No announcement yet.

Hypochondria as a legitimate hobby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All oils are terrible, basically? Eat dat butter, ladies.
    Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• Okay, so speaking of health anxiety (which is apparently a real thing! that I might have! and I hate it!), what are you actual medical folks on here doing about Covid-19 prep? I did some panic buying and now have um maybe a bit too much food and too many rolls of toilet paper and a respirator mask and a box of nitrile gloves that immediately made me feel silly, but! Is there a LITERAL SNAKE OIL that peeps with crappy-ish lungs and crappy-ish immune systems should perhaps be dosing ourselves with to boost our immune systems in advance?

BECAUSE I AM READY TO TAKE THE SNAKE OIL GIMME IT.

Comment

• Everyone around me is panicking! I don't know about miracle cures sadly. Take care.
        sigpic

Comment

• I work at Public Health England and am dealing with public enquires coming in. We’re talking to the epidemiologists and consultants daily and really it’s spreading but doesn’t look worse than a bad cold. Certainly not as bad as flu. Don’t panic and wash your hands. (Most common question for first week was if people could eat Chinese takeaways or open packages from Amazon )

Comment

• We're probably under prepared, but my personality just doesn't make space for crisis prevention. I always think things will be fine until they are ABSOLUTELY not fine. I have an adult and kid box of N95 masks, we have a bunch of water, and that's it. I have always been a crazy lady when it comes to handwashing so we make the boys basically hose down all the time anyway. Other than that, we are completely vulnerable.

Comment

• I am going on the theory that I will get it, so I laid in the provisions I would need to care for myself at home: Tylenol, TheraFlu, Mucinex, and cough drops. I don’t usually have medicine in the house, so this was a special occasion. At the grocery store I bought some soup stock, noodles, and frozen vegetables, since my usual lifestyle of living on whatever Uber Eats is providing may not be best when I get it. Frankly I would just as soon get it and stop the anxiety, since there isn’t going to be a vaccine for 1.5 years at the MOST optimistic, and there is no way to stop the spread of it for that long.

That all sounds very reasonable of me, but my anxiety has been a bit much the past week for unrelated reasons, and this shit ain’t helping.

Comment

• I am also assuming that we will all four get it eventually (maybe not as fast as those in big cities, though?) and I'm reassuring my robust-like-oxen kids that they will sail right through it bad flu-style if it happens, but I haven't seen much info out there on how it might affect asthmatics like me. I'm just wondering if there's anything I can do beforehand to make it not as bad once it hits. I have such trouble with antibiotics, so if it turns into pneumonia or bronchitis . . . I dunno how to handle it.

scientologyguru! what are y'all in the UK telling folks with stupid dumbass lungs like mine?

Frankly I would just as soon get it and stop the anxiety, since there isn’t going to be a vaccine for 1.5 years at the MOST optimistic, and there is no way to stop the spread of it for that long.

I was just thinking that the most fortunate people in the US might be the young healthy ones catching it right about now before the hospitals/medical systems get overwhelmed. The people who catch it now and get plenty of attention and treatments and then overcome it can just live their lives for the next 18 months or so without any other concerns about it.

and this shit ain’t helping.

NO IT FUCKING AIN'T.

Comment

• I am going to make a possibly dumbass suggestion - would the pneumonia vaccine help you at all? Because you are right, for people with asthma or other problems, the pneumonia is the danger. But I am an idiot when it comes to medicine, so what do I know.

Comment

• would the pneumonia vaccine help you at all?

That is an interesting suggestion but I don't know! And I haven't found a GP here yet (I know, I know) so there's nobody I can ask.

Comment

• Okay scratch the 'lucky' thing for first wave infectees, this is terrifying:

Japan confirms first case of person reinfected with coronavirus

The reinfection has health officials worried the illness could stay dormant after signs of recovery.

Japan is reporting its first case of a person becoming reinfected with the coronavirus after showing signs they had fully recovered, according to Reuters.

Osaka’s prefectural government confirmed Wednesday a woman working as a tour bus guide tested positive for coronavirus for the second time after developing a sore throat and chest pain. The woman, who is said to be in her 40s, first tested positive in late January and was discharged from the hospital on Feb. 1 after showing signs of recovery.

Reuters reports Health Minister Katsunobu Kato said the government would need to monitor the condition of others who were infected and later discharged as health experts investigate testing positive for COVID-19 after an initial recovery.

As much remains unknown about the virus, cases of reinfection have health experts worried that the illness could remain dormant after an apparent recovery.

“Once you have the infection, it could remain dormant with minimal symptoms,” Philip Tierno Jr., professor of microbiology and pathology at New York University, told Reuters.

“And then you can get an exacerbation if it finds its way into the lungs,” he said.

There have been a number of cases of reinfection in China, particularly in Wuhan province where the coronavirus outbreak originated in late December.

Comment

• Consumer Reports has some no-nonsense advice and I think they agree with me on the pneumonia vaccine.

The new coronavirus that first emerged in China and is now spreading in several countries has left some Americans suddenly fearful of crowded trains, large gatherings, and communal spaces. Health officials have emphasized that the virus is not spreading widely in the U.S. and that the risk to the general public is low. But the situation is evolving.

Luckily, the same kinds of precautions you’d take to protect yourself from colds and flu will also help reduce your risk of contracting the new coronavirus disease (COVID-19) should it become common inside the U.S., according to Jesse Goodman, M.D., M.P.H., a professor of medicine and infectious diseases at Georgetown University.

Here, some of the most important steps to take to stay safe from all sorts of respiratory viruses.

Seriously, Wash Your Hands
                        There’s a good reason admonitions to wash your hands are so frequently repeated. Handwashing is critical in stopping the spread of respiratory viruses and other bugs, and it’s one of several measures the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends for reducing your risk of COVID-19, flu, and more.

When should you wash your hands? At a minimum, do so after you use the bathroom, before you eat, and after you blow your nose, cough, or sneeze, according to the CDC.

It’s also important to use proper technique. That means not just rinsing your hands for a few seconds in the sink, Goodman says. Use soap and scrub for at least 20 seconds.

In your home, it’s a good idea to regularly clean frequently touched surfaces, like doorknobs, handles, and counters.

Keep Sanitizer Handy
                        If you’re in a situation where you need to wash your hands but aren’t able to get to a sink—such as after using public transit—an alcohol-based hand sanitizer containing at least 60 percent alcohol is your next best option.

With flu still circulating widely in many states, cleaning your hands after being in crowded spaces or after touching surfaces in public areas makes sense, Goodman says, and “hand sanitizer is a good, portable way to meet that need.”

Along with washing or cleaning your hands, try to avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.

“Sometimes you can arbitrarily pick up germs in between hand hygiene cleaning, so it’s key to try to keep your hands away from your face and eyes,” says Connie Steed, M.S.N., R.N., president of the Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology (APIC). That’s how viruses can get from your hands into your system, making you sick.

Keep Vaccinations Up to Date
                        According to the CDC’s latest data, this year’s flu shot has been 45 percent effective, which means it reduces your risk of getting sick from flu by about half. It’s still a good idea to get the vaccine if you haven’t had it yet this season. Even if you do get the flu, the vaccine lowers your chances of having a severe complication.

If you’re 65 or older, or you have underlying health problems such as chronic heart or lung disease, you should also ask your doctor about vaccinations against pneumococcal bacteria, a common cause of pneumonia.

There’s not yet a vaccine against the new coronavirus. And while vaccinations against the flu and pneumococcal bacteria don’t offer protection against COVID-19, says Goodman, they can help in some unexpected ways: In case the new virus does begin to spread widely in the U.S., it’s a good idea to do what you can to stay out of hospitals and doctors’ offices, where you might be more likely to pick up the virus.

Reduce Close Contact
                        If you’re sick, stay home from work and other social situations. Employers should make sure their employees know they can stay home if they’re ill, Steed says.

And in general, “you should try to avoid people who may be coughing, sneezing, or ill,” says Goodman. (If you have to cough or sneeze yourself, be sure to use a tissue or cough into the crook of your elbow—and clean your hands right after.)

According to the CDC, respiratory viruses are most often spread between people who are 6 feet apart or less, so if you’re concerned, that’s a safe distance to keep in mind.

What's Not Necessary
                        Using masks. The CDC says that mask use isn’t necessary for healthy people. It’s recommended only for those who are sick themselves and for healthcare workers or others caring for people who have COVID-19.

Avoiding public areas. As the spread of coronavirus progresses, it may become necessary at some point for public health officials to close schools or limit public gatherings. But we’re not there yet, Steed says—there’s no call right now to avoid public places. The best ways to protect yourself are still good hand hygiene and the other strategies listed above.

Comment

• https://publichealthmatters.blog.gov...-need-to-know/

Here’s our blog with further information. At the moment it seems to be amount of exposure over a sustained period hence the situation on the cruise ship and Wuhan. Elsewhere this is dispersed and why self isolation is the best advice. Encouragingly the case numbers have now dropped off massively in China for a week running which suggests the virus peaks and then wanes. Ophy the advice is the same as flu, this is certainly not worse than that.

Comment

• This forum about asthma peeps was somewhat reassuring, but! they actually do not recommend the pneumonia vaccine because it's the wrong kind of thing.

community.aafa.org/blog/coronavirus-2019-ncov-flu-what-people-with-asthma-need-to-know

If people received their pneumococcal vaccine, does that provide any protection for developing pneumonia from coronavirus?

No. The pneumococcal vaccine protects against a bacterial pneumonia (from streptococcus pneumonia), but it will not protect against the pneumonia that COVID-19 causes.

Comment

• I just read that same thing this morning! Bummer. I was about to text my parents commanding that they go get it.

Comment

• In terms of snake oil to just generally boost your immune system for this kind of virus, looks like some docs are saying kale = yes, Vitamin C = no, and elderberry = maybe?

uab.edu/news/youcanuse/item/11141-how-to-prepare-yourself-in-the-midst-of-a-pandemic

(why are links not working for me here anymore SO ANNOYING)

Building immunity

While washing your hands is always recommended, Jessica Grayson, M.D., assistant professor with the UAB Department of Otolaryngology, says certain foods and supplements can help boost your immune system, potentially protecting your body from germs.

Jessica Grayson, M.D.“Foods that contain indole-3-carbinols have been found to reduce the number of viral infections — while this hasn’t been specifically tested in coronaviruses, the prevention of any viral illnesses that may weaken your immune system is and will be important,” Grayson said. “These foods include leafy greens like kale, spinach, collard greens, turnip greens, mustard greens, etc. They can be cooked or raw.”

Grayson adds that elderberry has certain compounds that have been approved by the FDA for use in flavoring of food.

“There are many studies on the antiviral and antimicrobial activity of elderberry,” Grayson said. “It has been shown in some studies to bind to some subtypes of the flu virus to prevent cell entry. However, there are still more studies needed to confirm whether this is true substantial benefit.”

You can also boost your immune system by maintaining a healthy lifestyle, says Lee. Eat a balanced diet, get plenty of rest, and avoid stress.

Grayson also says there is no data to support that increased Vitamin C helps prevent or shorten viral illnesses. In fact, studies looking at this have shown no benefit. Utilizing the leafy greens above in a smoothie can be an easy way to increase intake, but strictly drinking orange or pineapple juice does not have proof of benefit.

Hmmm . . . . beginning to think this whole thing is just a hoax cooked up by docs to make us all eat our greens.

Comment

Working...
                                X