No announcement yet.

Hypochondria as a legitimate hobby

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMG, Res, I'm so glad that chemo effects have been pretty tolerable for you! That's amazing and I have my fingers crossed that you'll keep powering through your treatments like a champ. Taxol can be tough on some so I hope you gets tons of rest in the coming weeks!

ophy, I'm so sorry about all the misinformation your mom has been getting. I don't know why her doc didn't just admit that she doesn't have that much experience with your mom's disease and refer her to a more knowledgeable provider. Physician ego aside, that would have been the most responsible course of action. It super sucks, but it's actually not uncommon for people who live in smaller towns to get either misdiagnosed or mistreated by their local physician. Often they just lack experience or are technologically handcuffed by their institution to provide the most accurate info. If she's anywhere near you, she could have easily been referred to Duke or someplace similar that has a wealth of resources and clinicians available. Yay, 'Murican healthcare.

Comment

• Ophy! Why on earth would you think it was your fault? Not even a little bit.
      sigpic

Comment

• ophy, I FULLY support the idea of slapping that doctor.

Comment

• Ha! We did use to get into giant fights when we were kids. She was always a dramatic child who told BIG STORIES back then. I remember once how she bragged about how her daddy bought her a white tiger for her birthday but that the rest of us kids couldn't see it because we weren't good enough to but MAYBE she would let us see it if we gave her all of our Barbies and then we could take a ride on her tiger but probably still not.

I don't EXACTLY blame myself, but I probably should have tried harder to insulate them from all of this until we had more info, but my mom made that really hard? Every time I turned my back she was telling them what nonsense junk she was going to leave them in her will etc.

Comment

• O, I am so sorry your family is getting its chain yanked in this way. So much incompetence.

Res, go you! I am glad things are going well.

Glad all is good with Mr Dada as well.

Comment

• O - hope all is going well with your family!

Hey all!
              Well - I should have known my good luck wouldn't last. Taxol is kicking my butt. It started on chemo day - my chin and neck were really itchy. For the most part I managed not to scratch too much but still that night the whole area was red.The next day was fine, other than my stomach hurting - not upset but just like someone was squeezing it. The second day (Thursday) after chemo it seemed the rest of the side effects started to kick in. I woke up with aching muscles from just under my shoulder blades up to my jaw, shoulder joint ached, knees ached, toes were sore. But I had to go in for a CAT scan - - soon as I went outside I realized I was sensitive to sunlight - my sunglasses didn't help a damn bit. During the day my calves started to ache. Tylenol helped a bit, as did THC toffee but not a lot. Haven't slept well. Friday was worse - I just laid in bed most of the day. Today is a bit better - toes and calves aren't as sore. But I threw up a little while ago despite taking an anti-nausea pill. Hopefully - this is the last day of these side effects.
              But still - other than these past few days I've been doing really good. I've been researching how to deal with these side effects so hopefully next Taxol session won't be so bad. Mostly I'm planning holidays I can't take! I really want to go to England. So I'm researching that - - which is more fun than researching cancer stuff.

Comment

• Res! OMB that does not all sound good at all!

How many more sessions do you?

my chin and neck were really itchy. For the most part I managed not to scratch too much but still that night the whole area was red.

When my Grandma-in-law did chemo, her least fave side effect was that the bottom of her feet turned bright red and itchy. Sounds like a similar thing to your chin/neck issue. I don't think it lasted her much beyond her final session though, so hopefully yours won't either?

Comment

• Aw, Res. Hang in there! You're doing great. I hope next time it is better.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Sorry it sucks, Res. I like your plan of concentrating on vacations during this.

Comment

• So sorry, Res! Keeping you in my thoughts! <3
                      Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• hey all,

​​​h​​​ad the 2nd Taxol chemo on Tuesday. Thankfully the side effects weren't as bad this time; no throbbing toes or fingers, no nausea, no light sensitivity, no hives. I did have sore muscles in my thighs, calves, shoulders. Knees and ankles were sore for a couples days. Stomach was kind of weird for a few days. Constipation.
                        It wasn't as bad as the first Taxol but it was still a bother - - the pain wasn't as bad or as long but it was constant, which is so tiring. I'd be watching tv and just suddenly be so tired. Sometimes I'd go to bed but couldn't sleep. Tylenol didn't help much - it would dull the pain but not take it away. THC was better.

Other than that - I am going a bit stir crazy. For a week after chemo I can't go out in public as I risk infection. If it isn't raining it is still too cold to go out most days. I'm trying to keep busy with reading and sewing and stuff but it sure would be nice to be able to go out. Despite that - i'm doing good - even though sometimes I feel like a wimp.

Back to planning a UK vacation.

edited to add: I've lost my bottom eyelashes, some of my top eyelashes, and my eyebrows are thinning out.
                        Last edited by Res; 06-02-2019, 02:13 PM.

Comment

• Iíve heard that the isolation because of risk of infection is the second shittiest part. Do you have TV and movie recs to burn through? Re: eyebrows, the fiber brow gels that are out now are amazing.

My dad tested positive for Lynch Syndrome, so Iím getting tested on Thursday. I guess insurance only covers it if I get tested within three months of his appointment and he did it back in MARCH. He and my mom waited to tell me because...? So I had a week to get it scheduled. I just canít believe they considered not telling me.

Comment

• Laa- tv wise Iím good: Stanley Cup playoffs, NBA playoffs (although Iím not a huge fan I am watching), some Brit shows on Netflix, and the Great British - and Canadian - Baking Shows on Gem tv.
                            Plus stuff Iím reading. Plus sewing.
                            And a lot of napping.

I hope the testing you have to do turns out ok. Hope your dad is ok.

Comment

• Res, you continue to be amazing. I don't even know what else to say. You're handling it like a champ. We're here whenever you want to vent.

La, I hope you get good test results!
                              sigpic

Comment

• Res, you don't sound like a wimp to me! <3

Laa! Parents are INSANE. My husband's parents keep so much health stuff from him. He's like: this could be hereditary, you total weirdos?
                                Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

Working...
                                X