No announcement yet.

Hypochondria as a legitimate hobby

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THERE IS ONLY ONE KIND OF DOCTOR FOR EACH KIND OF THING AT AT TIME IN THIS WORLD apparently!*

* if you live in a relatively small rural-ish town in Appalachia and refuse to drive to the nearest bigger-ish town because of stubbornness reasons.

This whole experience has been very eye opening! I guess I thought cancer was more like it is on tv, where after you get a diagnosis you are introduced to a whole TEAM of nice people who will be taking care of you and then maybe somebody makes sure you go to a therapist or a lovely support group or something? And anytime you have a question somebody with actual knowledge and experience is always available to answer kindly and lay out your treatment options clearly and tell you what you can expect next? but LOL NOOOOPE THIS COUNTRY SUCKS ASS. My mom gets tossed a terminal diagnosis by her GP (who has no oncology experience at all from what I can tell) and then doesn't get to speak to anybody else in the field about it for weeks and nobody has even once said "hey here's a pamphlet that will explain your options" or "hey here's a lovely group of kind people you can talk to about all of your emotions", I mean she was really just thrown into the deep end of TEH CANCER scariness with no support at all. She's got me, who is hundreds of miles away, my brother who is searching for a voodoo cure, my other brother who refuses to talk about it at all, and her newly divorced ex-husband who is now in the depths of a depression, and I can't see that we are much help, tbh.

It seems like there should be a better system for this kind of thing? I'll bet they handle it better in like, Sweden or the Netherlands maybe. I'll bet in Finland they've got it all figured out so people don't go crazy just sitting around alone waiting to die at any second with basically no information at all about what is going on in their own beekdamned bodies or how to maybe? make it stop.

Comment

• It's all very confusing to me. Here a GP would refuse to make a diagnosis for this kind of thing. They would just send you to a hospital. A group of people knowing what to do and helping you throughout sounds like utopia.

Btw, mr. Dada has had his fifth chemo (of six) and after that they pretty much tell us he's done. I mean he has to check regularly for five years but they don't expect it'll appear again. The first chemos were uneventful but the last two ones resulted in a severe cystitis so he is in pain, especially when he pees. So they delayed the last one for a few days. Cross fingers we are done by Tuesday.
      sigpic

Comment

• Good to hear, dada.

I feel like everything you said tracks, o. They don't tell you ANYTHING. And when you ask, they smile and say it's fine?

I went for my second oncology follow-up two days ago and a weird thing happened. The lady doc (junior to my oncologist who uses the term "hubby" and plays love songs in his waiting room) gave me my pelvic exam. She's got a hand up in there and is pressing down on the left side and her face looks ALARMED and I'm like: ?! She pulls back and whips her gloves off and says she can feel my ovary. And I'm like: ooookay? Then she says she's sure it's nothing (!) but she's gonna get the oncology/gynecologist and basically bolts out of the rom. And I'm like: WTF?

So he comes in, asks if he can get up in it and I say yes, and he does the same thing. She continues to look Deeply Concerned. His eyebrows shoot up, he looks at her and kinda whispers, "I felt it." And she nods. ANd I'm like: WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FUCK is going on?

He asks me if I have any pain, any issues, etc. And I'm like: WHY IS SHE SHITTING HER PANTS? And he says it's "unusual" to be able to feel the left ovary but that, since my uterus is gone, things have just shifted so it's no big deal. And also... they can feel a cyst on my ovary but it is ALSO no big deal so long as I'm not in pain.

I peppered them with questions, he demurred and just said to let them know if I find myself in persistent pain! And he'll see me in 3 months. And I said: It's supposed to be 6 months so long as my pelvic is clean. And his eyebrows shoot up and says: Oh, ok.

LIKE WHAT IS HAPPENING.

They wouldn't explain why this was so weird or alarming. He acted like it was nothing to worry about.

I left feeling super confused and baffled. Like every doctor visit.

Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• ISADORA WHAAAAAT.

Why can't they just TELL people WTF is going on??? Do they not understand that we will all imagine much worse things than if they just SAY THE THING ALOUD?

I mean he has to check regularly for five years but they don't expect it'll appear again.

That is such great news, dada! (but sucks about the side effects, obvs.)

Comment

• Is, that is not cool. I wonder if they will put enough detail in your medical records to at least be able to see what they mean. If it were actually bad, they would have made you have more tests, but you would not be out of line to go for a second opinion.

Comment

• My results will post to their site in a few days and I'm gonna review that paperwork closely!
              Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• Oh, and after some googling, I think they were worried I'd developed ovarian cancer. It seems that if you've got cysts on your ovaries after menopause, it's a higher risk for ovarian cancer. So, that's a fun thing to worry about. But, if you've got cysts after hysterectomy, the odds of it being cancer is lower? IDK. It's very confusing and I'm not excited about my body's aging issues.

Comment

• Can they not tell patients what theyíre thinking if itís not an official diagnosis!? Ugh. That is so ridic.

Comment

Working...
                  X