again until my clothes get looser.

The latest thing the doc has put me on is berberine, which is supposed to work wonders for insulin resistance. Most people lose five lbs on it in the first couple of months. I just started it this week, guess we'll see.

Have been doing loads of Vit C for the past year, because I take it with my iron for better absorption, and I definitely still use oregano oil in my steamer. Was holding out hope that there was some kind of magic pill or herb out there, but the inertwebz sayz noez.

Being continuously sick for the past few weeks has been making the whole 'drive 6 hrs to go house hunting every couple of weekends' thing we had planned to do impossible, so at this rate we won't find a house until the week before we were planning to move.*

* not that it matters, because NOBODY WANTS TO BUY OUR CURRENT HOUSE anyway.

Comment

• And then the fat girl inside me is like: Ok, if you buy me something nice, I'll stop eating so much?
              I have that same pattern. I was gaining weight over the winter, so I bought a bunch of pretty clothes and voila! 5 lbs down.

Comment

• Ophy that's such a scary story! Especially the tiredness and fuzziness. I just told mr dada that we will never have unsupervised diet again. I'm sure you'll get better soon.
                sigpic

Comment

• Went to an accupressurist? accupressurizer? and she drained my sinuses and now I don't have a sinus infection anymore?

Comment

• A friend of mine found out she had stage 4 colon cancer (at age 44!) mid-December, had her first chemo appt Jan 9th, and was dead by Jan 30.

Talk to your doctors about a colonoscopy or some kind of equivalent, that's what I'm saying. Until she started to feel abdominal pain in December she had no real symptoms!

I'm looking into this poop test: Cologuard https://www.cologuardtest.com/

Much less invasive but I don't know how effective it is testing-wise yet.

Comment

• I am so sorry, O. Thatís horrible and scary. She likely had the super-invasive cancer that even if she had the colonoscopy it wouldnít saved her. Itís like a lightning strike, just super bad luck.

I am older than yíall so I had my 50 year-old colonoscopy already. Everybody says itís kind of awful and the prep is a nightmare, but I found it not that bad. Not the best day ever, but eh - so I sat home and went to the bathroom for a few hours. The procedure itself was super easy. I am just saying, people will try to scare you about having a colonoscopy, but I found it not nearly as unpleasant as the stupid mammograms I have to have every year.

Comment

• I am so sorry, O.

I didn't actually know what to call her because 'friend' is so vague, but she was 'the kid I played with every day from across the street who rode the bus to school with me for years and years and sometimes we tormented each other and sometimes we were really close and she charged me 10 cents to 'rent' her Archie comic books and we did stupid depraved things to our Barbie dolls together and I learned how to roller skate in her driveway but I was never really sure if we actually liked each other or not and then she moved away and I never saw her again but she found me on Facebook and friended me ten years ago'. So it's not like we were still close or anything, but I have a lot of memories and nostalgia invested in her and I was just really hit by how super fast she went. Oh man, her poor folks. She had no siblings, never got married, and never had kids herself. Her mom must be really going through it right now, I remember they always were more like besties.

It's freaking me out how many friends and former friends my age there are right now who are dealing with cancer. I wouldn't even know if not for Facebook, which is yet another thing to love/hate about it.

And! even though she knew her diagnosis was probably terminal and the end would be soonish, she couldn't quit her office job because she would lose the insurance that was paying for her treatment, so yay, America. She worked nearly every day of the last 6 weeks she had left on this earth in a dumb boring place doing pointless things with people she didn't even like that much . . . she was even working in the office the day before she died. All because we have a system where even DYING PEOPLE can't get a break.

Good to know your colonoscopy wasn't that bad, v. And you are probably right that it was a lightning strike kind of thing but oh, this is kicking my hypochondria and general bitterness into overdrive.

Comment

• I am so sorry, O. Colon cancer is scary, I think, because symptoms show up hella late. My dad got diagnosed with stage 2 two years ago and they caught it in time, but yeah, it was the size of a baseball by the time he felt weird at all.

It is disgusting that your friend had to work up until the very end. That meme about ďDonít kill yourself for a job that would replace you in a weekĒ doesnít consider the shitty American health insurance system. Ugh.

Comment

• That meme about ďDonít kill yourself for a job that would replace you in a weekĒ doesnít consider the shitty American health insurance system.

Right? And when people say "live each day like it's your last' or when folks posit hypotheticals about 'what would you do if you knew you only had a year to live' or whatever also don't take into account that the dying are forced to work fulltime to keep the healthcare that MIGHT just be the only thing that saves them . . . or the only thing that buys them more time . . . time to also keep working. So the honest answer isn't going to be 'learn how to skydive' or 'move to Hawaii' or even 'spend more time with my family' because YOU CAN'T DO THAT ANYWAY YOU MUST WORK.

This is a deeply stupid country.

Comment

• Ugh, I'm so sorry.

It's freaking me out how many friends and former friends my age there are right now who are dealing with cancer. I wouldn't even know if not for Facebook, which is yet another thing to love/hate about it.
                              GIRL, THIS ALL DAY. It's freaky AF.

My co-worker's sister died in the same way as your friend but it was breast cancer. I had cervical cancer last year. Every time I turn around, there's *another* story of someone dropping dead. It's only gonna get worse? Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek. I'm sorry, but that's my first thought.

Comment

• Itís only gonna get worse?
                                I am in the Heart Attack Zone with my age cohort, and itís not great.

Comment

Working...
                                X