No announcement yet.

Hypochondria as a legitimate hobby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of my BFFs works at major hospital in Chicago in L&D and she has been moved to screening for COVID-19 at the front door of the hospital, basically, separating possible contagious patients out
    They're begging for volunteers to conduct front line screening at our institution. And it sucks because they need clinical staff to make sure the screening is being done correctly and to train new screeners, but all clinical staff here also have direct patient contact with cancer patients so... that's a conundrum. Even clinical staff are being asked to work from home on days they don't have patients so we're already spread quite thin as it is. And this is at one of the best hospitals in the country. I don't even want to know what kind of PPE shenanigans are going on at county ERs right now. Whoever said that the best thing to do is to act like you already have it and stay home like you're quarantined if you can help it was spot on.

Comment

• Guys! I hope you are all ok.

Yeah, the symptoms are all over the place but the one I see repeated the most is tiredness. Like you do the dishes and you have to take a nap. Be safe!

Btw, is Res ok?
      sigpic

Comment

• I feel so shitty you guys. Whatever this thing is went from 'meh just a mild flu' to 'holy beek I can't stand up and it hurts a lot to breathe' really fast. Doc says without a fever he can't even call it a virus let alone get me a test. i almost never run a fever even with the worst flus so... and I'm stil sweating right through my clothes.

when he called the health dept they said our county only has three tests left anyway. they are telling everyone we only have one covid case in our county and I'm calling bULLshit.

Comment

• I am so angry you can’t be tested.

Comment

• This does put it into perspective, though.

I'd much rather NOT be tested if it diverts needed PPE from a healthcare worker who really needs it. It's just frustrating to lie here with Schrodinger's illness when South Korea now has phone booth testing with results in 7 mins that also protects the healthcare worker and doesn't waste PPE.

The US is truly the dumbest place to live right now.

Comment

• Poor, ophy! How are you feeling now? I know it's not much and you know this already but it seems that even if you have it, it's the "mild" one. (I came to realise that even the mild cases are aweful, i.e. much worse than a common flu.)

I wish we had the Korean system here! Our goverment took the righ measures and pretty quickly, but people don't seem to understand! Beaches are full. Gah. I hate people.
              sigpic

Comment

• I'm pretty sure it's a mild one! fingers crossed it stays that way. I've read horror stories of what happens to some people at day 6 -10 when it can take a nasty turn and I'm at day 4, I guess? My only concern is that it's triggering my asthma and feels a little like someone is sitting on my chest. I get woozy if I stand up to go to the bathroom but If I stay mostly horizontal-ish it ain't too bad right now. I've slept a scattered 16 hrs in the past 24 and mr.o is taking care of the kids and house and me.

overall I'm very lucky and now that I know asking for a test is selfish Imma stop doing that.

but I'll be super pissed off if I find out later Influenza A slipped past my flu shot defenses and I've been lying here thinking I was at least gaining some Covid-19 immunity all for nothing.

Comment

• I'm pretty sure flu season is over. That's what they're telling everyone here, anyway. That if you feel ill, then you propably have it. They do leave some leaway for allergies, though. Allergy season is high and that might trigger asthma.
                  sigpic

Comment

• I mean, it’s not selfish to want a test if you’re short of breath and you already have asthma...especially considering how many celebs got tested with NO symptoms yet! Daniel Dae Kim did say on his insta that he got tested in Hawaii at drive-up testing, so at least one state has it figured out, I guess.

A doc friend said they’re trying to treat with anti-malarials now.

Comment

• Hey all - thought I'd check in.

During emergency planning sessions there had been questions about me being immunocompromised but I wasn't too worried about this virus until I saw the crazy people at the grocery store on March 12. On Monday I had a cancer treatment and the side effects, while mild, just made me go, "WTF, why bother?" so I called my supervisor and said I thought it best if I went into self-isolation (using vacation days). On Friday I got an email saying non-essential staff was getting 2 weeks off (paid). So - I might go back to work on April 6 depending on what my oncologist says, how my supervisor feels.
                      I had the flu shot last December - other than side effects from the drug I take in a clinical trial, anti-cancer drugs, and the neuropathy from the cancer, I've been in mostly good health. Maybe a slight headache or two in the past couple weeks (which I am chalking up to stress) and nausea (cancer drugs), sleep is good though, appetite is crap. No problems with allergies or asthma so far *fingers crossed*
                      I think my sister might have had it - we were in CA over Christmas. NYE she developed a cough, it lasted over a month.

right now I'm dong a lot of sewing, Netflix and surfing.

Ophy - man, that sucks. hope you are better soon.

Is - better safe than sorry.

Comment

• STAY SAFE, RES!!! You need a protective bubble around you for reals. My mom was supposed to do her second round of cancer treatment next month, I think? but that seems unlikely now. She's FINALLY agreeing to stay home.

I think my sister might have had it - we were in CA over Christmas. NYE she developed a cough, it lasted over a month.

I would have thought December was too early but who knows. A lot of people are probably side eyeing the flus and coughs they have had in the past few months. We desperately need a serological test to become available so we ca figure out who does already have some immunity built up.

Comment

• Take care, Res! Stay inside. Guys, I can't stress this enough. Your government is doing nothing. Here, everything is closed. We stay in as much as possible. The kids just hang out in the backyard. Just try to stay in. *hugs*
                          sigpic

Comment

• Officially under the 'tine as a presumed positive Covid person, but I won't get the results back for a few days to know for sure. I lucked into a test almost accidentally . . . was feeling much worse today and started coughing a bunch so I call my doc and asked for a regular flu test because hey, any info would be good info to have, right? We did a curbside flu test and it was negative and so he just whipped out a precious precious Covid test and started swabbing away. He only has the two tests to last him this week, so I was surprised for sure. He must have not loved what he heard/saw when he examined me through the car window.

The swabbing part was actually worse with the flu test, because those swabs were HUGE and the Covid ones are much smaller. He swabbed up each nostril, nearly to the brain, tickle tickle. Then he also swabbed way down my throat twice and I gagged a bunch and it was awful.

Then he handed me a bunch of paperwork of quarantine procedures and I had to sign an agreement to quarantine form and that was it. I assume by the time I get the results, I'll probably be already over it. I hope so anyway, because this has been a Very Bad Virus and I Hate It So Far.

Knowing if I actually had it will be really helpful going forward, though, and it's better to add data for epidemiologists to study anyway.

But i feel awful that they wasted PPE and a test on me when it could have gone to someone much more deserving, like that girl that was on the Bacherlorette or Some Dude That Used The Congressional Gym After Rand Paul Did.

Comment

• So how are you feeling today, ophy? Get some fluids and take care!
                              sigpic

Comment

• Update us often!

I wish there were footage of Trump getting that giant swab shoved up his fat head. No brain there to tickle, though. Just a lonely, rotten bean rattling around in a jar.

My mom said her hospital has enough N95 masks for now. That made me feel slightly better today.

Comment

Working...
                                X