No announcement yet.

Hypochondria as a legitimate hobby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm so lucky that I can work from home, that if one of us lost our jobs we'd still be able to struggle along
    UGH, this. One of our MAs told me that ever since this started, she constantly calculates in her head how many many months her PTO and small savings can stretch if she was laid off right now and she's like actually one of the lucky ones who can claim a small savings. I love and follow Shea Serrano on Twitter and he's been giving money to people who are struggling and some of the tweets he gets are heartbreaking. I realize that maybe a healthy number of them are from scam artists, but even if 10% of them are legit, it still makes me want to crawl in a hole and cry. We've been donating like crazy to so many different places and it just seems like a bottomless pit of NEEEEED everywhere. It's super overwhelming to try and process how many people are scared shitless about their financial situations right now. Also, that stimulus package is some BULLSHIT for real. What is 1200 bucks in May gonna do for people who need to pay rent and eat in April? Canada is giving people 2k every month for like 3 months or something. It makes me so RAGEY and I don't even qualify for any of it.

Comment

• There was an image of a really really long line of cars waiting for the Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank to open yesterday, and it was scary to think how they’ll keep up with that. I donate to the food bank regularly, and I am going to do more while I am able. I mean: I would pay more taxes if you’d like, but we would waste it on the wall and not feeding the hungry or caring for the sick, so food bank is the best I can do.

When we got the WFH order, some of my more entitled coworkers were like “Will the company buy us a chair?” And my VP Eng (who I have been on the fence about but this made me love him) was like “No, you are privileged and the company is using their money for people who are not.” I am only slightly paraphrasing; he said it pretty much like that.

Comment

• I've been in self-isolation since March 14 - - only been out for a doctor's appointment and a couple walks. Since it wasn't doctor ordered my work had me use vacation days. Then I was deemed non-essential on the 23rd - so I didn't have to use my sick days.
        Yesterday I got an e-mail from my supervisor - I'm expected to volunteer to put together food hampers for the elders in my community. I pointed out that a few weeks ago that there were concerns with the emergency planning committee about me being immunocompromised - so they might tell me not to bother.

There are two reserves near my reserve, and three more within an hour drive. Most have closed access - some officially, some with citizens who just set up barricades. Most people drive from the surrounding communities to buy tax-free (illegal) cigarettes, cheap gas (currently about 50cents/litre) and hit the weed shops. The day before one reserve closed down there was a miles long line up of cars to get on the rez for the cigs, gas, and weed. It got quite ugly - people got really racist and were bitching out the people manning the barricades. But it has to be done - so many us fall into the high risk categories: diabetes, respiratory issues, cancer. Elders are especially at risk - plus there are some elders that are language speakers - - we can't loose that resource. Due to housing issues if one person got sick it would go through the communities like wild fire.

As for the $2K that the gov't will be giving us - I'm not sure I qualify because I am full-time and currently getting full pay. But I will check it out. It will be nice it I qualify!

Currently playing online games, stress baking, sewing (ribbon skirts, trying my hand at a quilt, and masks).

Comment

• Well done, Res! I'm so glad you are okay. Take care.
          sigpic

Comment

• It got quite ugly - people got really racist and were bitching out the people manning the barricades.

People are such assholes, Res!

Currently playing online games, stress baking, sewing (ribbon skirts, trying my hand at a quilt, and masks).

Good to know you are winning quarantine, though.

My Covid-19 test came back negative this morning which has me feeling some VERY MIXED EMOTIONS. The doc said they have been seeing false negatives, which is why the manufacturers were trying to get everyone to do a minimum of two tests but that's not feasible in a world where most can't even get one.

I will just assume I had some other nasty virus, I suppose.

Comment

• How are you feeling?

Comment

• I hope you're on the mend, o!

My friend is a nurse and had all the reported "mild" case symptoms. She waited in a car testing line for 3 hours and then waited 5 days for the results and she was also negative. And she's like: So, what the fuck do I have then? How did I run a temperature for two days and have severe aches and chills throughout my body (that started about seven days after being the person that screens out people who think they have COVID-19 from coming into the main hospital to divert them to the quarantine area)?

Given that there it appears to be a known issue that there a lot of false negatives and the testing via car seems *not* ideal, I truly wonder how many people are getting false negative results? I mean, I know I've had a range of insane symptoms since this started that were all stress related (upset stomach, face breaking out, elevated heart rate, etc.) but I haven't managed to give myself a fever and chills!

I trust nothing at this point, I guess. And the movement away from mass testing to endless triage is insane and terrifying. We truly have a leadership vacuum at the top that is going to lead to more death just from ineffective management. It makes me crazy.

Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• This is so weird.
                  sigpic

Comment

• . . . 27% false negatives. well, that's not reassuring. That's the same kind of swab test I did.

Comment

• Wear a mask, y'all. It's our only hope and will be recommended as the standard soon enough. My BFF nurse, who is usually chill AF about germs was like: It's time to wear masks, even fabric ones. We can't trust the tests, we can't trust the federal government, many states can't trust their local governments, and we're all on our own, basically. Stay home and, if you have to go out and get supplies, wear a mask of some sort!

We are lucky enough to have a 3-pack of N95 masks left over from our bathroom renovation a couple of years back. Mr. Is found them in the basement in a new container. We told my nurse friend we would give them to her but she said to save them for ourselves. Her hospital still has plenty of surgical masks (for now). She said we should save and reuse them for our own (rare) outings.

How are those of you who are staying home handling your need for supplies? I've been doing to the store about once a week and staying home otherwise. I did one porch pickup of a lot from an estate sale. That was a big thrill! LOL.

I have started getting delivery from a Chicago-area dairy called Oberweiss. They do weekly home delivery, which has been GREAT. They have every dairy product and quite a few add-ons like frozen meats from local and regional distributors. I'm making my own bread but sourcing bread flour has been a challenge. So I ordered a 25-pound bag from a rural Illinois mill. It's supposed to be delivered today!

I already did Amazon Subscribe and Save, and so I upped that to get all the cat food and litter I'd need for the month. I know Amazon is bad to their workers, but I'm already unethical about shopping there? Heh. I also cut way back on my random Amazon purchases as a way to offset overusing it. So we are just getting the monthly order and then we have ordered one other thing since this started (lightbulbs and random craft supplies).

I've been trying to find a fresh produce delivery service. Peapod went out of business in the midwest in February (man, if they had just hung in there!) so I signed up for Imperfect Produce but I'm waitlisted to mid-April.

I spent like 15% of my day obsessing over personal supplies and sourcing weird things and worrying about my job/my husband's job. Luckily, he works for a pharmaceutical company that supplies some of the drugs needed when folks go to the hospital with COVID-19. His boss thinks they won't be looking at layoffs.

Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• I bought some masks off of Etsy that someone had sewn. If I ever go to the grocery store again, I will wear one. I have not worn it for my walks around the neighborhood.

How are those of you who are staying home handling your need for supplies?
                        I order from Amazon and Whole Foods and one time from Costco. It’s all evil, but I tip the drivers really well to assuage my guilt. With Whole Foods I have been able to have fresh produce throughout this, so I am calling that a win. I am just one person though, so I don’t need a ton.

Ophy, as soon as I saw you say you were negative I suspected you were one of the bazillion false negatives. I guess we’ll see once they get the serological test ready, which may be sooner than the vaccine? Who knows.

I am now going to whine about myself. Sorry. So I mentioned I decided to get back on my anti-anxiety SSRI in hopes that I wouldn’t lose my cool in this solitary confinement. TOTAL FAIL. I had been on it for some years successfully, but I just spent the most miserable two weeks with every side effect they list (okay, only most of them), to include sweating, nausea, craxy insomnia, tremors, headaches, anxiety through the roof, agitation, etc. My doctor told me to suck it up and take Xanax twice a day and it would be fine in 3 months, but Xanax made me feel like I was seriously losing my mind. So I am saying screw all of that and taking myself off of it and I’ll just be as anxious as I want to be without chemicals making me MORE anxious. I took my last 1/4 pill last night and I hope I don’t get the brain zaps too bad this weekend, but I don’t have anything else to do, so if they come I will just sit on my couch and deal.

It’s not as bad as having Coronavirus, obviously, but I needed to vent that out anyway.

Comment

• Ugh, that sucks. I'm only taking basic supplements that my doc had recommended. I'm more anxious than I've been in my life so I can't imagine how tough it is for those who already struggled with it! And taking drugs that make the problems worse is no way to live!

I'm only taking supplements my doc has long recommended, including Vitamin D because I'm woefully deficient.

I feel very tired, flaky, it's hard to focus, I'm randomly angry at lots of stupid things, and I'm feeling pretty isolated. I love Mr. Is but he's not very chatty, and I didn't know how much random chattiness I get at work and from outings -- and I'm not even that social, so that's been surprising.

Comment

• I’ll be okay; I am not the most anxious person you’d meet. It’s probably better for me to cope without chemicals; it will inspire me to exercise more to generate endorphins.

I am tired too, and lonely. I have loved living alone, but you’re right - the random chatting at work is missing from my life, and the occasional evening out. I used to walk down the hill and have dinner sitting at the bar of a pub near me. And they knew who I was even though they didn’t know my name, and I miss just having that place where I was part of the background and could be completely comfortable surrounded by familiar strangers.

Unlike everybody, I have not been cleaning and reorganizing my house. Maybe I can make some progress this weekend.

Comment

• ACK. The test reliability is so shitty. “It works 60% of the time...Every time.” One of my favorite uncles was sick for over 10 days and finally got a test. Positive. He’s at his local hospital because he’s a diabetic with high blood pressure, but he’s getting his sense of taste back and he needed to be on less oxygen today, so yay.

Since my last gigantic grocery run (right before we put ourselves on full lockdown), we’ve gotten milk from my in-laws for the babe, and Mr. Laa went to the liquor store once. We’re trying curbside grocery pickup next week. Ordering masks tonight because I don’t feel like sewing and I’m pretty sure we don’t have filters to insert. Our goal is to do our best to not let anyone outside of immediate fam breathe on us until 2021. I’ve been reading fluffy YA novels and I have no idea how some people are watching stuff like Contagion and Outbreak right now. How are those comforting?

Comment

• I also only want to watch Care Bears right now. Anything else is officially TOO DARK. Mr. Issie couldn't resist the pull and watched Tiger King, but I gave it a hard pass despite seeing it everywhere on SM. I just don't have any desire to spend time with like, the worst people, you know?

How are those of you who are staying home handling your need for supplies?
                                I liked my pickup and go experience with our grocery store. I didn't have to leave the car, they opened the back, dropped it off, I held out a tip, and was on my way. Our parents are doing instacart so they never have to leave the house. Everything gets delivered and if my mom doesn't like some produce that she gets, my sister will pick up stuff for them and drop it off. One of our favorite delis has converted itself into a small market while they can't have diners and they sell family packs that have deli meats, eggs, cheeses, snacks, and in season produce for a hundred bucks. We got one yesterday and it's good stuff. We'll keep buying from them.

Wear a mask, y'all.
                                If you're gonna do a cloth mask for the purpose of protecting yourself, you can buy disposable mini filters that you just tape or velcro inside if your mask doesn't have a pocket. I know some people are just using cloth ones to protect others in case they are sick and asymptomatic, but if you're gonna go through the hassle of masking every time you have to leave the house, why not also look out for yourself? Anyway, they're less than 20 bucks for a pack of fifty which should last a couple of months if a family of 4 leaves the house once or twice a week.

My coping activity has been to exercise compulsively. I'mma be RIPPED by summer. If I was being a brat, I'd use this opportunity to convince Mr. Issie that we NEED a Nordictrack treadmill to replace our current treadmill because incline, DUH. He wouldn't be able to find it in himself to say no to me right now.

Comment

Working...
                                X